Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Any momas enjoy shooting/hunting?

I have a really bacd neck and back so the only thing i can shoot anymore is a 22. I really and truely miss hunting, but it's illegal to hunt with a 22. I just can't handle anything elese or we would stat saveing, kwim.

I know it's not the typical lady like thing on here. So I was practiceing with dh a min ago and was wondering if I was alone in this hobby/enjoyment? I'm getting ready for rabits getting in the garden. I need to get more practice, but did well. I'm still excited I had so much fun!

Tell me about you! Do you enjoy hunting, or just parcticing? Anyone?

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
1healthylady
Registered Users

Re: Any momas enjoy shooting/hunting?

I've just gotten into it, but I enjoy it! You're not alone! We bought some land last year and haven't started our build yet, but the goal is to homestead, including hunting. Our acreage backs up to 30,000 acres of Wildlife management area, and then a lake, so we've got our own little hunting grounds. There are tons of deer (and snakes, alligators, etc) back there. I haven't done much more than target shooting, but I've gotten pretty good with our 22. What other rifles did you enjoy shooting with?
1healthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
mommygonewild
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband hunts deer, duck and turkey although he's yet to get a turkey. I shoot a 410 shotgun and his 12 gauge. I'd love to hunt with him but I don't have a license and here in FL you have to take a training class. I'll probably take it soon so I can tag along. Although part of me thinks he kind of doesn't want me tagging along, I think he thinks I'll be loud and clumsy and scare off all the game.

I LOVE the outdoors and we ate venison for weeks straight after he got his last doe. It WAS so fresh and yummy. lol
Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Hellga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I shoot but I've never hunted. I'm not sure if I could...I'm a big softie! Plus, long guns hurt me so bad when I fire them...last time I shot a single shot from our 12ga it left me with a softball sized bruise on my shoulder I have two handguns and I'm working towards competitive level target shooting. I also have my concealed carry license so my main gun goes everywhere with me! I love shooting...it's oddly relaxing and the smell of gunpowder makes me happy...too many firecrackers when I was a child, I think, lol!
Slowly but surely making money with Swagbucks!
Hellga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haha! I love the smell too!

I used to love to hunt with my 12 gauge and a 16 gauge.

My have quite a few handguns and rifels. I just don't like the handguns and anything but a 22 just hurts by neck too badly. I can't take the chance of further injury to one of the disks. There is also a law here to take the class before you can hunt. We moved here about 4 yrs ago from Fl. Near Palatka, so not to far from G-ville, lol. I do miss the fresh gator for sure. And going shrimping and filling that cooler! We traded it all in for seasions, we do love it here. My family is still in Fl, as is most of DH's.

DH finally got his carry permit a few months back. We mostly use carry it on trips and for camping. I'd love to get one, but I don't think the "concieled" term applies to hauling a shotgun around with you everywhere, haha.

I smelt that fresh powder this morning and it just brought back such fond memories, and a feeling of relaxasation. I sound silly. I know one of you momas can relate though. We really want the boys to go hunting with daddy but I believe the age here is 12-13? I thought 9 would be a good age.

I wonder if you are disabled they will let you hunt with a 22, lol? I think it's just the danger of it though.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 04-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you considered a .410 shotgun? I have two and love them. My old gun is just a little single shot break action. But my nice gun is a pump Remington 870. But those little guns kick no worse than a .22

When I do need a rifle I use a 243. It's considered a varmint rifle, but if you're a good shot you can pretty easily drop a deer. It's actually what my grandpa hunts with now that his back is shot. I would be leary of trying a 243 though, it does have some kick. Not much but it is there. For me, it's not enough to make me hurt if I take it easy.

I'm a lot like you, I love guns and shooting, but my back is to fragile to mess with the big guns. But with the right gun you might do better. I can't do a lot of shooting with my rifle, but with a good butt pad and packed into my shoulder right I can shoot about 5 rounds before I start feeling it. Any more and I'm worried though. But I could plink away all day on my shotgun and never feel it. You don't even have to put that thing up to your shoulder because well, it doesn't kick.

Last edited by slimy72; 04-07-2012 at 07:53 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Have you considered a .410 shotgun? I have two and love them. My old gun is just a little single shot break action. But my nice gun is a pump Remington 870. But those little guns kick no worse than a .22

When I do need a rifle I use a 243. It's considered a varmint rifle, but if you're a good shot you can pretty easily drop a deer. It's actually what my grandpa hunts with now that his back is shot. I would be leary of trying a 243 though, it does have some kick. Not much but it is there. For me, it's not enough to make me hurt if I take it easy.

I'm a lot like you, I love guns and shooting, but my back is to fragile to mess with the big guns. But with the right gun you might do better. I can't do a lot of shooting with my rifle, but with a good butt pad and packed into my shoulder right I can shoot about 5 rounds before I start feeling it. Any more and I'm worried though. But I could plink away all day on my shotgun and never feel it. You don't even have to put that thing up to your shoulder because well, it doesn't kick.

The .410 or 870? We don't own either of those, but if it really has no more kick than a 22, there may be hope for me going hhunting again! I used to be good enough to drop a squirel right through the kill zone from quite the distance. I havn't even practiced in years because of so much fear. I'd be willing to start saveing up for one if it would really work for me. I'd have to do some major brushing up, lol. And take the darn safety class. I'm excited at the potential!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dh is a hunter. I enjoy target shooting from time to time, but I seriously lack the patience for hunting. My dad tried to get me into it as a kid, but I just never enjoyed it. DH seems to enjoy getting up at the butt crack of dawn on cold winter mornings to go deer hunting, so I'll leave him to it
Old 04-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Funny this was posted, I was going to write something similar I dont shoot guns yet, I grew up with both parents shooting, dad did some hunting waaay back in the day but mostly just target/fun shooting. My mom has license to carry and practices regulary, and enjoys going to gun shows when they are in town. I, for some reason, was always leary of guns; they scared me and I really wasnt interested. Now that I am getting into disaster prepping though, I find having firearms goes hand in hand and so hubby and I are researching guns and trying to figure out what would be good for us.

I am, weirdly enough, interested in bow hunting, and my hubby bought me a recurve bow 2 christmases ago which I LOVE! Of course a few months after I got it I ended up pregnant so quit practicing, but I took it out a couple of days ago and it was so much fun. Kids were cheering me on everytime I hit the target which surprisingly enough was 2 out of 12 shots...pretty good for so little practice. I also like slingshots (of course for small game) but was always pretty good with those when younger. Guess I'm kinda old school in the weapons department
Old 04-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Hellga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to get into bows too! I would love a simple fiberglass or wood bow, recurve or long. They're so expensive though!

I was apprehensive about guns at first but I found that I felt a lot more comfortable with a revolver than I had thought I would, because the way it works is all visible and understandable. I love my revolvers! Semi-Auto pistols scare the everloving crap out of me; I won't fire one at all. I mean, if my life was in danger and someone handed me one, I'm sure I could deal with it...but I'm not gonna target shoot with it and I'm sure as heck not gonna carry it in my purse!
Slowly but surely making money with Swagbucks!
Hellga is offline   Reply With Quote