Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
eileenAKAmommy
Mommy to 2 special boys
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hes allergic to everything! Help!

My DS2 is allergic to egg, milk, soy, wheat, peanut, tree nut and then environmental allergies.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4

He could still be itchy from the test. DD has a rash for 2 weeks after her last one. The spots over her 3 worst lasted about 2 days then it turned into a rash that covered half her back. Then the poor girl ended up with a virus that made her break out in hives for another 2 weeks. Her system was just too overwhelmed.

For protein- whole grains (your quinoa is a really good protein source, barely is another good one), beans and lentils (make up a bean salad you can snack on), and of course there is always meat. I use to snack on lunch meat and tomatoes and cucumbers. Or Barley and lentil salad, any quinoa salad with beans and veggies. Just think of things you like and how you can mix them or make them work together. Oh- I made a bunch of black bean and rice wraps that freeze. Just heat and eat with one hand. Just black beans, a can of tomatoes with green chilies, onion, garlic and if you want some peppers, brown rice. wrapped in a tortilla (if you can't find some store bought that work i have a recipe that is free of your lo's allergens).

Was he tested for specific nuts or did they just give you the random tree nuts positive? Blue diamond almonds/almond butter are peanut free.
Thanks! He's allergic to peanut, cashew filbert brazil and pistachios. I'm also waiting to hear on the blood test results. 2 weeks!! Poor girl; I hope it doesn't last that long... For whatever reason he's getting rashy on his stomach too, and just super itchy. It's awful that they have to go through this! Anyways, I put garbanzo beans on my list so I can bake them as a snack. I've been doing tuna on salad for lunch, but I'm hungry again an hour later! Idk. I buy the Amy's bean burritos, but I need to try and make my own. I feel like I also need to stay away from tomatoes and citrus because he has reflux, but we are having spaghetti this week. :/
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenAKAmommy
My DS2 is allergic to egg, milk, soy, wheat, peanut, tree nut and then environmental allergies.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Can you share some of your fav recipes? Do you know if some blogs? Lol... His birthday is in 2 weeks, I wanted to make him a cake, but he may just get to nibble an enjoy life cookie instead!! :/ ( he and his brother are sharing a party, their birthdays are 3 days apart.)
E-2.1.14
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mamas talking about sugar allergies; how do you know? Is it just behavioral??
E-2.1.14
Old 04-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

OP It gets easier. One of my older boys was on a severely limited diet when he was little. We learned which recipes we could use and what packaged foods worked. DH and I did a full day shop reading the lables on all our regular brands to find out if they could be used or not or what we needed to replace them with. It was a LONG day but worth it because I knew that certain foods were "safe" so I could still do quick shops when I needed to. We added other foods slowly by researching them and updated our "safe" list by checking lables to see if things had changed every few weeks in our spare time. After a couple weeks it became second nature and not a concern at all to eat this way. In our case DS got the "all clear" at age 5 and we were allowed to open his diet back up again. We found out right before Halloween and I will NEVER forget him being SO EXCITED that he could eat anything he wanted! We were told that it is fairly common for children to outgrow allergies when all exposure is cut off but that they could come back. He is 8 and so far none have returned.

Last edited by mg5g; 04-09-2012 at 12:23 PM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to offer support and let you know that many kids grow to have a tolerance for something they were previously allergic to (especially babies!). Make sure to have him tested regularly and also, with doctors support, consider re introducing some or all of these foods every 6 months or so and checking his tolerance level. My middle child was horribly sensitive to milk, really all dairy and now at almost 3, can tolerate it in small doses so she no longer has to miss out if we decide to have a treat like pizza or ice cream!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mom1mg, awesome story! I hope that happens for ds2 though i read only 20% outgrow peanu allergies.
Doodad, right now the idea of reintroducing anything scares me, especially since he's so little and needs an we have an Epi pen... I dont want to risk having to put him through using I!
Sent from iphone
E-2.1.14