Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Question Grey water filtration and use?

I live in a dry arid part of California, water here is precious and we pay through the nose for it!! I've been toying with the idea of using my wash water and filtering it in some way so that I might use it to water the garden. I make my own laundry soap with fels naptha, washing soda, borax and vinegar for softener. I've seen a few plans where they used a large trash can or plastic drum filled with sand to filter it out like a rain barrel, but has anyone put that into practice? It just seems so wasteful and pointless to hear my washer click off and all that water dump right back into the ground as I stand over my garden with a hose.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Grey water filtration and use?

hmmmmm...I don't know anything about what's in the fels naptha...but the rest of that wouldn't even have to be filtered would it? I would think you could use it to water with.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

The fels naptha is a soap so I have to imagine it would have the same effects as any detergent and I found an article stating that borax can be very harmful to plants. Not to mention the potential for bacteria in the water. I would have to do a trial run on some plants. Def. needs to be cleaned though. I wonder if the local water district might have suggestions on clarifying the water. hmm..
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
The fels naptha is a soap so I have to imagine it would have the same effects as any detergent and I found an article stating that borax can be very harmful to plants. Not to mention the potential for bacteria in the water. I would have to do a trial run on some plants. Def. needs to be cleaned though. I wonder if the local water district might have suggestions on clarifying the water. hmm..
Oh, too bad...my granny always ran her washer out through a hose to water the flower beds and she said it kept the bugs away. Though, I don't know what she was washing with.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use this water on my grass. I don't bother with the veggies because I'm unsure of what might happen if I use it on veggies. I've set up a barrel outside the window of my laundry room (it's on the main floor) and when the washer has filled up, I take the hose that goes to the pipe and hang it out the window into the barrel. I just use a bucket to scoop that water out to my lawn.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd be worried about the Fels Naptha killing things. Though it might be dilute enough to not be a problem. My DH tells me that Roundup is very similar chemically to soap, so I wouldn't want soap on my plants.