Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
Help!!! Mineral buildup causing repelling!

The last couple of weeks my pockets have suddenly started repelling! I've had to change DS clothes and diapers repeatedly over the last couple of weeks! I tried stripping them with Dawn, but they are still repelling. I'm not having any stink problems at all and all my natural fiber inserts and prefolds haven't been a problem.
I think the problem came from washing my diapers at my mom's house last time I was visiting. They have super hard water, and get mineral buildup within days on any hard surface that water touches.
So what do I do? Any suggestions on breaking it up? Borax? Washing soda? Vinegar? Oh, and DS has super sensitive skin, so I can't use any mainstream detergent (I use homemade). Thanks!

Posted from my iPhone/iPad, probably while breast feeding. Mistakes likey

Advertisement

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help!!! Mineral buildup causing repelling!

I would double-check that it's not a fit issue OR an issue of the inserts getting soaked and the the diaper leaking. Sometimes if the diaper is not snug enough against your LO, the wetness won't wick through the stay-dry fabric and some will leak out. Since you aren't having a issue w/the other diapers, I'm inclined to think it may be more of a fit or absorbency issue.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
I checked for fit issues. I actually tested a couple of pockets before he went to bed, and he didn't leak out of them. I checked to see if those were repelling and they weren't. But overnight I had two different diapers leak and I had to change him. I finally put him in a flip with the same inserts and he didn't leak. It fits the same as the bg 4.0 that was leaking. I've checked the legs, the back. When I take off the diaper is looks like the pee is running up and over his thigh and leaks out the back ( I always make sure he is pointing down too). I'm almost positive it's a repelling issue because I've tried different inserts, and only some of them are leaking (I'm assuming the ones I washed at my mom's) but there are a few that aren't.. Unfortunately, it's most of the diapers that are repelling.

Posting from my iPhone/iPad probably while breastfeeding. Please excuse mistakes.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Aydinsmom
Registered Users
seller

Try stripping with RLR or lemi shine. You can get lemi shine at Walmart. You can get RLR samples online at some diaper retailers. I haven't used RLR but it is supposed to help remove hard water deposits I think. You can also try sport wash, which you can get at Walmart. I don't know that it is made for hard water but it really strips everything out of diapers. I tried it and my diapers were so much softer after, even without Ecover.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Aydinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thanks for the response. I didn't have a car today and was desperate to get this fixed so I took a bucket of hot water and some borax and scrubbed the suede cloth. It made a chemical reaction! But I think I may have fixed it. I've had him in three different pockets (alvas) so far and none have leaked. My BumGenius 4.0s were the worst and that's what he sleeps in. I have one on him right now and praying that it works! I'll have to pick up some of the lemi shine stuff next time I go to Walmart just in case I have this issue again.

Posting from my iPhone/iPad probably while breastfeeding. Please excuse mistakes.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
sprout47
Registered Users
seller

We moved to a city with very hard water a few months ago, and I now add a scoop of Calgon with my detergent every time now, but I still use RLR every 6 weeks or so. I was able to find it at a local grocery store by calling the supplier and finding out where it's distributed locally. If your problem isn't solved yet, try the RLR now, or stocking up on Calgon for the next time you wash with hard water. It's also great for removing detergent build-up.
sprout47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
vinimom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another vote for RLR. We have hard water too.
vinimom is offline   Reply With Quote