Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: mother convicted of felony for cosleeping death

If I lost a baby I think I'd be doped up on pain killer and xanax too! However, I wouldn't if I had another baby to tend too.

If your going to be sleeping next to your baby, then don't take ANYTHING that can affect your ability to care for your baby.

Advertisement

trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I lost a baby I think I'd be doped up on pain killer and xanax too! However, I wouldn't if I had another baby to tend too.

If your going to be sleeping next to your baby, then don't take ANYTHING that can affect your ability to care for your baby.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #23
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Using Rx drugs and causing injury/death is now being charged if the person is doing so against the warnings of the medication. An example is driving. I read an article a few months ago about people who have been sent to prison for killing/injuring people when under the influence of legally prescribed meds. People need to be responsible. I think this lady might have some kind of drug problem. It is her second death. Should she be able to keep killing babies with no repercussions?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I needed to take prescription drug for one reason or another I would not co-sleep. And why risk it the second time around?
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Am i wrong that the pediatric ***. Opposes cosleeping? I get lots of people do it safely and i feel to each his own but there are risks with cosleeping even not on meds right? So i guess i just dont understand how this isnt attributed to cosleeping. If the mother had put the baby is a cosleeper then the prescribed drugs wouldnt be a factor. Im not trying to start a debate on cosleeping because again i feel it's what ever a parent ia comfortable with but i absolutely see this as a cosleeping incident and should be treated as such.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Am i wrong that the pediatric ***. Opposes cosleeping? I get lots of people do it safely and i feel to each his own but there are risks with cosleeping even not on meds right? So i guess i just dont understand how this isnt attributed to cosleeping. If the mother had put the baby is a cosleeper then the prescribed drugs wouldnt be a factor. Im not trying to start a debate on cosleeping because again i feel it's what ever a parent ia comfortable with but i absolutely see this as a cosleeping incident and should be treated as such.
Cosleeping can actually be safer than crib sleeping. There are lower rates of SIDS among cosleeping babies than crib-sleeping babies. Therefore, should instances of SIDS where babies are in a crib be deemed crib-sleeping incidences, and treated as such?

And I don't believe the AAP opposes cosleeping. I know they don't endorse cosleeping, and have taken a stance against cosleeping on sofas, cosleeping if the mother is a smoker, and cosleeping with multiple family members. But I haven't found anything that says they blatantly oppose cosleeping.

Last edited by AnimalHouse; 04-10-2012 at 04:07 PM.
AnimalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #27
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse

Cosleeping can actually be safer than crib sleeping. There are lower rates of SIDS among cosleeping babies than crib-sleeping babies. Therefore, should instances of SIDS where babies are in a crib be deemed crib-sleeping incidences, and treated as such?

And I don't believe the AAP opposes cosleeping. I know they don't endorse cosleeping, and have taken a stance against cosleeping on sofas, cosleeping if the mother is a smoker, and cosleeping with multiple family members. But I haven't found anything that says they blatantly oppose cosleeping.
Ok im on my phone so the link i just read said it 'opposes" article from 2011. I will try to get the link. I have never coslept in bed but not because i find it dangerous but because i find it disruptive and none of my four children have ever found it restful. So i am not a huge researcher on the subject. I do know my hospital, ob, amd peditrian are all against bedsharing. I do have a cosleeper next to the bed for all our nbs. I just feel while this is an example of bad cosleeping it is still an incident of a cosleeping death. Edited yo add this link. It also says that cosleeping does not reduce the risk of sids.

Edited again. I read it wrong it says breadtfeeding doesnt lower the risk of sids.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...say/46643832/1

Last edited by ulawolf; 04-10-2012 at 04:47 PM.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #28
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Ok im on my phone so the link i just read said it 'opposes" article from 2011. I will try to get the link. I have never coslept in bed but not because i find it dangerous but because i find it disruptive and none of my four children have ever found it restful. So i am not a huge researcher on the subject. I do know my hospital, ob, amd peditrian are all against bedsharing. I do have a cosleeper next to the bed for all our nbs. I just feel while this is an example of bad cosleeping it is still an incident of a cosleeping death. Edited yo add this link. It also says that cosleeping does not reduce the risk of sids.

Edited again. I read it wrong it says breadtfeeding doesnt lower the risk of sids.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...say/46643832/1
I've checked the AAP's website, and haven't found anything that says they directly oppose co-sleeping. I've found articles that say they don't recommend it, but that's it. From the AAP's publication on SIDS and infant sleep:

Quote:
5.Bed sharing or cosleeping may be hazardous under certain conditions.54,113–115

•  As an alternative to bed sharing, parents might consider placing the infant's crib near their bed to allow for more convenient breastfeeding and parent contact.

•  If a mother chooses to have her infant sleep in her bed to breastfeed, care should be taken to observe the aforementioned recommendations (nonprone sleep position, avoidance of soft surfaces or loose covers, and avoidance of entrapment by moving the bed away from the wall and other furniture and avoiding beds that present entrapment possibilities).

•  Adults (other than the parents), children, or other siblings should avoid bed sharing with an infant.*

•  Parents who choose to bed share with their infant* should not smoke or use substances, such as alcohol or drugs, that may impair arousal.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...105/3/650.full

I think that's from 2000, though. I don't know if they have anything more recent, as I don't really care what the AAP recommends/opposes for the most part . For the record, I don't co-sleep... I did with DS3 for a few months, but I just can't sleep comfortably with babies/kids.

Last edited by AnimalHouse; 04-11-2012 at 07:04 AM.
AnimalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #29
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
This is very sad and all, but I don't like the implication that taking prescription drugs is neglectful. I am on narcotics for backpain, although I take them very very sparingly. I still breastfeed, and I still cosleep. There must be more to this story.
I agree with this poster.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #30
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

[QUOTE=trying4more;14928303]If I lost a baby I think I'd be doped up on pain killer and xanax too! However, I wouldn't if I had another baby to tend too.

QUOTE]
Wow how very judgemental of you. You do not know a darn thing about this woman what her illness where. How dare you assume she is getting high by choice to get over her pain. That is nasty shame on you.