Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Re: mother convicted of felony for cosleeping death

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
This is very sad and all, but I don't like the implication that taking prescription drugs is neglectful. I am on narcotics for backpain, although I take them very very sparingly. I still breastfeed, and I still cosleep. There must be more to this story.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply all medications are dangerous. This mom had previous convictions involving drugs, so the suggestion here is she might not be the most responsible person. I'm sure that you look at your narcotics as something to take only when absolutely necessary, in the lowest dose possible, and that you make sure your spouse knows you've taken them. The fact that you take them very sparingly indicates you realize the potential for impairment. Sadly, not everyone who gets a prescription is as mature.

Advertisement

Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

First, using the "SIDS" term in this case ALSO drives me BANANAS!!!! Doing that really clouds the information and peoples understanding of risks of SIDS, risks of bed sharing and perpetuates a LOT of misinformation.

Second, I think calling it a "co sleeping death" is totally appropriate because if the baby had been in his own bed, he would still be alive. Scripts or not, that's an unfortunate fact. You can't roll over on a baby who isn't in the same bed as you.

Third, I have taken hydrocodone and I have taken xanex...taking them TOGETHER? Holy Smokes! Mom must have been high as a kite!!! Necessary or not, those things are sold illegally as well for a reason and regardless of need, I can't imagine she wasn't feeling really doped up. I am not in any way saying that she was taking them together on purpose or to get high or anything of the sort. The article says they were legally perscribed and she had lost her previous child less than two years prior, I don't doubt that she has reason to have the scripts. But man, combining the side effects of the two...I wonder why her husband wasn't paying closer attention? I mean, I imagine she really wasn't sober enough to make good decisions, he should have been on top of that. When DH and I would go out when we were younger and one of us was drinking, the other kept that drunk one from getting too stupid...her husband should have been playing that role. It said they were going to be bringing him up on charges too, I think his charges should be worse, really, since he should have been the sober one.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
Has anyone else heard about this?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba..._sids_deat.php

Long story short:
In 2009 their 1 month old suffocated while cosleeping. No charges pressed. Family had another baby in 2011, which also suffocated while cosleeping at age 2 months. Last week the mom was convicted of felony child endangerment. "It may not be illegal to sleep with your child, but it is illegal to put your child in imminent danger," countered Summa, and the jury apparently agreed with Summa's definition of "imminent danger."

Oh and of course, the one thing CNN didn't mention: elevated levels of hydrocodone and Xanax were found in her blood, and several jars of (legally prescribed) pills were found on her nightstand.

Seems like she should be in trouble for using prescription medications, not for "cosleeping." It infuriates me that the press is calling this a cosleeping conviction.
To the red. If they were legally prescribed she did nothing wrong in taking them.
If you want to get technical it could be Child endangerment by co-sleeping while under the influence of legal narcotics.

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 04-10-2012 at 08:59 AM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Hopefulily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Hey all. I don't know much about co sleeping but am intrigued. How do you safely bed share with a newborn or infant? Aren't there always risks of suffocating or rolling over on the baby?

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulily View Post
Hey all. I don't know much about co sleeping but am intrigued. How do you safely bed share with a newborn or infant? Aren't there always risks of suffocating or rolling over on the baby?

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
http://www.askdrsears.com/news/lates...eping-concerns
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
Taking prescription drugs is not neglectful. Choosing to cosleep with a newborn/small baby while under the influence of narcotics IS neglectful Sorry, but it's true. Cosleeping is wonderful, and has many benefits... but taking painkillers negates every benefit, in my opinion. Especially when you're sleeping with a newborn.
I agree. I loved cosleeping/bedsharing with my newborns, but DS and DD both slept a cradle next to our bed for the first few nights because they were both c-sections, I was taking painkillers, and I wasn't going to risk their lives.

What the heck was that woman thinking?!?!
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
This.

And wouldn't you think...after your first died...that you would be ridiculously careful???

Not all people react to death the same.
Samandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
First, using the "SIDS" term in this case ALSO drives me BANANAS!!!! Doing that really clouds the information and peoples understanding of risks of SIDS, risks of bed sharing and perpetuates a LOT of misinformation.

Second, I think calling it a "co sleeping death" is totally appropriate because if the baby had been in his own bed, he would still be alive. Scripts or not, that's an unfortunate fact. You can't roll over on a baby who isn't in the same bed as you.

Third, I have taken hydrocodone and I have taken xanex...taking them TOGETHER? Holy Smokes! Mom must have been high as a kite!!! Necessary or not, those things are sold illegally as well for a reason and regardless of need, I can't imagine she wasn't feeling really doped up. I am not in any way saying that she was taking them together on purpose or to get high or anything of the sort. The article says they were legally perscribed and she had lost her previous child less than two years prior, I don't doubt that she has reason to have the scripts. But man, combining the side effects of the two...I wonder why her husband wasn't paying closer attention? I mean, I imagine she really wasn't sober enough to make good decisions, he should have been on top of that. When DH and I would go out when we were younger and one of us was drinking, the other kept that drunk one from getting too stupid...her husband should have been playing that role. It said they were going to be bringing him up on charges too, I think his charges should be worse, really, since he should have been the sober one.
I agree with this.
Samandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
To the red. If they were legally prescribed she did nothing wrong in taking them.
If you want to get technical it could be Child endangerment by co-sleeping while under the influence of legal narcotics.
Yes I meant using prescription medications that could impair her judgement and/or be sedating while cosleeping
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She could have safely co-slept, by having baby in a co-sleeper or crip IN the room instead of in the bed which made it bed-sharing. This is a misleading description in the media. However, there is a right and wrong way to bed-share, and this is a good example of the wrong way.

The right way to bed-share is to not be using medications, illegal drugs, going to bed drunk, being a heavly sleeper, etc. Keep blankets, pillows and any other suffocation hazard away from the baby. Baby should sleep on mom's side to allow for easy access of breastfeeding and because moms normally are more aware of where the baby is (due to hormones passing through mom and baby). IF you take medications that can affect sleep, are a heavy sleeper and so on, but still want to co-sleep than you can safely do so by having the baby in a crib but sitll in your room.

I've been bed-sharing for almsot 5 years and counting, and I honestly wouldn't if I was taking narcotics (sp) or other drugs than could affect my sleep. I would then co-sleep instead of bed-share.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote