Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Do you have an underweight child?

My dd is 8 1/2, is 48.5 inches tall and 45 pounds naked. Her BMI is 12.9, which is less than the fifth percentile. I know that BMI doesn't take everything into account, but I'm really starting to realize how tiny she is compared to everyone around her. Today we were at my youngest dd's godparents' house for dinner and there was a five year old who was 52 inches tall and at least ten pounds heavier. A year ago she was 47 inches and 44 pounds. She just isn't gaining much at all. Since she was five she has gained four pounds. Is that enough? She is on ADHD meds but that can't be all there is too it or there'd be a ton of waif-like ADHD kids running around, kwim? My mom is small, but I just look at dd and she is skin and bones. I don't know if I should wait till her next checkup and bring it up or bring it up now.

Here's a pic of her from a recent pageant.

Would you be worried?

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
bama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you have an underweight child?

I have one, but I'm not worried. He's always been that way. Today, someone mistook him for a NINE month old. He's 2. If she's always been small, I wouldn't worry too much.
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

Awww she is cute. She doesn't look too skinny to me, but is that average height for 8.5? I don't know, I guess she is just petite?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrammellyFamily View Post
Awww she is cute. She doesn't look too skinny to me, but is that average height for 8.5? I don't know, I guess she is just petite?
Nope, average height for eight year old girls is around 50 inches for most sources I've seen and around 55 pounds. But her weight for height is still really low. For girls around 48 inches she should still be closer to 50 pounds. I have never worried until now that her BMI is so low. She looks like a strong wind could knock her over!

Well, hopefully this means she won't have my weight issues!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Amanda+2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD is tiny she;s 3 in 2 weeks and is on the 0.4th percentile. she looks the same as a 18 month old height wise, and is still in 12 - 18 month old clothes.

She does eat well, loves her veggies but is just petite. Her build is just like your DD's apart from mine has a big tummy. I'm not worried, as she does eat well but just burns it all off.

I always try and think that the percentile chart is a big bell curve. Some kids will be naturally big, and some will be naturally tiny, with the most in the middle.
Amanda+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think most of my kids are technically underweight, my middle DD in particular. As long as she is eating well and still growing some I wouldn't worry about it. I was always very skinny as a child as was DH, so it's just genetics for us.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

My dd is tiny too. I'm not sure how tall but she's the shortest in her class. She turns 8 in Aug. She suddenly went from 40-45 in the last year or so which is AMAZING because she only finally reached the magic weight of 40lbs (booster seat weight) around 6.5.

I try not to be concerned because there are tiny women in DH's family history (his mother, aunt, grandmother all tiny) but it hurts me to see her naked!!

Having said that, what I find fascinating is her compared to her younger sister. She is not quite 3 and weighs 36lbs 90th percentile since she was 3mos old. Both girls born at 6lbs, both bf, both offered the same foods every day. But here's what happens..

dd1 - As an infant she always choked on my milk and spat it everywhere. Now eats all the veg and asks for more. Eats the pasta/rice. Complains about meat and her favourite meal is lentils and rice and is not interested in food.

dd2 - Never ever ever spat up as an infant. Not a drop. Now is a total carnivore. Was eating roast chicken off my plate at 7mos. Not keen on veg.

I find the whole comparison so interesting. Growing up I know that everyone will just say dd2 is a bigger build but really, she eats way more calories every day.
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All three of mine are SOOOO different! DD1 is almost 11, is 5ft and 96 pounds and is average weight. My youngest is almost 3, 37 inches, 36 pounds and is technically overweight. So my oldest wears a 12/14 clothes and a size 5 girls or 7/8 women's shoe. My youngest wears a size 3 to 4/5 in clothes. My middle one (the tiny one) can wear a 4/5 around the waist, and will often share clothes with my youngest. So in the summer a pair of capris for middle dd will become pants for my youngest, and a pair of shorts for middle dd will become capris for my youngest. They share a lot of t-shirts too. It is so funny to me because oldest and middle dd are only two years apart while middle dd and youngest are SIX years apart! LOL
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My kid's are both quite tiny. For DS, I think his ADHD does play into his weight as he NEVER stays still. He's in constant motion. He eats like a horse but burns it off in no time. DD has a ton of food allergies and intolerances, she also had growth issues as an infant. Our pediatrician is fine with their weights, as long as she sees some progress at their visits.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never mind. I thought my other post didn't post, but it did, LOL

Last edited by DalesWidda; 04-08-2012 at 07:42 PM.
DalesWidda is offline   Reply With Quote