Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Texas12
Registered
seller

raised beds in the garden

Hi, we have a small farm and love all our animals (and all the good food they provide). I have tried my hand at gardening before but nothing serious. This year we built 5 raised beds and are hoping for the best. So far, everything has sprouted....now to just keep the ants away! Anyone else using raised beds this season?
Cathy

Advertisement

Texas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm in Texas too. We have a raised bed and I just planted cucumbers, eggplant, summer squash, zucchini and spinach. Everything is already sprouting except the eggplant.

Now if I could just get my sweet potatoes to sprout I would be really happy!

What did you plant?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: raised beds in the garden

We did only 2 raised beds last year, and this year we added two more HUGE ones. I preferred the raised beds to in ground planting just b/c we have a SMALL lot and use our front yard where dogs and sometimes kids trample things. The beds kind of protect them. They also help with consistent watering as our front yard is on a slight slope. Also, part of our yard was once a rock parking strip and we tried digging out the rock and adding dirt on top but it was just still too rocky, so a raised bed there will be a big help for the plants this year. There's pics on my blog if you want to take a look. The link is in my siggy. Would love to see yours!
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just went to my blog and realized the post that shows the newest raised bed was back in March so if you don't want to weed through the blog, here's a link to just that post. You can also click on the subject of "our urban homestead" to get just posts related to that.
http://peasandcarrotsjenny.blogspot....-weekends.html
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a huge garden of raised beds. We made them out of a Trexx kind of material.

It gets so wet here in Oregon I find that the raised beds keep the plants toes from getting soggy and decaying.

I'm jealous of you getting to put things out already. I've got spinach, lettuce, snap peas and some cole family plants but nothing that can't handle a frost still. Our last frost was like 4 days ago.

Added Pics:

Last edited by fish3737; 04-12-2012 at 09:45 PM.
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I have 4 raised beds by my walk way to the house. It's convenient as I can weed here and there as I'm running out the door! I learned last year to not put tomatoes in them though because they crowd the walk.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Sabriel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH built us a raised bed this year. It is just 4x8, but it is our first vegetable garden. The girls and I are having fun with it. We planted broccoli, cauliflower and spinach plants a week ago. They are still alive! And we have radishes and lettuce that have sprouted! We also planted carrots, peas, onions and potatoes. I would love to have another bed for strawberries, but the first bed was expensive. That may have to wait until next year.