Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you have an underweight child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
My dd is tiny too. I'm not sure how tall but she's the shortest in her class. She turns 8 in Aug. She suddenly went from 40-45 in the last year or so which is AMAZING because she only finally reached the magic weight of 40lbs (booster seat weight) around 6.5.

I try not to be concerned because there are tiny women in DH's family history (his mother, aunt, grandmother all tiny) but it hurts me to see her naked!!

Having said that, what I find fascinating is her compared to her younger sister. She is not quite 3 and weighs 36lbs 90th percentile since she was 3mos old. Both girls born at 6lbs, both bf, both offered the same foods every day. But here's what happens..

dd1 - As an infant she always choked on my milk and spat it everywhere. Now eats all the veg and asks for more. Eats the pasta/rice. Complains about meat and her favourite meal is lentils and rice and is not interested in food.

dd2 - Never ever ever spat up as an infant. Not a drop. Now is a total carnivore. Was eating roast chicken off my plate at 7mos. Not keen on veg.

I find the whole comparison so interesting. Growing up I know that everyone will just say dd2 is a bigger build but really, she eats way more calories every day.
Me too! I can see every little bone in her body! I'm scared that if she gets really sick her little body wouldn't be able to handle it. I wish I could give her some of my fat! I gots plenty!!!

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

She looks fine to me. All the kids on ADHD meds are very thin. (I wish I could have some of those)

BUT, if you are worried, I would ask your doctor. I don't think going in right away is necessary, but I say follow your instinct and look into it.

If you say "skin and bone" then I think there's something to your concern. I believe that Moms know when something isn't quite right.

One thing I do know, is that my daughter was "thin-ish" for her age all through grade school (she was big as a toddler) and they were worried for a while, but she was always in the 15% for her weight, it never really changed. He said they only worry if there is a change in percentile.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 3 year old DD is quite thin & petite. She weighs a couple of pounds more than her 14 month old chunky sister.

Is your DD eating well? No other health issues? Has she always been petite? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

But trust your gut, mama. Probably doesn't even need to be said but mama instincts are almost always right on the money. If you feel worried have her evaluated by the pedi.

Fwiw she's very cute and doesn't look skin & bones to me. She's obviously thin but not enough to set off any alarm bells for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Me too! I can see every little bone in her body! I'm scared that if she gets really sick her little body wouldn't be able to handle it. I wish I could give her some of my fat! I gots plenty!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
She looks fine to me. All the kids on ADHD meds are very thin. (I wish I could have some of those)

BUT, if you are worried, I would ask your doctor. I don't think going in right away is necessary, but I say follow your instinct and look into it.

If you say "skin and bone" then I think there's something to your concern. I believe that Moms know when something isn't quite right.

One thing I do know, is that my daughter was "thin-ish" for her age all through grade school (she was big as a toddler) and they were worried for a while, but she was always in the 15% for her weight, it never really changed. He said they only worry if there is a change in percentile.
I agree that some/many kids with ADHD and on meds are thin, but not all. My step grandson is 8 and weighs over 120 pounds. I never used to worry before but the taller she gets the thinner she seems. And she's gotten so pale lately.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post

She keeps going down. A couple of years ago she was in the 15th percentile to the 20th percentile. Now she's in the less than 5th percentile. She's just about off the charts.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
rcarver
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is. She's only 1. But she's short. And she has reflux.
rcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
PinkLemonade7503
Registered Users
seller

I would talk to your ped. ADHD meds definitely cause weight issues, and she might need to switch. Also, five is really young to be on ADHD meds. Is it pretty severe? If so, kids that can't hold still can't keep on weight.

I know it's a hard thing. We dealt with our adopted dd being underweight. Once you get their weight up so many things are better. They sleep better, have better behavior, play better, think better and develop better. It is definitely worth working on.
PinkLemonade7503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have one. I'm not the least bit worried. I was skin and bones growing up so she gets it honest lol She just turned 7 and weighs 41lbs but not sure how tall she is. I know her diet is fine. I just worry about all the times dh comments on her being 'so thin' and saying 'are you ok?' I always pipe up to say of course she's ok and remind him I was the exact same.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 3.5 year old has a bmi of 12.8 which puts her at the 5%. She is very slender and pretty tall. I was always a super tiny kid though and even now im pretty thin. Im not concerned ag this point. At 4 months old she was 25 lbs, at a year 28 lbs so shes only gained 5 lbs since she wad a year old. Our ped hasnt been cobcerned.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

My daughter went to the doc for an illness related apt. She got on the scale 34 lbs no surprise to me,but when we got in the room the nurse glanced twice at the chart. Then said ,"does 34 lbs sound right?" I said yes, shes been that for about 3 years." She then proceeded to tell me she thought their scale was broke. My dd is 6 years old that makes her under 3%tile for weight and 42 inches tall at 4% height. I mentioned it to the doc and per usual (brought it up to prior peds) he isnt concerned said it was good for kids to be on the thinner side and said give her a pediasure everyday for vitamins. At this point im mildly concerned, but in general she's healthy, so I try no to over think it.

Eta: my youngest dd 4 years 8 months age dif is now wearing clothes that my oldest wore during the summer, and has been wearing since about age 2.5. My little is 25 lbs at 21 months.

Last edited by champatlife; 04-08-2012 at 08:55 PM.
champatlife is offline   Reply With Quote