View Poll Results: were you told you could not have kids and why?
no, i havn't been told that 13 40.63%
yes, I have PCOS and was told that but i have kids 5 15.63%
yes, i have other reproductive issues and have kids 4 12.50%
yes, I have a messed up uterus but have children 2 6.25%
No, I am unable to carry my own child 0 0%
other 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: were you told you couldn't have kids and have since carried a child to viability?

Not me. My mom was told she would never have children due to her tilted uterus. She has two daughters.

I have never been told I wouldn't have children, but I've been told my whole life that I won't ovulate without drugs because of my size (extremely thin). In fact, doctors have always been amazed that AF visits monthly. In 6 months of charting, I never saw an anovulatory cycle and conceived my first cycle TTC.

Advertisement

Cautiously expecting #4 10/6/16
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: were you told you couldn't have kids and have since carried a child to viability?

I put other.

Yes I was told I could not have kids by 2 different Doctors. First time when I was 18 and second time when I was 20. I had a stomach infection and the medicine supposidly (sp) made me infertile. The second Doctor told me that if I were to get pregnant that I would have a miscarriage. I got pregnant with my first at 22 and did infact miscarriage at around 4-6 weeks. Then I got pregnant 5 months later with my now almost 5 year old. I also have a 2 year old and TTCing later this year. I have NO signs of infertility and have never used infertility medications or treatments.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I put other as well because my situation is different, my issues aren't in my uterus but I was told that due to my Celiac's disease that it was quite possible I would end up miscarrying. DH was also told due to a quading accident he had when he was younger not to expect to be able to convceive and well we have 2 littles and one on the way despite what we were told.

As for your sister's situation it would depend on what exactly they mean. I have a former doula client who has a misshapen uterus, basically she has about half of a useable uterus and they have had one baby and are expecting their second. Both conceived through IVF but she was and is at high risk of premature labour because of her uterus. Her first came at 32 weeks and this time she's just past 32 weeks and baby is staying put, they are hoping she will make it to 37 weeks.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

I have a unicornuate uterus ( 1/2 uterus) one ovary and one kidney all on the right side. My first pregnancy was unplanned and I didn't even know about these things until my c-section. They told me the chances of having another child were slim and that I had a high chance of M/C.

I had a loss during my college years, then I went on to have another child 8 years later. Got pregnant again and had a loss. Had a clogged ovary but after my HSG went on to have another child, and am currently pregnant with my 4th.

I would really say to have her get another opinion. 2 of my 3 babies made it to term in my tiny uterus. I had two 5lbs babies the my last baby was 7lbs! I was told I couldn't have a baby that big! I think dr's are wrong all of the time! I hope she finds the help she needs and is able to have a sweet baby of her own.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
bluemoonbutterfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have not ever been told I could not have children but know someone that was. I am not sure what problems she had only that she was told she would never be able to have children. Her and her husband where married for 15 years before she conceived.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #16
crazymom
Registered Users
seller

I have severely tilted cervix and was told that I'd have problems conceiving without help. My son ( exhusband) was unplanned and was a matter of me taking my bcp late ONE day. (the doc kept me on pills to regulated my heavy periods). Fast forward 10 years Dh and I were talking about having one. I had told him my situation and he was willing to do whatever it took. My Ob said it couldn't hurt to go off bc (still in it for the periods). I was off a month before conceiving dd. with the snowbaby ( due in may), I hadn't been on bc since nov of 2010. I was diagnosed with graves disease in early 2011 and my endocrinologist told me that not only were the chances of me conceiving again very slim (90% against us) that he didn't want me to get preg until they stabilized the graves... So late may of 2011, I received the depo shot. I found out I was prego in oct ( conceived in aug). I have carried all full term Nd all have been healthy. I obviously have to have c sections though.

I believe in prayer and if it's meant To be, it will happen.

Di..... mom to my teen, my princess, and a new addition may 2012. I can spell but my iPhone can't!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

I was told by an OB in college I have a tilted uterus and would have a hard time getting pregnant. Yeah, um, I got pregnant the first time I stopped taking BC. Lol. I'd get a second opinion. No other OB has ever mentioned my uterus being tilted, and it obviously didn't interfere with conception.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mother has a severely tilted uterus and was also always very thin. She was told she would never have children because of her uterus. She never used any protection and after 5 years of marriage she suddenly became fertile and got pregnant with me. She went on to have a total of 5 children, all carried to term and all vaginal births. Anything is possible.
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was told at 15 I'd have difficulties, at 18 they said I might concieve with meds but probably wouldn't carry to term. As soona s DH and I said 'I do' I was pregnant and I have never had a miscarriage. In fact my 1st child had to be induced at 42 weeks, she was 9.5 lbs and 23 inches long. She couldn't shake that kid out, or the others. I have 4 daughters and had 4 really long inductions because I just couldn't get them out
Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh I have endometriosis and have had MANY ovarian cysts (I'd rather be in labor than to have those rupture, UGH! Last one ruptured a month ago, once I started having kids I was constantly or :breastfeeding: with onely one perios in between, I had forgotten about my 'issues' until I was on my way to the ER after DH scraped my off of the floor)