Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:
Breech baby...please encourage!

I'm 36ish weeks and by boy is still breech. I haven't asked during ultrasounds what kind of breech but based on movements I feel and the descriptions I'm thinking he's probably "footling" breech. NOT the kind you can give safe vaginal birth to.

I've been doing the "bum up" exercise frequently and it's not done anything. I have an appt with my chiro this am to try some things. He's not experienced with the webster breech method but there is one I can see that's about an hour away that IS certified in the webster method. ANYWAY...I'm scheduled to do a version with my OB on thurs. I'm SUPER nervous about this. My tummy is super sensitive and the idea of the dr. pushing him around is nerve wracking! AND there's not a 100% chance that it'll be successful OR that he'll stay head down.

So, if any of you wonderful ladies has any experience with this please offer up some encouragement!

Advertisement

~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breech baby...please encourage!

My #2 was breech until the weekend before she was born!! There are a few positions you can get in to encourage them to move...good luck!!
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first set of twins, baby B was breech. To make a long story short, I found out after it was too late to change OB's that mine wasn't willing to deliver that way. (Some OB's are willing to deliver vaginally as long as A is head down and they are not worried about baby B. I thought mine was like that. ) He was going to require me to have a c-sec, which I felt was unnecessary. Although, I know they are in some cases depending on the exact presentation. Anyway, with 2 babies in there, my baby B managed to turn while I was in labor! My labor broke and I headed to the hospital knowing they would do a c-sec because he had still been breech that morning. When we arrived, I immediately asked for an u/s BEFORE starting any prep for a C. I could already feel him moving a lot, but he did that anyway. On the u/s, he was clearly turning. He wasn't totally head down at that point, but he was clearly on his way and was transverse with his head angled down. He had ALWAYS been breech before. The nurse went to get an u/s tech to confirm it. (Nurse was the first to do the u/s.) She was gone for maybe 5 minutes. During that time, he was moving like nothing I had ever felt before. You could see it from across the room though my belly. It was so crazy looking we were laughing. When the tech got there, sure enough, he was totally head down and couldn't have been in a better position if we had reached in and placed him there. Despite my OB's clear desire to give me a C, I got my vaginal delivery. I am so grateful. (BTW - I changed OB's for the next set of twins. ) A friend of mine with twins just had her baby B turn at 38wks! Her babies were both over 7lbs when they were born. Mine were only 35wks and were a good bit smaller. Crazy that they can turn with 2 babies in there and being so big!

My point is, don't give up hope. You never know when baby can turn. They might surprise you.

Here is a site that can give you some ideas of how to encourage the baby to turn. If you go to the techniques page, it will show you some positioning to help baby to turn, but the whole site is good.

http://www.spinningbabies.com/

Good luck!!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 04-10-2012 at 01:35 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I've never had problems with a breech baby before my last pregnancy. Baby was breech the entire time until about 24 weeks. I know that at 24 weeks you shouldn't be concerned with breech but I was having a homebirth and was stressed about baby being poorly positioned and leading to a transfer. My friend is a master hypnotist and gave me a tape for the pregnancy. I listened to it ONCE and felt baby flip during the session. She stayed that way until 32 weeks. At my MW appt she did a version and baby stayed head down until delivery.

Hypnobabies has a tape you can buy for breech babies for $15 or so. I would DEFINITELY give it a try. Hypnosis has proven more successful at getting babies to turn and stay turned then versions. I also think if you go to any chiro, as long as they give you a good adjustment(s) and get you in alignment then you don't NEED someone who is Webster trained.

GL Mama!
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

spinning babies website

homeopathy

chiropractic

not leaning back in chairs with feet propped, sitting forward instead
Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
seacat
Registered Users
seller

I have not had a breech baby, but all of mine like to be OP or transverse. Spinning babies works well as pp mentioned and accupuncture.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

YES to all the above comments! Do you have a reason to expect baby to be born early? Because if not, it just seems really early to me to try to manually turn him. Not that I'm a doc or anything. I would always, always request confirmation of breech immediately before getting sectioned.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Cherise1502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm right there with you only 37 weeks 3 days and he's still feet straight down. I'm doing everything I can and desperately trying to find a chiro that is trained in the Webster technique to help!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyscreation View Post
I'm 36ish weeks and by boy is still breech. I haven't asked during ultrasounds what kind of breech but based on movements I feel and the descriptions I'm thinking he's probably "footling" breech. NOT the kind you can give safe vaginal birth to.

I've been doing the "bum up" exercise frequently and it's not done anything. I have an appt with my chiro this am to try some things. He's not experienced with the webster breech method but there is one I can see that's about an hour away that IS certified in the webster method. ANYWAY...I'm scheduled to do a version with my OB on thurs. I'm SUPER nervous about this. My tummy is super sensitive and the idea of the dr. pushing him around is nerve wracking! AND there's not a 100% chance that it'll be successful OR that he'll stay head down.

So, if any of you wonderful ladies has any experience with this please offer up some encouragement!
Not sure if my LO is still breech as it's definitely posterior and all we feel are limbs! But LO was breech at our 34 weeks appt, now at 38 weeks.

I have my regular chiro that I love but she's not certified. Had one appt with a cert chiro and HATED it, will never go back! SO I talked with my regular chiro about it because it's really basic. She did such a better job at the technique than the 'certified' guy did. Your chiro may not know what the adjustments are? It's the pelvis adjustment, which most chiros already do and then rubbing the ligaments that are tight... which my chiro already does that sort of thing but not typically to the ligaments during pregnancy... Hope that makes sense!

I did the inversion table which was interesting. Tried breech tilt and that sucks (when laying on back inclined, upsidedown). Moxibustion really got LO to move around and I think that's what help LO turn (if it has turned). What it does is get baby to move around and gravity turns it head down. You'll need to know where the placenta is as sometimes there's a good reason why LO is breech.

As for footling breech, my mw has delivered several (one recently) footlings safely but I wouldn't want to attempt it with an inexperienced mw.

As for the manual turning, I would wait until later and only if necessary which for me would mean my mw will not deliver breech. Since mine will deliver breech I will not be attempting manual turning. The problem with manual turning is that it can cause you to go into labor, which you don't want to be doing so early and your LO could still turn naturally. The other issue is that it can distress the baby but not put you in labor and they'd want to c/s. So you need to know what your options are, will they let you deliver breech vaginally, and the risks.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
My son was breech, we found out at 36 weeks. My midwife had me do all of the natural things mentioned above and nothing got him to turn. So I had the external version done at 38 weeks, 4 days. It's not that bad. It was uncomfortable and the dr's fingers hurt a little because she really dug in to turn him. But it was nothing compared to labor! And I was petrified of a csection, so I was willing to try anything. I would ask about waiting until you are 38 weeks, because there is the possibility of inducement. I also have a friend who had the version done twice. She has a similar experience to me. I would actually spend more time prepping your DH, because it honestly looks worse than it feels! Lol.

Posted from my iPhone/iPad, probably while breast feeding. Mistakes likey

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote