Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
S/o Kids and church

DO you force your kids to attend and to sit quietly in church.

Someone in another thread posted they they expect their kids to sit through church under the threat of of dire punishments. This seems somehow counter to teaching them to love church.

Most churches I have been to have an alternative (children's activities) to sitting through the whole service for kids. Is this not common?

Advertisement

Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/o Kids and church

I teach my children with clear expectations and positive reinforcement how to sit still in church. They have all attended since infancy and we do not have a problem with being quiet during the service. The 4 and 8 year old go to Children's liturgy for about z20-25 minutes during the readings and homily but then during the Eucharist they come back to the main Church. My 16 year old stays with us the whole time.

ETA: Just the other day they all sat through over 3 hours of Easter Vigil and did just fine with the exception of me saying "shhhh!" as a reminder to the older 2 on a couple of occasions.

Last edited by eguisgirl; 04-11-2012 at 09:03 AM.
eguisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
addicteddad
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
DO you force your kids to attend and to sit quietly in church.

Someone in another thread posted they they expect their kids to sit through church under the threat of of dire punishments. This seems somehow counter to teaching them to love church.

Most churches I have been to have an alternative (children's activities) to sitting through the whole service for kids. Is this not common?
To the bolded, no I don't.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The boys attend church with me. I expect them to be as quiet as they can for thier age. I do not expect a 5 year old and a 3 year old to sit perfectly still and be completely quiet for an hour. They each have a small coloring book/colors to help them.

I do not use threats of punishment to make them sit still. Heck-- I have trouble sometimes sitting still and paying attention the entire time. Our minister is okay but gears his sermons more towards the older generations.

During normal church services we have singing time and then the boys go to "childrens church".

But during special services like Easter they had to sit during the whole thing. They did very well. We had to be there early so I packed them each a cup of milk and a small container of dry cereal and dried fruit. Plus they had their coloring stuff. I was pretty impressed with how quiet they were. They had thier moments but nothing horrible.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicteddad View Post
To the bolded, no I don't.
me either...
Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Heathen here but dh has taken the older two to church a few times and hasn't had a huge issue but he has left early a few times one church he left in the middle of and they were 2 hours in to the service. Yes it was rude to leave but it wasn't a fit either.

Dh doesn't take dd or ds3 because we don't expect them to sit still they are children. this is why we only do drive ins for movies as well too because they can bounce around the car all they want while we watch a movie. and it's cheaper 10 a car load!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

PS my kids are in my church all the time and not expected to be still but then again my church is nature
Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If they come with me into the adult service they are expected to sit quietly. They have the option of attending the "children's church" service where they sing, dance, and play games. Sometimes they like to sit with me though, and they are quiet. They would be punished if they were disruptive.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

OT but Charise I am SO jealous that you have a drive in!
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Our 5yo and 2.5yo sit through the first 15-20 minutes of singing and announcements before going to Sunday School. We bring snacks and small coloring books to help them stay quiet. They're mostly very good and I think it's a great chance to practice being quiet and still for short periods of time.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote