Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: S/o Kids and church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
OT but Charise I am SO jealous that you have a drive in!
haha thanks it's a drive but wroth it we haven't gone much because it means late nights and no one getting to bed at 2 am or 3 am LOL. in upstate NY we had two and I love them. There is a great website to see if there is a drive in in your area

http://www.drive-ins.com/theaters/tx/status_op=open

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nope. We keep our kids with us for the whole worship service. They each have coloring books and crayons. Ds2 has a few quiet toys and plays with those. And our service only lasts about an hour and a half including music. They are content to dance and wiggle during worship and then sit semi quietly during the sermon.

Sent from my free iPod touch that I cannot figure out
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
tcat160
Registered Users

Same as a few PP, my kiddos stay with me though the beginning singing and prayers and then off to children's church. Our church also has a nursery with a two way mirror and speaker system, so when LDS starts fussing I can take him in there and tend to him without disturbing others, but still be able to enjoy the sermon. This was the main reason I was drawn to this church initially.
Mommy to my sweet rose and my hunky monkey and my lucky little man Wife to my #1 guy
tcat160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our church is very very small, so they have to be with us the entire time. I've been allowing my oldest to sit with her friend and my youngest usually just likes to stay by me. The children are asked to come up in the beginning and they get a little lesson and activity, so my youngest likes to do that. I will not allow them to run around and be disruptive, but I don't expect them to be 100% perfect.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Yes. Ds goes to children's church. But there are times when there is no children's church due to a special service. I expect him to sit quietly and he does not get toys or crayons to entertain himself. I don't take him to church to color in the pew. He does very well. He enjoys church. He gets really disapointed if we have to miss church.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope.

My church has Sunday School for the kiddos. Then they come sit in the main service for the announcements and song service. Once the singing is done, they go to Children's Church.

My firend's church only has Children's church for up to 4yrs old. 5 yrs and up sit in the church with the parents. They call it "family style." Or something like that.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We don't have an infant cry room or Children's church. Our children are well behaved in church. We took them to Easter Vigil mass on Sat. night, they were all amazing! We don't threaten, they just know our expectations of behavior.

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #18
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I don't require my kids to sit through service. They go to the kids class and play.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

In the New Year we started attending a small church. The service begins with what the pastor calls "Children's Time" and all the children come and sit in the first pew or two. He addresses the entire congregation, but comes down to their level and tries to make it more about them. Following a hymn or two and the children's time, they go upstairs to Sunday school. I do expect them to sit quietly and respectfully during their time with the congregation, and it hasn't been an issue. My DS6 would rather sit with me than go to the front, which is fine with me, but I do encourage him to join the group when he feels ready.

I would not punish my children for being disruptive in church, necessarily. I think if they were being disruptive (more than just a minor thing), I would remove them until they could be calm. IMO it's ok for kids to learn that there are times and places where running and climbing and shouting are not appropriate, depending on the family and practices.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I attend a Lutheran church. Sunday school happens at the same time for children and adults in different classrooms. Children's church happens during the actual service in the sanctuary.

There is a nursery for children 3 and under. Most people (myself included) keep their nursery aged children with them as long as the tot is willing/able to sit politely in the sanctuary. This varies from child to child, but we get the most littles in the nursery during sermon time. At that age, I think that it is just about as long as they can keep settled well without constant parental attention. Sleeping newbies don't count.

For ages 3-7, there is a children's sermon about 15-20 minutes into the service after which there is children's church in the education wing. Children's church goes from sermon hymn to communion time-about 20-25 minutes-and gives kids an opportunity to have a lesson involving song, Bible story, and craft that directly reflects what the children's sermon and the adults are learning about in church that day. It's the same basic lesson on a more developmentally appropriate level.

There's a grace period from about 8-12 where kids are expected to just participate like the adults.

Once they hit middle school, they have a special sheet to fill out concerning the reading and sermon content.

I could keep my children with me and make them sit and behave through an entire church service. However, my focus would be on them instead of my spiritual growth. Seeing as how I never attend an adult Sunday school class (I teach the K Sunday school class), tend nursery once a month, and participate in special music, the church service is my ONE opportunity to experience spiritual instruction as an adult. It's been this way for me for 6 years now and it is very important to me to be able to sit with my husband and just listen.

My oldest is approaching 10 and transitioned from nursery, to children's church, to "big" church service participant without a struggle. He follows along and listens without needing instruction or shushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicteddad View Post
To the bolded, no I don't.
I don't think that those who don't ever attend really count. :P

Last edited by mcpforever; 04-11-2012 at 10:44 AM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote