Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixels

There are only two seats currently that RF past 40 pounds, and one on the way. None are cheap.
Actually, I can think of six seats just offhand that RF to 40lbs, and at least one under $90 (Scenera 40RF). Past 40, yes, but the Kiddy only goes to 40 anyhow, so there's no comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl

Not everyone RFs to the max of their seats and as pp pointed out there are very few seats that RF past 40lbs. This is a niche seat. Just because you wouldn't use it doesn't mean it isn't perfect for someone else. Kids also aren't "squished flat" anymore so than in a harness.
How can it be "perfect" for anyone if it is not as safe as a RF option in the same weight class? Research shows ERF is SAFEST over and over again. Until they can prove this is as safe or safer, I stand by my statement that I don't understand why anyone would waste money on this in lieu of an ERF seat.

Regarding the harness vs padded shield - I can't say without sitting in it myself, but I don't think it's outrageous to suppose that there's a very different feeling having a harness across your chest vs having a small airplane seat strapped to your chest.

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Kiddy World Plus Car Seat

i'm with leiiki. i don't think there are any conditions where i would turn my 20lb kiddo forward facing. i don't really get it either. but i haven't read the discussions on car-seat.org and i don't know what the crash tests look like. doesn't look too comfy to me, but i don't think harnesses look particularly comfortable either. i dunno.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

I wouldn't see a use for it with my kids. But I could see it for a 35-pound 6 year old. Technically such a kid could probably still RF, but not everyone ekes every last pound out of a RFing seat.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
Pixels
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
Actually, I can think of six seats just offhand that RF to 40lbs, and at least one under $90 (Scenera 40RF). Past 40, yes, but the Kiddy only goes to 40 anyhow, so there's no comparison.

How can it be "perfect" for anyone if it is not as safe as a RF option in the same weight class? Research shows ERF is SAFEST over and over again. Until they can prove this is as safe or safer, I stand by my statement that I don't understand why anyone would waste money on this in lieu of an ERF seat.

Regarding the harness vs padded shield - I can't say without sitting in it myself, but I don't think it's outrageous to suppose that there's a very different feeling having a harness across your chest vs having a small airplane seat strapped to your chest.
To 40, yes, but originally you did say past 40. And weight isn't the only limit on a seat, most are outgrown by height long before weight. My daughter is well under the weight limit but also over the height limit for a Scenera.

My daughter will be four years old next month. She weighs 33.4 pounds, clothed without shoes. She is still rear facing, but many people are just "done" rear facing long before age four, and I can't blame them. And there are many kids who are lightweights, and 30-35 pounds at 5-6 years old. Five percent of boys don't reach 40 pounds until age seven. Those parents may well want to forward face their child. For them, this seat may be perfect. I really can't see a rear facing seven year old.

Even NHTSA says that kids should be forward facing when they turn four years old. At four years old, more than 75% of the population is under 40 pounds. And, like I already pointed out, many kids will outgrow ERF seats by height before 40 pounds anyway.

So yeah, this is not the seat for me/my kids, but I can see how some parents would really like it, even if they do ERF.
Pixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

To 40, yes, but originally you did say past 40. And weight isn't the only limit on a seat, most are outgrown by height long before weight. My daughter is well under the weight limit but also over the height limit for a Scenera.

My daughter will be four years old next month. She weighs 33.4 pounds, clothed without shoes. She is still rear facing, but many people are just "done" rear facing long before age four, and I can't blame them. And there are many kids who are lightweights, and 30-35 pounds at 5-6 years old. Five percent of boys don't reach 40 pounds until age seven. Those parents may well want to forward face their child. For them, this seat may be perfect. I really can't see a rear facing seven year old.

Even NHTSA says that kids should be forward facing when they turn four years old. At four years old, more than 75% of the population is under 40 pounds. And, like I already pointed out, many kids will outgrow ERF seats by height before 40 pounds anyway.

So yeah, this is not the seat for me/my kids, but I can see how some parents would really like it, even if they do ERF.
Thank you for replying so I didn't have to type all that out in the app lol but exactly what pixels said. Being realistic, which is how a tech class is taught, people can and will FF before the max of some seats. Safest? Yes. Reality? Not do much unless your looking at a community like DS or CSO. You can't completely discredit a seat based on weight limit alone. As I said its a niche seat.

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 04-11-2012 at 01:47 PM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #16
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it is cool. My DD is 5, and still nowhere near 40 pounds. If I had the money (and didn't already have a Frontier) I'd get it. She was only 33 pounds on her 4th birthday, and 36 now.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

I apologize, I did say past. The point is still true, though - there are many RF seats that last to (or beyond) the weight range of this FF seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl

Thank you for replying so I didn't have to type all that out in the app lol but exactly what pixels said. Being realistic, which is how a tech class is taught, people can and will FF before the max of some seats. Safest? Yes. Reality? Not do much unless your looking at a community like DS or CSO. You can't completely discredit a seat based on weight limit alone. As I said its a niche seat.
While I get what you're saying, don't you think that the people who are unlikely to ERF are also unlikely to look for a seat like this? As you noted, only communities like DS seem to care whether you use a highly-rated carseat, and "everyday folk" would be unlikely to buy such an expensive seat with such a small weight range.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most people I know only use a FF seat til 30-35 pounds. The cheapy NBB says 30 pounds on the package...
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
allhiskids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

4 years 8 months and he weighs 30 pounds and is rf in a boulevard. That seat looks like "I " would be claustrophobic in it. I can see that it could be ideal for some people. Just not us at this time.

Kathy Mama to Isaac 7-25 , Grace , Charlie , Heather

Last edited by allhiskids; 04-11-2012 at 04:12 PM.
allhiskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki

While I get what you're saying, don't you think that the people who are unlikely to ERF are also unlikely to look for a seat like this? As you noted, only communities like DS seem to care whether you use a highly-rated carseat, and "everyday folk" would be unlikely to buy such an expensive seat with such a small weight range.
You'd be amazed. With Internet shopping and "bargain" stores that sell returned seats at a discounted rate we are seeing lots of different seats in the wild. People buy expensive seats everyday thinking that it means they are safer and they don't always follow the weight limits.