Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Sophia&Daria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Charting Mamas

I bought the book Taking Charge of Fertility, a very well known guide to learning how to chart. In the process of 'learning', I got pregnant. It seems complex and hard to get on the flow of things... remembering, and just knowing how to apply everything in the chart. Anybody else found it hard to start? How did you learn? How has it been going? Any tricks or tips to make it easier? Did you take classes?

I really need to learn before this baby comes because I know for sure I will not have time to afterwards. I really don't want to go back to pills, or anything else with hormones.

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Charting Mamas

sign up at fertilityfriend.com. or use the TCOYF software, its way easier to plug everything into a program than to do it by hand in my opinion. It'll take a week or two to really get the hang of thingsbut once you do its super easy. Good luck!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
psylion
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b
sign up at fertilityfriend.com. or use the TCOYF software, its way easier to plug everything into a program than to do it by hand in my opinion. It'll take a week or two to really get the hang of thingsbut once you do its super easy. Good luck!
This exactly
Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, while breastfeeding, it's harder bc you often don't have a cycle. BUT it is good habit to get in the practice by charting everything each day as mentioned above.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
Honestly, while breastfeeding, it's harder bc you often don't have a cycle. BUT it is good habit to get in the practice by charting everything each day as mentioned above.
I totally agree.
It was also impossible for me to chart until my baby was night weaned.......the frequent waking at night made my temperatures go all over the place, I couldn't get a consistent pattern at all. Add to that my wacky cycles from BFing; I gave up charting for a while. I relied on other fertility signs (and we used condoms) until my cycle --and sleep!-- got regulated.

But yes, I loved fertility friend and would just sit down every morning to enter data.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Fertility friend now has an Android app. First were were TTA, then it's how we planned to conceive, and worked the first month!
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used a barrier method until I was sure what was going on.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

i really love tcoyf.com you can get the free version of the charting software there and they have forums you can ask questions in, which i found extremely helpful when getting started. at first it was confusing, and i wasn't really sure what i was doing. but over time, you get a feel for it, and by the time i was ready to ttc, i was much more accurate, and had a much better idea of what was going on. i loved it!

i've never done it pp or while bfing and not having a regular period (used the mini-pill with ds), so it will be an adventure after this baby is born for sure! but i plan to re-read the section on pp charting in the book, and getting back in the rhythym of charting everyday, knowing what to look for, etc. we'll probably just use condoms until i get a good feel for it. we don't love condoms, but, well, having to use a condom on is a lot less irritating than another baby so we live.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
1healthylady
Registered Users

I think I read the important parts through about 3 times. My first cycle was just a 'practice' cycle while I was still on BCP, just to get myself in the habit of temping and charting it. When I went off BCP I was still reading the book constantly, DH used to make fun of me a lot for that. FAM worked really well for us, but you have to follow the rules. If you ever unsure whether or not you O'd, use a barrier method. The forums at tcoyf.com were extremely helpful. I charted with the online software just to have the computer give me the cues, but I also charted with an Excel spreadsheet where it was easier to see all my miscellaneous info in one place (I admit, I am a little OCD). This also gave me a nice printout at the end of each cycle, and I could keep it a lot longer than the free software, which only stores 3 cycles I think.
There is a section of the book to read for FAM while BFing. I haven't gotten there quite yet, but we do plan to stick with FAM after this LO's born.
1healthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
waitingforbaby
Registered Users

I just took my temperature the moment I woke up every morning. I charted my temperatures using Microsoft excel's graph (it's easier to see the spikes on a graph) and then we used condoms for about 10 days before I expected my temperature to spike. The day after the temperature spike, we didn't have to worry about using condoms. We did this successfully for two years before deciding we were ready to get pregnant. Not a bad system!

I'd like to keep doing it after giving birth... from what everyone else is saying, I guess that means waiting until after night weaning.
waitingforbaby is offline   Reply With Quote