Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
CarrieMeredith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Difference in breastfeeding different DCs

With my first two children (both girls) I was a breastfeeding failure...well I felt like a failure. I always had to supplement. Always. Both girls lost too much weight and cried a lot because they were always hungry. With DD1 I would breastfeed her then DH would feed her some formula while I would pump for a full hour in order to get my supply going. I would get maybe 1/2 ounce during those pumping sessions. They never got any better either. Tried all the breastfeeding supplments for myself and it never got any better. I felt like an utter failure.

I just had my 3rd child (a boy this time) and my breastmilk is through the roof. I could feed 3 children with the amount of breastmilk I have. Seriously. I am exclusively pumping because his mouth is too small (two weeks old) and I make enough for him to have roughly 3 oz and then I put away another 6 oz in the freezer. Every single pumping session! Every single time! It's crazy!!! I'm doing nothing differently this time. Except I'm not taking any breastmilk supplements OR eating gobs of oatmeal.

I remember being so super jealous of my best friend when she told me that she pumped once first thing in the morning before feeding her LO and she got 8 oz out. Now that's me every single time.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew the ins and outs of breastmilk production. Why is it so different this time?

Advertisement

Last edited by CarrieMeredith; 04-09-2012 at 02:31 PM.
CarrieMeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

I was unable to nurse my first son due to Hypoplastic breasts, and some interventions that just made my condition worse. I learned that with every pregnancy you gain more glands (or something like that. I don't remember the scientific term) and you can produce more milk. Luckily with ds #2 I am making enough milk for him, although I have NO extra for pumping a freezer stash. So glad you are able to produce excess! Perhaps you will consider donating the extra, or finding a baby who needs it through eats on feet, or onlythebreast.com. Either way, congratulations on nursing successfully this time around! It's a beautiful thing to be able to nurse our babies exclusively.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Difference in breastfeeding different DCs

That's awesome! I would definitely stash all that extra in the freezer as an insurance policy just in case your supply tanks later on. It feels soooo good to know you have enough for baby and more to put away for a rainy day!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Subbing. I was a complete lactation failure with DS and am so hoping I can make more next time. I'd love to know why and how supply can change so much from one child to the next.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I've heard something along the lines of one of the pp's. Something about more ducts or something with each pregnancy. I actually know a woman who had a breast reduction and couldn't nurse the first baby but did pretty well with the 2nd but not fully bf and then fully bf the third.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
I was unable to nurse my first son due to Hypoplastic breasts, and some interventions that just made my condition worse. I learned that with every pregnancy you gain more glands (or something like that. I don't remember the scientific term) and you can produce more milk. Luckily with ds #2 I am making enough milk for him, although I have NO extra for pumping a freezer stash. So glad you are able to produce excess! Perhaps you will consider donating the extra, or finding a baby who needs it through eats on feet, or onlythebreast.com. Either way, congratulations on nursing successfully this time around! It's a beautiful thing to be able to nurse our babies exclusively.
It's not that easy to donate breastmilk, unfortunately. Another big supplier over here...I manually express to take off the edge some nights and get 3-ish oz per breast. It goes in the freezer for when DD stays with DH. When I start pumping...not sure what I'll do.

Letdown hurts terribly, though. I made a lot of milk with DS and now I make so much milk with DD that the LC told me I was "too efficient" and it hurts. Ah well.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Laylas_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had insane amounts in the beginning too. Doesn't it make ya feel wonderful to be so bountiful in milk? Lol

I went back to work and exclusively pumped and dropped too many pumps too fast and now would consider myself low supply as I don't keep up with DD without taking Dom

I would also say that more babies means more efficient breastfeeding. Practice makes perfect. So enjoy it and don't get too confident and lose it! Wish I could go back to those days.

(.Y.)exclusive pumper alumni(.Y.)
member of BWI of Hampton Roads, ask me about babywearing!
Laylas_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
smallthingsnyc
Registered Users
seller

This wasn't the case for me! Enormous oversupply with my son, average supply with my daughter. She wasn't a good nurser though and he came out sucking so I just attributed the difference to that. He just stimulated the hell out of my supply. But really I have no idea.
smallthingsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of my babies have had a great latch. I was so fortunate that I didn't have to deal with bleeding or cracked nipples. Just the normal "tenderness" that might curl your toes for the first few weeks, but nothing that brought me to tears like I know some poor mamas have dealt with.

My differences (and lack of "success") were due to nursing management on my part. With my first 2, I thought I was supposed to stick to a routine or schedule. I would feed the baby if he was hungry, but I also tried to do as close to 3 hours as I could. I would get sooooo frustrated when he wouldn't follow along like the book said. Darn stupid book!!! I won't name it, but I'm sure you all can figure it out.

Anyway, we also started giving a bottle before bed and I started pumping, but got lazy and quit pumping so it messed with supply. I also wasn't confident in myself so I was sure I had low supply, so I kept supplementing and eventually they just got more and more bottles and by 4 months, one day I just didn't offer to nurse and they never looked back.

I'm sure if I had managed my nursing relationships with my first 2 the way I have my 3rd, I would have BF them as long as I have this one (12.5 months and counting). This time I did complete on-cue/on-demand nursing and didn't try to follow a "schedule".

So, I'll say that I won't consider myself a "failure" with the first 2. Sure, I didn't go as long as I had originally planned, but they are healthy, strong, smart kids and I won't beat myself up about it. Some breastmilk is better than none. I'm happy with how long I have nursed DS3, especially since he might be our last.

However, my first 2 were AWESOME sleepers! They took great naps during the day from early on, they slept great at night. DS3, has been a HORRIBLE sleeper! He was 11 months before he would take a nap in his crib, it was always in my carrier, and they were short....20 minutes. Kinda hard to sleep good when two other rowdy boys are jumping around all day! And he has only STTN a handful of times in his life! We're still co-sleeping quite a bit and I didn't co-sleep at all with my first 2.

So, I'm not saying there is a correlation between the BF my 3rd one longer/exclusively and his poor sleeping (even though DH is convinced there is... :eyeroll: ), and even if I could have been guaranteed him sleeping better on formula, I still would have chosen to BF.

So, all that to say, that I don't think I really had a difference in milk making abilities with each kid, only my management styles were different.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't had the problems that you did. However with each baby I seemed to have more milk. So glad that you have enough milk for your son!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote