Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Allendale or Florida Unschoolers Umbrella Program????

Can anyone tell me their experience with either or both of these school programs? Both have been mentioned here on diaperswapper's forum board and I am having a hard time choosing which type of program I am looking for.

The Allendale program seems very organized with them pretty much keeping track of your student with official report cards/grades/transcripts and also issues diplomas. This should make it very easy to transfer into another school later on if need be or college. The only downfall is that you still have to submit testing or an evalution every year, which I am not sure if this is a good thing or bad. Any thoughts?

The Florida Unschoolers program is just a way to get around reporting to the state which I definately want to avoid doing since I have no faith in the public school system and don't feel they are qualified to tell me what my child should be learning anyways. The one thing I am concerned with is that it might be harder to prove that you have taught your child properly and the schools/college might be hesitant to grant those grades.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!! This will be my first offical year homeschooling and I am so excited but nervous at the same time. I am sure you vetran homeschoolers are giggling at my silliness, but we all have to start somewhere, right?

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Re: Allendale or Florida Unschoolers Umbrella Program????

??
Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Hitchkids
Registered Users

I don't have any experience with either of them but depending on the county you are in, Florida's rules are not restrictive at all. They never say what your child has to learn or when. When I lived there, I simply sought out a like minded certified teacher who evaluated my kids' progress every year and sent in a letter stating that they were making adequate progress for their personal levels and development. It took me about 15 minutes a year. I honestly would not have wanted to deal with an umbrella school and extra paperwork.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchkids View Post
I don't have any experience with either of them but depending on the county you are in, Florida's rules are not restrictive at all. They never say what your child has to learn or when. When I lived there, I simply sought out a like minded certified teacher who evaluated my kids' progress every year and sent in a letter stating that they were making adequate progress for their personal levels and development. It took me about 15 minutes a year. I honestly would not have wanted to deal with an umbrella school and extra paperwork.

The Florida Unschoolers doesn't require anything but you to submit a paper stating that you completed 180 hours of schooling per year.

The Allendale school has the perk of having offical records and long time from now, issues an actual diploma versus getting a GED in high school. I would only have to submit attendance and an annual evalution or test done at home.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I don't have personal experience but most of the people I know use florida unschoolers. I plan to do the same. Your child shouldn't have any problems getting into college or anything like that. Goodluck!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEllie View Post
I don't have personal experience but most of the people I know use florida unschoolers. I plan to do the same. Your child shouldn't have any problems getting into college or anything like that. Goodluck!
Thanks! I have been told that colleges these days really only want to see act/sat test scores, is that true?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I'm not 100% sure. What I just had a friend tell me though is if you go under an umbrella school you can't do sports and stuff like that with the public schools? but she said if you register as a "homeschooler" you can be involved but I guess under an umbrella school you are considered private. So now I'm starting to double think what I will be doing
Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
tward33556
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEllie View Post
I'm not 100% sure. What I just had a friend tell me though is if you go under an umbrella school you can't do sports and stuff like that with the public schools? but she said if you register as a "homeschooler" you can be involved but I guess under an umbrella school you are considered private. So now I'm starting to double think what I will be doing
I don't plan on our kids participating in public school's sports programs. I would rather enroll them into our churches programs (softball, baseball, soccer, etc.) and also some other fun classes from the local rec center.

Yes, you are right though, if you enroll as a private school student, you will not be allowed to participate in public school programs.