Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
2yo Drinking from a cup problem-- what should I do?

First of all, let me say that we have never used "spill-proof" sippy cups because I was told that they can have a negative effect on oral development. When we did use a sippy, it was a tilty cup.

Right around the time DS turned 2 I started giving him a regular cup and it really went fine. There was a little bit of a learning curve, but after a week or 2 the spills became really minimal. Now, a few months later, he purposely dumps EVERY. SINGLE. DRINK. I give him after a couple of sips. I've been trying to ride it out, hoping that it is a phase but he's been doing this for several weeks now and I'm getting really tired of cleaning up spills- not to mention the waste of milk and water.

We really don't do punishments (sort of following "Unconditional Parenting" with some modification)- the only consequences we have we try to make really direct and logical (i.e.- if you throw a matchbox car at me, the matchbox cars go away for the rest of the day)

I just don't know what I could do to change this behavior. He doesn't seem to care and in fact even seems to enjoy the scramble that comes with a spill (although I try to make as little of a fuss as possible). I'd hate to go back to sippy cups now, since I feel like that's a backslide and the pediatrician really encourages that he be using a cup now.

Ideas? Experiences? Thanks.

Advertisement

marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

Re: 2yo Drinking from a cup problem-- what should I do?

I use the take n toss with a straw. I don't have time to clean up spills nor do I want to. Drinking from straws isn't harmful and if it is I'm harming myself also.

IMO my son spills on purpose and likes it! I just don't give him the opportunity. When he is more mature, he can drink from a reg cup. My dd is 5 and doesn't need a lid, when she was two she didn't need a lid either. My son does...he can drink from a cup, but has more fun dumping it.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd also try using a straw. It's something new that will serve as a distraction as well.

I started my 13m old on a regular cup soon after her first birthday. I still sit with her while she drinks and just remind her gently not to spill. I can also usually see that glint in her eye when I know that the cup is about to be dumped. It does help that she has two big brothers who use regular cups and she wants to do everything she can to be just like them.

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IMO drinking out of cup without a lid is a privlige. If you spill you get a lid. You can get ones that are spill proof, or not spill proof either with a straw or with out. I do have some of the Tupperware cups and lids.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

My son HATES to spill anything. So luckily when he was learning (we started around 1.5) he never purposely dumped anything. My daughter on the other hand loves to spill things. So I anticipate more of an issue with her.

My only suggestion would be to put just the tiniest amount in his cup and have him get more when that is finished. One thing that my son is over the moon about is when he gets to pour his own water or milk. He can get his own water from the fridge now, and for milk I pour it into a plastic measuring cup (like the one w/ a spout, not the handle kind) and he pours it into his milk glass. That might make it seem more of his responsibility. Also, have him clean up his own mess. When my son spills he is responsible for starting the cleanup. I do help him, but he has to get a towel and wipe the spill.

One last thing, how big is the glass that he's drinking from? I have had the hardest time finding tiny glassware for my kids. Finally I found little itty bitty jelly jars on the side of the road, and they're perfect. Try to find the smallest glass possible.

These are similar to what we have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Ball-50th-...ht_2053wt_1285
Old 04-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

Most of the kids at preschool use a cup. My kid is like yours. He only likes his sippys (we have a collection of rejected ones). I figure I'll wait till he gets a little older. I've tried dixie cups like they do at school and other small sized cups. On the list of priorities, it just isn't one of mine.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I do the same thing, if you dump you get a lid. It's totally normal 2 year old behavior. They love to dump things. I found it helped to give DD a cup in the bathtub to get it out of her system somewhat....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
pcjs
Registered Users

Most of the kids at preschool use a cup. My kid is like yours. He only likes his sippys (we have a collection of rejected ones). I figure I'll wait till he gets a little older. I've tried dixie cups like they do at school and other small sized cups. On the list of priorities, it just isn't one of mine.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I do the same thing, if you dump you get a lid. It's totally normal 2 year old behavior. They love to dump things. I found it helped to give DD a cup in the bathtub to get it out of her system somewhat....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

When DS (22 mo) has done this, we just put water only in his cup and only a sip at a time. I also give him water bottles with the sports top for when he is in bed...we bed-share and I have no desire to get splashed at 3am. FTR, DS never had a sippy or cup with a lid, so he doesn't dump too often, just when he is bored, I guess.