Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Angry mother convicted of felony for cosleeping death

Has anyone else heard about this?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba..._sids_deat.php

Long story short:
In 2009 their 1 month old suffocated while cosleeping. No charges pressed. Family had another baby in 2011, which also suffocated while cosleeping at age 2 months. Last week the mom was convicted of felony child endangerment. "It may not be illegal to sleep with your child, but it is illegal to put your child in imminent danger," countered Summa, and the jury apparently agreed with Summa's definition of "imminent danger."

Oh and of course, the one thing CNN didn't mention: elevated levels of hydrocodone and Xanax were found in her blood, and several jars of (legally prescribed) pills were found on her nightstand.

Seems like she should be in trouble for using prescription medications, not for "cosleeping." It infuriates me that the press is calling this a cosleeping conviction.

Advertisement

Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
sarchamar
Registered Users
seller

Re: mother convicted of felony for cosleeping death

I'm with you. While I understand the basis for the charges and agree that this was probably culpable negligence (due to the drugs), the problem here wasn't cosleeping itself.

And for the 9863549347th time, if the baby was known to have suffocated, that is not SIDS!!!! Every death of a sleeping baby cannot and should not be lumped under the heading of SIDS. SIDS deaths are by nature unexplained. Grrrr.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How c an they say co-sleeping is dangerous??! It can be when drugs and alcohol are involved. But seriously where do people think babies have slept for thousands of years?? With their mothers!!! ANd yeah, that is NOT SIDS!!!

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow

Last edited by luvsgreen; 04-09-2012 at 07:03 PM.
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I'm not certain they did an autopsy on the first baby, that may have been called SIDS and then the second baby they called suffocation and thus found a pattern? I totally agree, it's not SIDS.
I was on a dr. Sears site a while ago and a mom posted about how her baby died as a result of cosleeping... it turned out she had an overdose of insulin and experienced massive seizure while they were alone in bed. Terrible, horrible, tragic, yes all those things. But she could have been driving, walking down stairs with the baby, or in any number of other situations when the overdose happened. The cosleeping was incidental.

Anyway, all the headlines I see regarding this case call it a conviction for cosleeping. No. It's a conviction for parenting under the influence.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh dear, I wonder if people will decide co-sleeping is illegal by the time my children become parents...?

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

This is very sad and all, but I don't like the implication that taking prescription drugs is neglectful. I am on narcotics for backpain, although I take them very very sparingly. I still breastfeed, and I still cosleep. There must be more to this story.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I think the headline is silly but I can agree with the charges (and I'm a big proponent of SAFE cosleeping). She was cosleeping while under the influence of drugs. Which IS dangerous and neglectful (if it's Rx depending on the drug of course) when you choose to take the drugs and cosleep at the same time.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post
I think the headline is silly but I can agree with the charges (and I'm a big proponent of SAFE cosleeping). She was cosleeping while under the influence of drugs. Which IS dangerous and neglectful (if it's Rx depending on the drug of course) when you choose to take the drugs and cosleep at the same time.
This.

And wouldn't you think...after your first died...that you would be ridiculously careful???
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda
This is very sad and all, but I don't like the implication that taking prescription drugs is neglectful. I am on narcotics for backpain, although I take them very very sparingly. I still breastfeed, and I still cosleep. There must be more to this story.
Taking prescription drugs is not neglectful. Choosing to cosleep with a newborn/small baby while under the influence of narcotics IS neglectful. Sorry, but it's true. Cosleeping is wonderful, and has many benefits... but taking painkillers negates every benefit, in my opinion. Especially when you're sleeping with a newborn.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
And back to the OP - I do agree with the charges, but do not agree with the article focusing on cosleeping. The focus should be on the prescription medicines found in the mother's system .