Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
swinega
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question How/when to use EPO and RRL

I just got my EPO and my RRL tea today. I also got the RRL caps in case I can't stand the tea..

Question is this- how much/how often should I be taking this stuff.
My midwife suggested the tea because I've had a lot of BHC. She said it will help dull out the BH, and when labor starts it will help make my contractions stronger and more efficient. I want to use the caps regularly.. the bottle says 2 a day with a meal. If I do that, and then add a cup of tea it's not going to be too much is it?

As far as EPO goes, in researching I'm finding different things. Some places say start it orally at 34 weeks, and then vaginally at 36?

If I do that, how much do I take? and then how much should I use vaginally when I start that?

THANKS!!

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
my5sons
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How/when to use EPO and RRL

I don't know much about RRL, but I have EPO softgels that I bought at good ol' Wal-Mart ( yup, I'm being sarcastic! LOL )...they are 1000 mg each, Spring Valley brand, and the directions say to take 1 softgel orally 3 times a day with meals. I haven't been taking them consistently, just when I think of it, so I can't attest to how well they work...and I've heard that a lot of people prefer to insert them vaginally to help soften the cervix. I didn't start taking anything until I was 37 weeks, and I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow. If you use it vaginally you can probably do the same dosage as what you would take orally. Basically, my understanding with EPO is that it won't induce labor, but it can help soften the cervix and make things favorable to prepare your body for labor. Hope that helps a little! :-)
Old 04-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
crunch!910
Registered Users

I started taking 1300mg EPO orally starting at 32 weeks, twice daily. At 37 weeks I increased it to 2 three times daily and inserting vaginally. Well, mycervix IS very soft and gooey. But no effacement or dilation at all.

I just take the RRL capsules. Took those before 30 weeks, three times daily.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I drink RRL every day, when not pregnant and all throughout pregnancy. I don't do EPO though, so I dont know.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

RRL tea is safe through the entire pregnancy and you really can't overdose on it as far as I know. My midwife actually recommends borage oil instead of epo, but I never took either one.