Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What's on your Spring to do, to add, to get list?

Mine:
Chickens: check got 10 chicks a few days ago (RI Reds) and got a rooster from my mom (She had 4 RI red roosters and wants them gone. Luckily my coop is divided into a smaller brooder coop for the babies when they are ready to move out there until they are old enough to join the roo in the main coop and pen)

Garden: well, this one needs work. It was pre-tilled last fall when we moved in but needs to be treated with a little lyme, straw or mulch and compost, retilled a couple times before I can plant.

Green house: Dh is cutting down the ness. trees this week (he's already gotten half down). The previous owners left a portable garage (one of those round ones with the canvas) the canvas on it is ripped, so we're putting green house plastic on it and converting it.

Berry patch: Not started need to wait for Dh to finish cutting trees so they don't get smooshed on accident.

Strawberry trellis along porch: Starting this weekend.

At least I got cleaning and setting up the chicken coop crossed of the list, chickens bought and growing, and almost all the seeds I want bought and ready to go. Getting seedlings started tomorrow.

So what about you ladies? What projects have you started, completed and still have yet to do, what is your timeline. Feeling overwhelmed or excited (I'm both).

Advertisement

Last edited by aiyana4969; 04-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.
aiyana4969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's on your Spring to do, to add, to get list?

We had rats in our garden last year so DH suggested we hold off on veggies this year. It made me really sad. Maybe I'll get one of those topsy turvy things or make my own since the rats loved my tomatoes.

We plan on adding some plants to the perimeter of our house (where there's a boring rock bed) and adding a composting bin behind our shed.

Fixing my second clothes line. A freak storm last year knocked it down and we only have one now.

Pinterest is great for inspiration but I admit that the more I pin things, the more overwhelmed I get.

ETA: I'm in the city. So not actually homesteading. Just noticed this was in the homesteading section. LOL

Last edited by keonli; 04-11-2012 at 01:28 PM.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

never been on pintrest

So sorry you had rats. I've never had that issue. Have had deer and plenty of birds, but never rats. We're going to put a critter fence around ours (mostly to keep out dog from trampling it).

Last edited by aiyana4969; 04-11-2012 at 01:20 PM.
aiyana4969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our list is ridiculous. Since we just moved here in January, and it's a new house the owners built on undeveloped land, we need to do pretty much everything! There's fairly heavy bush all around our house, the only thing they did was build the house, clear a small space for a yard and put up a 2 post fence that's pretty much useless for keeping anything out or in. We've already taken apart all the fence around the yard so we can reuse the posts for our animal fencing. DH borrowed a trackhoe from a friend and cleared out a space about 25' x 100' + for our garden/greenhouse area. He also used it to clear and level off a hill at the back of our house for where we're building the barn. There was a garden shed up on stilts (have no idea why) that the previous owners had built, so we used the trackhoe and lifted it off and moved it and will use it for our buck house. Piled up sand around it and today I'm putting black dirt on top so we can get grass seeded around it.

For the rest of the to do list:

- Plant grass around the buck house as well as on the hill which will be pasture area where we had to level off with the track hoe.
- Order and build 24' x 32' barn.
- Put up about 700' of fencing for chickens, turkeys, ducks, doe pen and sick/kidding pen.
- Haul in more black dirt, compost and peat for the garden area.
- Build our greenhouse (materials are here, we're building a 12' x 20' hoophouse.)
- Plant the garden and the started seedlings.
- Plant our raspberry bushes, strawberry bushes, honeyberries and hopefully a couple apple trees if I have time to go to the store to get some!
- Reseed grass around the garden area once we finish getting it all laid out.
- Build chicken tractor for the creepy meats.
- Build rabbit hutches/tractors.
- Put together chickie/turkey brooders (they're coming on June 1).
- Build milkstand.
- Go shopping for goat/chicken supplies/feed to get barn set up for them once it's done being built.
- Find some Pekin ducks on kijiji and pick them up!
- Pick up goats on July 18!
- Build a chicken plucker if my aunt can't find their old one for us.

This doesn't all have to be done this spring, but mostly . Barn and pastures must be finished by July 1. Garden goes in 3rd weekend in May at the latest. Hubby has 2 weeks of holidays he's taking Mid-May so we're hoping to get quite a bit done then. We'll be finishing off the garden area within the next 2 weeks, including building the greenhouse then we'll start building the barn. So I'm really crossing my fingers that one way or another we'll pull it all off!

Great idea for a thread btw, it'll be nice to be able to come back here and check things off my list!

ETA:
As promised, here are some before photos:

Here's the view of our house from halfway down the driveway:

IMG_0270 by sahm_of_two, on Flickr

If you're on the sidewalk and look to your left, this will be the garden/greenhouse area:

IMG_0271 by sahm_of_two, on Flickr

Here's the photo of our backyard from directly off the top deck. The barn will be built on the left side of the cleared area, the pens will come off of the left, back and right sides of it.

IMG_0273 by sahm_of_two, on Flickr

If you stand in our backyard and look to the left of the cleared area where the new barn is going, this is the little shed that we converted into our buck house. Just need to plant grass around it and fence it then it'll be ready for our 2 Lamancha bucklings that are coming mid-July.

IMG_0274 by sahm_of_two, on Flickr

I can't wait until everything turns green around here! It doesn't help that it's cloudy and about to rain here, but the pictures look so dreary and bare to me!

Last edited by sahmofthree; 04-12-2012 at 03:28 PM.
sahmofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmofthree View Post
Our list is ridiculous. Since we just moved here in January, and it's a new house the owners built on undeveloped land, we need to do pretty much everything! There's fairly heavy bush all around our house, the only thing they did was build the house, clear a small space for a yard and put up a 2 post fence that's pretty much useless for keeping anything out or in. We've already taken apart all the fence around the yard so we can reuse the posts for our animal fencing. DH borrowed a trackhoe from a friend and cleared out a space about 25' x 100' + for our garden/greenhouse area. He also used it to clear and level off a hill at the back of our house for where we're building the barn. There was a garden shed up on stilts (have no idea why) that the previous owners had built, so we used the trackhoe and lifted it off and moved it and will use it for our buck house. Piled up sand around it and today I'm putting black dirt on top so we can get grass seeded around it.

For the rest of the to do list:

- Plant grass around the buck house as well as on the hill which will be pasture area where we had to level off with the track hoe.
- Order and build 24' x 32' barn.
- Put up about 700' of fencing for chickens, turkeys, ducks, doe pen and sick/kidding pen.
- Haul in more black dirt, compost and peat for the garden area.
- Build our greenhouse (materials are here, we're building a 12' x 20' hoophouse.)
- Plant the garden and the started seedlings.
- Plant our raspberry bushes, strawberry bushes, honeyberries and hopefully a couple apple trees if I have time to go to the store to get some!
- Reseed grass around the garden area once we finish getting it all laid out.
- Build chicken tractor for the creepy meats.
- Build rabbit hutches/tractors.
- Put together chickie/turkey brooders (they're coming on June 1).
- Build milkstand.
- Go shopping for goat/chicken supplies/feed to get barn set up for them once it's done being built.
- Find some Pekin ducks on kijiji and pick them up!
- Pick up goats on July 18!
- Build a chicken plucker if my aunt can't find their old one for us.

This doesn't all have to be done this spring, but mostly . Barn and pastures must be finished by July 1. Garden goes in 3rd weekend in May at the latest. Hubby has 2 weeks of holidays he's taking Mid-May so we're hoping to get quite a bit done then. We'll be finishing off the garden area within the next 2 weeks, including building the greenhouse then we'll start building the barn. So I'm really crossing my fingers that one way or another we'll pull it all off!

Great idea for a thread btw, it'll be nice to be able to come back here and check things off my list!
*PICS!* I want to see what your land looks like now and an after photo!

The previous owners of this house had a nice chicken coop and that was it. No garden nothing. and where I wanted to put the garden I can't because the leechfeild is under that knoll and if the tiller goes too deep, well

I also want to get a hand pump for the well, but that will happen late summer at best. next year at worst. We sold our Camper for $800 and it was going to go towards these projects but then our furnace died. $600 later I used the remaining money to help out at Sam's club

My stepdad has a tractor with a digger on one end and dozer on the other which comes off and he has a tiller. The problem is he has enough work to do around thier property that tilling is about all I can get (but that's ok, every little bit helps) He has litterally built thier house with his own two hands. Mom fetches things and he has built it. They are 3 miles down from us and have 28 acres (prettier property too). they spent 2 years doing the landwork before thier other home was foreclosed on (he had a mechanics garage and boat shop, his buisness went under with the recession and they lost the whole property). They lived in thier camper for the spring,summer and fall while he built the house.

I admire your drive! Wish Dh had the same drive as me, he'll do what I ask like cutting down trees and helping me get the greenhouse set. But everything else is my project. He just wants to work on haunts (He's a huge Halloween freak, to the point he named out Halloween baby Wednesday Friday after Wednesday Friday Adams from the Adams family and spends his free time looking for classic herses to restore :eyeroll: ) I guess we all have out hobbies
Old 04-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I've learned to not create a spring list because it's a busy time of year for my farmer-husband! He is not able to help me during Spring do things around the house/yard as he's too busy plowing/discing/planting along with calving and lambing. We miss him during this time of year, but my 3 and 4 year old have been out with him in the day a few times a week to help get Papa time and start learning the ropes.

