Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee
I just buy it from a nearby farm, they're really clean. I think they have like 3 cows. Fresh milk is easier on my lactose intolerant boy's tummy- he can drink it with no problems.
this makes good sense from what I understand pasteurization denatures milk protiens (they are very fragile) making it where the body doesn't recognise it as a food and therefore causing allergic reactions (everything from diarrhea to runny nose/allergy type snots to excema sp?)

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When does fresh milk expire?

Interesting. So DS is lactose intolerant, but do you think that's just a reaction to the pasteurized milk? Would he maybe be ok with fresh? Fresh milk isn't got to be an option for us, unless we get a cow. It's illegal to buy/sell it here, and I don't know of anyone I could get it from.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethannp View Post
Interesting. So DS is lactose intolerant, but do you think that's just a reaction to the pasteurized milk? Would he maybe be ok with fresh? Fresh milk isn't got to be an option for us, unless we get a cow. It's illegal to buy/sell it here, and I don't know of anyone I could get it from.
When milk is pasturized it takes out the lactase which is what makes lactose digestabl. See if you have a dairy farm in your area that you can buy a share of a caw. Technically if you own it you can drink milk from it.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethannp View Post
Here it's illegal to buy/sell "raw milk", but you can be part of a herd share. You pay for a portion of the cow so you own it. Then you pay a boarding fee every month for it.

It's also legal to sell/buy if you buy it as pet milk. It has to be labeled "pet food only. not for human consumption".
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I might be able to find a dairy farm with in a couple hours drive, if I knew where to look. I know there are none very close, all the cows around here are for beef. We do have 5 acres though, and I want to get a cow in the next year or so. Dh is not for it though, I've been buying non-homogenized organic milk at the store and he hates the way it separates in the fridge
Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Lots of times there are co-ops that share the travel and rotate a milk pick-up once a week.

If you get a cow, you may want other people to buy a share in the milk because I hear that one cow will make more milk then one family could ever use.... at least thats what my mom tells me.

Last edited by gingerpeachee; 04-10-2012 at 07:22 PM.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee View Post
Lots of times there are co-ops that share the travel and rotate a milk pick-up once a week.

If you get a cow, you may want other people to buy a share in the milk because I hear that one cow will make more milk then one family could ever use.... at least thats what my mom tells me.
We get 3 gallons a day from our Jersey (and we don't push her super hard either)!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
We get 3 gallons a day from our Jersey (and we don't push her super hard either)!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where should I look to see if I can get in on a milk share or something like that in my area?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks guys, now I want a cow