Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Help with night-training a older bedwetting child who sleeps like the dead

DS is 6 1/2. He's woken up dry maybe once or twice in his life. He doesn't take naps anymore, but if he does happen to fall asleep (like in the car last week) he'll pee in his sleep within an hour or two. We haven't made a big deal about it at all. Everything I've read says it's technically normal. He wears underjams to bed every night.

Anyway, I can tell it bothers him a little bit. After peeing in his carseat () he said, "I don't even know when I'm peeing" in a sad, pathetic voice.

Since he's getting older, I thought I'd try night training. I bought a bedwetting alarm from Amazon. The first night it went off by 10pm. Even when we moved the alarm up to his face, he didn't wake up. We finally pulled him out of bed to take him to the bathroom. I asked him a couple times if he was awake, and he said yes. The next morning, he didn't remember anything.

The next night we just tried waking him up to pee before DH and I went to bed. He woke up and peed but didn't remember anything in the morning. And even with emptying his bladder once in the night, he had still peed again.

I'm more and more convinced that DS just sleeps so heavy that he can't help it when his bladder muscles relax and he pees. (since he does this even during naps) Since he's not showing any signs of outgrowing this on his own (seriously, he pees all night every night!) is there any way we can help him? I'm thinking the bedwetting alarm just isn't going to wake him up.

He hasn't had an daytime accident in years, and as far as I can tell, has no problem holding his pee or recognizing the sensation of a full bladder.

Advertisement

Last edited by DesertRat; 04-11-2012 at 03:08 PM.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help with night-training a older bedwetting child who sleeps like the dead

I'm afraid it is a developmental thing and I don't know if there is anything you can do. Children can wet the bed as old as 11 or 12 and there are some very rare adults who do very occasionally wet the bed. There are medications but I don't know how effective they are. My youngest is also a bed wetter and it is frustrating but right now I am unwilling to try medications. I'm hoping that in the next few years he will stop.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

I could have written that post word for word. My DS will be 7 next month and wets very night. Most nights he will wet right through the under jams and soak his bed as well. We have had numerous conversations with his ped about it. It is completely developmental. We were told not to wake him up if it disrupts anyone's sleep cycle. There is medication, but since it works by making the kidneys withhold fluid, they don't like to prescribe it unless absolutely necessary. At his well check this year we will revisit the idea of medication because he is starting to be invited on sleepovers and since we can't even trust an overnight pull up to hold everything in, we have to decline, which is really starting to affect his self esteem.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't want to jump at the option of medication either. I know it's developmental. But since DS sleeps so heavily, I guess I started to wonder if he could outgrow it without some sort of "help."

DH's brother is such a heavy sleeper, even as an adult. It's a family joke now-- once he's out you cannot wake him up! (not sure if he ever had problems with wetting the bed though)

DS sometimes soaks out of underjams too. Most nights he can't re-wear his pajamas either b/c they retain the smell. But it's better than washing sheets every night so I won't complain too much.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately this is an issue of physical development. You can try the alarm. It was very successful for someone in my family. It attaches to the neck of the pj top and then to the undies. At the first drop of wetness, the alarm goes off. Poor guy it must be hard to put up with.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you tried less fluids at night? Maybe no drinks after dinner? Also, with DS we have a little potty in his room and he will get up in the middle of the night and use it, but if we take it out of his room he has an accident (the bathroom is directly across from his room.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976
I could have written that post word for word. My DS will be 7 next month and wets very night. Most nights he will wet right through the under jams and soak his bed as well. We have had numerous conversations with his ped about it. It is completely developmental. We were told not to wake him up if it disrupts anyone's sleep cycle. There is medication, but since it works by making the kidneys withhold fluid, they don't like to prescribe it unless absolutely necessary. At his well check this year we will revisit the idea of medication because he is starting to be invited on sleepovers and since we can't even trust an overnight pull up to hold everything in, we have to decline, which is really starting to affect his self esteem.
We have the same thing with my 6.5 year old. It is called immature bladder and is very common especially in boys
Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You might want to try waking him yourself several times a night for a couple weeks, then maybe his subconscious will kick in and he will just get up on his own. You will be losing a bit a sleep yourself in the process, but it might be worth a shot. Or you could wait till he grows out of it. Good luck!
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 11 year old son still wets nearly every night. It is very frustrating. We did the alarm and it is the same, I wake up but he doesn't. No way I can lug his big body to the bathroom.
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't wake or limit fluids, IME ( and my ped.'s) it doesn't help. My DD will be 9 in July and she still wets nearly every night. I did until almost 12.
Samandy is offline   Reply With Quote