Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #21
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
She's bigger than my smallest child at that age. My oldest was 42 pounds at 9 years old. She was always considered underweight on the BMI chart and she was never on the growth chart at the doc's office. She's 14 and still a tiny thing.

Advertisement

Last edited by Psychomom; 04-08-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #22
llamabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you have an underweight child?

My DD (almost 12) was smaller too. I remember thinking "I don't know why people complain about spending so much $$ on kids clothing"....she was so small she would stay in one size foreverrrrrrrrr. She use to need the jeans with the adjustable waist or they wouldn't fit.
She had the smallest feet too. Well, she's now 5'6 and about 100lbs. She's still underweight, but she's gained 20 lbs in 2 years. So things are looking up. Once she starts her period, I'm expecting her to gain more.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #23
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 4 dd is 25th for height and less then 10th for weight. Her bmi is 10. She went off the chart at 18 months and came back on at 2. She has always been under 25th for her weight. When she was born she was 75th for height and 25th for weight. She's so funny. DS is also only in the 25th for his weight (at his 12 month, we go to 18 month on wed, I have a feeling he's going to be lower now just based on his clothes) he has a big ole budha belly. Dd was trying to push her belly out like his- even as far as she could blow it out you could still see her 4 pack. Yep my daughter has a visible 4 pack.

I don't get concerned about, even though docs have talked to us about dd gaining weight (and we did try- it just didn't work). I was under weight until pregnancy. I am small and dh is 6'2". My kids are probably be underweight or close to it most of their lives.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #24
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeans View Post
My DD (almost 12) was smaller too. I remember thinking "I don't know why people complain about spending so much $$ on kids clothing"....she was so small she would stay in one size foreverrrrrrrrr. She use to need the jeans with the adjustable waist or they wouldn't fit.
She had the smallest feet too. Well, she's now 5'6 and about 100lbs. She's still underweight, but she's gained 20 lbs in 2 years. So things are looking up. Once she starts her period, I'm expecting her to gain more.
The clothes thing is crazy. DD will be 5 in 3 months and we just gave her 2 year old cousin dd's size 2's that she has been wearing forever. She only out grew the height. We just added leggings to the dresses and cut the jeans into shorts. She could still wear them, but we figured of we didn't pass them on now her cousin would be too big for them. Her cousin already can't wear her hand me down shoes.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #25
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLemonade7503 View Post
I would talk to your ped. ADHD meds definitely cause weight issues, and she might need to switch. Also, five is really young to be on ADHD meds. Is it pretty severe? If so, kids that can't hold still can't keep on weight.

I know it's a hard thing. We dealt with our adopted dd being underweight. Once you get their weight up so many things are better. They sleep better, have better behavior, play better, think better and develop better. It is definitely worth working on.
She's not five, she's 8 1/2. She's been on meds since she was six and we've tried med vacations. There is no way, no way at all. The benefits of the meds outweigh the risks at this point.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #26
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Well, it sounds like I am probably just being paranoid. That seems to be my problem a lot lately, lol. She does eat enough I think so hopefully she'll catch up. She's active and seems happy, so......

I guess we as parents always find something to worry about. Next week it will be another kid. Like my "technically" overweight almost three year old! LOL (which I'm not worried about as she's super active and just has the same body structure as her bigger sis)
Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #27
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She looks like ds2. he's in the lower end of normal for his height, im not worried about it. i do give him nutritional shakes when he is here though since sometimes i worry he's not eating enough
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #28
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Well, it sounds like I am probably just being paranoid. That seems to be my problem a lot lately, lol. She does eat enough I think so hopefully she'll catch up. She's active and seems happy, so......

I guess we as parents always find something to worry about. Next week it will be another kid. Like my "technically" overweight almost three year old! LOL (which I'm not worried about as she's super active and just has the same body structure as her bigger sis)
True, right??!! Like I said, my oldest is tiny, tiny, tiny...but my two younger boys are small for their age, too (just not as much as she is.) However, my 2nd child--who is very average--looks like a giant next to her siblings. The other 3 are skin & bones, while she is curvy, round face, round booty, etc. When she was young, she got, "Wow, you're the big one in the family!" comments all the time. Had to put a stop to that!

But to reassure you again, my 2 younger kids that have always been small have at least stayed at the same growth rate. My 14 year old has not; she kept falling off until she was no longer on it. Honestly, I have no idea if she's on it now...she quit gymnastics last summer and gained a ton of weight (for her) but she's still small...she's smaller than your 11 year old! But again, she is not on meds so I don't know if weight should be a concern for you.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #29
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both my girls are TINY! My oldest is 6 and weighs 37lbs and I can't remember her height (42" maybe?). She got sick in Feb and lost 2lbs! I was a small kid. Tiny skinny thing. I weighed 103lbs throughout high school. It's just how I was and it's how they are.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #30
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda

I had to giggle at this. It is always one thing or another isnt it? Also, my 4.5 has always been a big girl. Born off the charts and stayed their until 3 where she landed at 97% As of right now she weighs 4lbs more then myy 7yr old and only 5" shorter. I actually get asked if they are twins a couple times a month

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote