Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Mastitis?

I've been bfing my newborn daughter who is 11 weeks old. I woke up this morning engorged and with significant pain in my left breast. I pumped immediately since my LO was still sleeping. It has hurt all day. It us generally sore but hurts much more if I push on it. It's sore all above my nipple. I've been drinking a lot of water, nursing frequently, massaging it and keeping hot packs on it. It doesn't hurt any worse but in the last hour, I've noticed red splotches all over that breast... They are random splotches and are about half and once across. There's probably 50 or so on my breast. I have no fever or flu symptoms. Any ideas???

Advertisement

yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

It does sound like it could be the beginning of mastitis. You are already doing the right things. Hope it gets better and not worse.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Do you always need antibiotics to treat it?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
porky
Registered
seller

Re: Mastitis?

I had it once. I took vitamin c. I also did a charcoal poultice. That really seemed to help. I was sick with flu like symptoms but was able to get rid of it this way. Also by putting heat on it and massaging. I pretty much stayed in bed all day and let baby nurse as much as lo wanted on that side. I did have an Rx just in case I couldn't get rid of it. But I didn't end up needing to use it. I hope you feel better soon.
porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
robinbird74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama, I also found nursing baby with her chin pointed in the direction of the sore spot really helped clear the plugged duct (i'm sure I read this in one of my breastfeeding books) If you need to, lie baby on the bed and rotate your body over her so that her chin is pointing in the right direction and nurse this way a few times. Do this after applying hot compress and massaging if possible. I've taken antibiotics when I've got terrible fever, chills, etc but it doesn't always end that way if you clear the plugged duct fast...
Old 04-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Keep doing what you are doing and add in some vitamin c and probiotics. Good luck!
greencrunchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Could a clogged duct or mastitis cause my supply on that side to decrease? I generally get 4-5oz at a time if I pump and I was just only able to get 2oz out...
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama28
Could a clogged duct or mastitis cause my supply on that side to decrease? I generally get 4-5oz at a time if I pump and I was just only able to get 2oz out...
Yup. Hope it gets better soon.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much!