My Outside Spring To-Do List:
I'll plant my garden around the first week of May. My motherinlaw planted my starters and is taking care of them at her house (yay for helpful, kind mil's!).
I need to clean out a shed by the house.
Pick out one more porch swing for outside and convince hubby we NEED it!
Clean up side porch and organize my love's crap... with all the barns we have, I wish I could convince him to take a lot of tools there! He's wanting to build a small shed byt he house for his stuff which would be sooo helpful!
One thing on my hubby's list is to finish building the kids' tire swing.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
*PICS!* I want to see what your land looks like now and an after photo!

The previous owners of this house had a nice chicken coop and that was it. No garden nothing. and where I wanted to put the garden I can't because the leechfeild is under that knoll and if the tiller goes too deep, well

I also want to get a hand pump for the well, but that will happen late summer at best. next year at worst. We sold our Camper for $800 and it was going to go towards these projects but then our furnace died. $600 later I used the remaining money to help out at Sam's club

My stepdad has a tractor with a digger on one end and dozer on the other which comes off and he has a tiller. The problem is he has enough work to do around thier property that tilling is about all I can get (but that's ok, every little bit helps) He has litterally built thier house with his own two hands. Mom fetches things and he has built it. They are 3 miles down from us and have 28 acres (prettier property too). they spent 2 years doing the landwork before thier other home was foreclosed on (he had a mechanics garage and boat shop, his buisness went under with the recession and they lost the whole property). They lived in thier camper for the spring,summer and fall while he built the house.

I admire your drive! Wish Dh had the same drive as me, he'll do what I ask like cutting down trees and helping me get the greenhouse set. But everything else is my project. He just wants to work on haunts (He's a huge Halloween freak, to the point he named out Halloween baby Wednesday Friday after Wednesday Friday Adams from the Adams family and spends his free time looking for classic herses to restore :eyeroll: ) I guess we all have out hobbies
That's a great idea to take before pictures, I wish I would've thought to do it before we cleared bush, then you'd really see a huge change! I'll try to remember to take some and post them tomorrow.

I'm lucky, my dh is as into the projects as I am. He's also a welder and a heavy equipment operator (well technically he's just a boss now but used to be those things) and is able to borrow heavy machinery from work which has made quick work of our bush. Saved us a TON of money!! Plus he loves to design and build things, which makes it nice for me since I don't have to nag at him to get things done.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Man... is it easier to ask what ISN'T on the Spring to do list? LOL

Off the top of my head:
-Build a portable run for laying hens
-Finish/repair chicken tractor and get the meat birds going
-Get two more loads of manure into 2 garden plots and till... again....
-Obviously plant the veggies and berries (third weekend of May)
-I have several flower gardens that really require my attention, so I am hopeful that this will be the summer that they look pretty.
-Pressure wash the front of the house
-I have been puttering at making a potting shed area in my barn, so I want to complete that. We gutted our kitchen two summers ago and all the old kitchen cabinets are there. I want to use some of them and use the rest to create an outdoor veggie garden station, using rainwater barrels and a counter.
-Build a freestanding clothesline (we cannot agree on where to hang one, so I want an old school with posts and back and forth lines). Right now we are using an umbrella thing and I dislike it.
-Install solar panels on barn (ok, tiny dream here... we have a contract, but still in the beginning decision process).
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

What ISN'T! LOL

I have to within the next couple days make a chicken tractor out of our old porch swing frame for the older girls. They want to be outside more than I can "chicken-walk" them and when the babies get big enough, 9 not-tame-enough chicks is too many for one person to keep eyes on and safe from harm.

I have two more garden beds that need assembling and a trellis. If the weather forecast looks good I want to set out beans and lettuce/carrots next week.

Of course I need to get a move on that coop and run. The girls are growing so fast!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've mostly got the garden in order, it needs tilled one more time (which will have to be done by FIL as dh hasn't got a tiller running for me yet) but other than that I'm just waiting for it to be warm enough to plant. I'm going to plant some yarrow on the side-hill of our cave, so I need to get that dug up and planted, once it gets warmer. I kind of want to put Lily of the Valley under the cedar trees in the front yard, but I'm not sure I'll do that this year. I don't really have any huge projects planned. We just moved here in Dec, and there's a lot that needs done, but DH is so busy at work this time of year, it's hard saying when we'll get any of our indoor projects finished up, and I'd like to tackle that stuff before getting too crazy w/ anything else.