Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any momas enjoy shooting/hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniMami View Post
Funny this was posted, I was going to write something similar I dont shoot guns yet, I grew up with both parents shooting, dad did some hunting waaay back in the day but mostly just target/fun shooting. My mom has license to carry and practices regulary, and enjoys going to gun shows when they are in town. I, for some reason, was always leary of guns; they scared me and I really wasnt interested. Now that I am getting into disaster prepping though, I find having firearms goes hand in hand and so hubby and I are researching guns and trying to figure out what would be good for us.

I am, weirdly enough, interested in bow hunting, and my hubby bought me a recurve bow 2 christmases ago which I LOVE! Of course a few months after I got it I ended up pregnant so quit practicing, but I took it out a couple of days ago and it was so much fun. Kids were cheering me on everytime I hit the target which surprisingly enough was 2 out of 12 shots...pretty good for so little practice. I also like slingshots (of course for small game) but was always pretty good with those when younger. Guess I'm kinda old school in the weapons department
I used to shoot a bow, haven't in ages, but I was a good shot when I was 12! It gives you NICE arm muscles too! I kind of want to get back into it, but I have so many other expensive hobbies that I haven't wanted to spend the money on a bow. Dh has one, but I can't pull his

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #12
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I like to shoot our 22. I used to do it more before we had kids. The hubby would take me target shooting to teach me. Now I just shoot a groundhog if I happen to see one and so on.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Back until my grandfather passed away (2009), he used to take me out turkey hunting every spring and fall. I continued to deer hunt 'til I became pregnant with ds... only made it out a couple of times t hat season (2010) and this past fall I just didn't see how I could make it out there. Hoping to get back into deer hunting this fall, as I dearly miss (no pun intended) eating venison!

Sent using the DS Forum Android app
ISO: interlock, M/XL GMD workhorse IHA: Fleece soakers, wool shorties, prefolds
Hannah Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I don't do it personally, I can't get rid of that flinching reflex. But dh is a RSO at our local range and shoots trap and reloads pretty regularly. I'm the clip re-filler. LOL

ETA: I read down a little further, now bow-hunting is something I would love to get into. Dh and I talked about getting fitted last year and never did anything about it. Def. something I could do for fun if we got some land further out. Here in town the properties are too close.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 04-09-2012 at 10:18 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.basspro.com/PSEreg;-Arche...SELL_THUMBNAIL

I found the above bow very user friendly! I dont have that bow personally, I own a Bear Grizzly recurve bow, but when I went to get "measured" and practice a few shots at the store, I used the razorback at I believe a 20lb pull and that was very easy to pull. My bow is 40lb (kinda wide in the shoulders lol), but the Razorback comes in 5 different pounds and is super affordable. My mom asked me to find her an affordable easy to pull bow and that is what I came across, hopefully someone here finds that info useful as well.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #16
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been hunting since I was 12 and my Dad took me to the mountains with him as soon as possible as a kid. I love it but can't hunt much anymore b/c I'm a momma and my DH hunts too.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is it the kick or the weight of the gun that hurts you?
My DH may know of a suggestion for you.

He and my 12 year old DD are avid hunters and I know my DD has one that is a lighter rifle without a big kick. DH bought it for her when she was 8 years old. It wasn't cheap but there are probably others out there that would be cheaper. I can check with him if you want me to.

I like to target practice but I very seldom go and hunt.
My DH and daughter hunt like crazy when it is hunting season though.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #18
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have some back and neck injuries. Many of the disks are bulging and pinchine nerves and I have some othe rissues like degenerative disk disease. The weight makes it no longer possible for me to sit and aim. I start to sway. It hurts to hold up a heavy one as well. The bigest issue is the kick. I can't take the pain and I just simply risk one of those disks finishing off and leaking. I'm avoiding sergery as long as possible, kwim.

I don't think I can go with a .410 though. DH said it wouldn't be the best for hunting for me. I'm a good aim, but he doesn't think it would be a good choice. He had never heard of a 870, unless I said the wrong name to him when I told him about it? To be honest, I'd really like a rifle instead of a shotgun. I used to have a simi-auto 12 gauge with some sort of gas ring? inside that kept it from kicking. I would like to find a rifel, but I'd take what I could get. I'd love to hear any ideas your DH had. My DH know about the basic guns for protection and hunting. Not much about the rared gauges/cal ones. Kinda like me and CD's, haha. I know the more afordable and easier to find ones. Nothing fancy, lol.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, it depends what you are trying to hunt with a .410 (870 express is just the model number with Remington -not a type of gun). It is great if you are hunting ducks or pheasants it's a little small for goose unless you are really close. My rifle is a 243 pack version. It's got a shorter barrel and a composite body so it's very light. I couldn't hold up a "full" size gun do to my back issues, but this gun is made super light for guys that pack in for several days before hunting, makes it perfect for me, light small, very little kick, but still big enough to do what I need it to do. Dh wouldn't be caught dead with a gun that little but he admits that it's plenty of gun to get the job done. Like I said it's the same gun his 80 year old grandpa hunts with for similar reasons. He's been hunting with a 243 for 20 years, he says as long as you can aim it's plenty of gun. I dont' know a ton about lots of different guns I just know about the guns I've researched to fit me.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #20
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd be hunting mainly deer, hog, and small game like rabbit and squirel.

Thanks for the great info!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote