Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #41
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are sonograms really safe??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbreb View Post
Don't worry about it mama. I know there is some concern but if you really think about the amount of ultrasounds that go on and the number of healthy babies I dont think there is much to worry about. Yes it would be nice if they would look for proof but for us mamas who NEED them should not worry IMO. I get them weekly to bi-weekly because of my cervix and issues with a high risk pregnancy. (Depends on HOW bad things look) It is more important that you worry about the real risk to your baby (early delivery) than an obscure, possible, not proven link to something negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borncrunchy View Post
Here's the thing, ultrasounds have NOT been proven safe, in fact there is tons of info to say otherwise, BUT, in your case, (I'm assuming incompetent cervix? That's what I have...) the benefits outweigh the risks. Just remember that my last 2 had TONS of ultrasounds due to very short cervix and funneling with the 2nd baby, and short cervix and bleeding with the 3rd. I had cerclages placed with both and the drs needed to monitor my cervix to make sure I didn't lose the baby.

Keep in mind, routine and elective csections are also VERY dangerous, but they have a very important place in obstetrics, and when it truely is necessary for a baby to be born via csection (I don't mean failure to progress or drs failing to allow moms to VBAC) the benefits of that very dangerous surgery far outweigh the risks

Both my C-sections saved my daughters' lives. My eldest's head was being crushed, literally crushed. My second I couldn't have VBAC if I'd wanted to. I got pregnant too close to the first. I was so miserable with pain, and that C-section was scheduled, but we ended doing an emergency one to keep from killing myself. ( Long story, prefer not to go into long detail.)

As for my cervix, it looked beautiful until that last appointment. I'm am considered high risk, spontaneous labor without documented cause. This, according to my doctor is more difficult and worrisome because at least with the cause you know where to start. (( the other Dr.s I have seen all say the same, so I am assuming what they tell me is true. Considering there are at least 4 others I have seen.))

My eldest two are beautiful, healthy, and happy. Who knows it there will be issues in years to come, but honestly I think it's okay. Because they get to be here. I adore my kids and do any and everything I can to maintain and care for their well being in all things. When it comes to u/s the ideas I could be causing them issues far into the future, or even for life scares me. But the thought that if I don't they might not even get a chance at life...... it is worth it. I would prefer to have a child that is dependent upon me for their entire life then to lose my child. ( My personal opinion, of course.)

Advertisement

Abby (11) Hailey (9) Katlyn (6) Savanna (2) Grace (1) Angel baby May 2011, and Angel Baby Dec 25th 2011. & ANNABELLE Oct. 17th 2012!!!
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote