Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: mother convicted of felony for cosleeping death

When I had my two csections, I had my babies in bassinets right next to my bed. There is no way I would have felt safe having them in my bed until I was done with the narcotics; they just made me sleep too soundly. I still wanted them close, but not in bed with me.

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #42
psylion
Registered Users
seller

After I had my DD I was on Percocet for gallbladder pain and because I had a c-section. I planned to have her sleep in the co-sleeper because I had read you shouldn't co-sleep on meds. DD would not sleep any other way than on my chest no matter what I tried. I was TIRED. I caved. She slept on my chest the first six months and was perfectly fine. Now if I had lost a baby to suffocation I may have chosen differently. However, in retrospect I think I still made the best choice for my family.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #43
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
But instances of death or injury where the cause is KNOWN, like being caught between the mattress and the bed structures, etc, are higher in babies sleeping in adult beds vs cribs. More babies have died in adult beds, due to known reasons (meaning, not SIDS) than died in drop side cribs.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml99/99175.html

That's one source, I have seen others but am not going to go dig them out right now. I realize it's an older study, but, IMO, still relevant because adult beds are still not designed with babies in mind.
I'm confused by the bolded. SIDS by definition is the unexplained death of an infant. Meaning they can find no reason why the baby died. As I said in the other thread about this, I have been told that a good ME can tell when a baby has died from suffocation by careful examination of the lungs. I don't trust any of those statistics anyway. There is a major problem with consistency when it comes to "unexplained" deaths in America. Some are called SIDS when they shouldn't be, and some are called "unknown" when they shouldn't be.

Also there are many spaces on a death certificate for information on how or why someone died. It can be determined to be Accident - Suffocation - due to or as a consequence of bed-sharing, or Natural causes - SIDS.

You never know how someone will react after going through something like this. I will tell you from my experience on SIDS forums (though I do not believe my DD died from "SIDS") that most people who had their babies in bed with them, that is their only comfort, knowing that their babies didn't die alone but right next to mama.
Samandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #44
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
The baby should be on the outside next to mom. Many will use a bed rail that is breathable so not a suffocation hazard and one that baby cannot get trapped into. If the baby is still really young then many moms keep baby in their arms on the outside. I've been bed-sharing for almost 5 years (ds1 weaned at 3, and ds2 who is 2 years old still sleeps in bed) and my kids have never rolled off the bed or even come close to it. While there probably are instances of that, most bed-sharers that I know and myself say that the baby learns the boundries of the bed because they've been sleeping in it since day 1.
We've been cosleeping since our babe's birth, and for the first few weeks babe was always between me and the cosleeper. BUT... now he nurses for hours on end, and I have to switch breasts at least once, usually twice. Unless I put my feet at the head of the bed there is no way to keep him from being between hubby and me when I have to switch breasts. I always tell him the baby is there, and in order for him to nurse I'm laying with my arm and legs bent up, so hubby can't roll onto babe without hitting my knees or elbows. I really want to cosleep safely, but I just don't see any other way to sleep with a night-nurser.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #45
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When baby is small, I have a co-sleeper next to my side of the bed. Baby sleeps in the co-sleeper, or on that side of me, until I am comfortable with him being aware and old enough to sleep in the middle. I did nurse on either side, and I would just make sure to move baby back to the outside when done with the breast next to daddy. But I did the typical co-sleeping/nursing curl around DS, so even if DH had rolled over, he would not have been able to roll onto the baby. And I fell asleep like this a few times and was never worried it was a risk. I think it is more the placing of baby between parents, outside of mama's arms that is what needs to be avoided. Of course, feel free to make your arguments as to why that would be unsafe as well. I think this may be one of those gray areas, where arguments both ways could be made.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #46
ALNaturMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylion View Post
After I had my DD I was on Percocet for gallbladder pain and because I had a c-section. I planned to have her sleep in the co-sleeper because I had read you shouldn't co-sleep on meds. DD would not sleep any other way than on my chest no matter what I tried. I was TIRED. I caved. She slept on my chest the first six months and was perfectly fine. Now if I had lost a baby to suffocation I may have chosen differently. However, in retrospect I think I still made the best choice for my family.
I slept in a recliner with my 7lb baby while on pain pills after gallbladder surgery. Yes, I know NOW how incredibly stupid that was, but I had only ever been told not to sleep in a bd with a baby because you'll roll over and smother him. There was no risk of rolling over in the chair. That's why the blanket recommendation against bedsharing drives me nuts! That results in a lack of education that leads parents toward doing the things that are likely to result in the death of their babies, when safe cosleeping is proven to be fine.
ALNaturMom is offline   Reply With Quote