Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Are you doing a glucose test

It is not standard here and without medical reasoning you pay out of pocket. I did it last time and got a wonky reading bacause I ate cake the night before all other results were fine.

This time obgyn wants to do it, it would be paid by insurance.

But she requires I sit in the office 3 hours with ds. I do not have any childcare options.

I live a half block away and asked if I could come home and just go in as needed and she said no then people cheat and screw up the results.

I really do not want to do this. Ds starts screaming any time we wait more then a half hour somewhere.

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
fireflies77
Registered Users

Re: Are you doing a glucose test

I did 2 tests, the first is a 1 hour test, which I failed and then the scheduled me for the 3 hour one and again I failed. Are they skipping the 1 hour test for you since the last time you took it, it was wonky? Will DH be able to go with you? The 3 hour test made me horrible ill for a few hours so I would recommend someone be there with you. That way he could watch the baby as well.
fireflies77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
SashaE80
Registered Users

My Mood:

DDC - sorry....

This is an interesting article.
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html

There is a lot of information out there with pros and cons, I'm not having it done, but it took me a lot of research to get to that decision.
SashaE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Cupcake213
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You should do the hour test first unless you failed the hour test. That is the only way I have seen it done.
Cupcake213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
lucysgreenmomma
Registered Users
seller

I'm skipping it as long as everything else looks good. With my last pregnancy I did take the 1 hour test. They had a HORRIBLE time drawing my blood and ended up having the stick me in both arms, missing and taking blood from my hand, twice because the first time they stuck my hand I passed out. ( I've never had any problems with blood draws in the past) oh, and when I passed out I pee'd my pants!!!! I also felt horrible because of what they make you drink. So needless to say I REALLY don't want to do that test again!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

They do not do the one hour test here. They do the 3 hour where you have to fast so they only do it in the morning and Dh cannot get time off.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm... I don't think eating cake the night before would impact your test result (done the next day) unless maybe you possibly did have G.D.

I know when I took the (regular/one hour) test with my daughter, they told me to eat *exactly* how I would normally, and I have a huge sweet tooth, so I didn't try to change anything before the test.

I would probably do the test if it's covered by insurance, unless you plan on making a lot of effort to be extra healthy and avoid sweets (even fruit and bread-type stuff which can raise your blood sugar quite a bit)

Good luck, whichever route you decide to go!
Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.
Arizonah13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
I do it, but only because DH has wanted me to do it each time. I know a lot of people who skip it, and choose to eat a semi-GD diet instead, just to be cautious.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm skipping it. My midwife with my last 2 pregnancies wanted me to eat a low carb/sugar diet anyway, so if I did have GD that is the diet that I would be eating anyways.

Not that this is a special diet, it's just lots of veggies, fruit and whole foods.
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

junejay4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #10
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Here they tell you not to eat anything sweet the evening before. They redid the test any my results where fine I never had GD.

Do not eat sweets and no eating after 6 pm the night before the test so that 15 hours fasting with only water, plus 3 hours for the test.