Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

a newborn and toddler next to each other in car...

Not really a carseat question per se.....DS will be just turning 2 when this one is born. We have worked out that the only logical place for both R****** seats is in the middle of our dodge caravan (2 seat bench). So, they will be next to each other. I have done this in the past, but long ago, you F***** early, so I could always see what the toddler was up to. Wondering if I should be concerned....the toddler frequently has snacks, pen and paper, toy cars, etc, etc to keep him busy (he doesn't like the car and we are in it a lot). My worry is him throwing something and hitting the baby or trying to *feed* the baby, etc. Should I be worried? Tips? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: a newborn and toddler next to each other in car...

DD was 3 and FF but she never tried to mess with ds when they were right beside each other. She did occasionally try to give him a toy. We just made sure all blankets were out of her reach (so she wouldn't try to cover him up) and all toys were soft. We also have the rear seat mirror thing so we can see RF. I still use it and ds is 18 months. I like being able to see their faces.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had DD2 when DD1 just turned 3 and was FF. OMG, I quickly had to rearrange the seating. We have a car and I had to put DS1 who was 7 in between the carseats. DD1 would unbuckle herself and baby while i was driving, also had to use child safety locks because she would open the door while I was driving. They are 4 and 1 now and still cant be put close together in the car. DD1 wants to be mommy:/ It's like that at home to unfortunately, getting better but still have those want to rip my hair out days! Really I think it depends on the child, if you need to rethink seating once baby is here that's always an option
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I had no trouble when I F***** the toddler (with my older kids), bc I could see what was going on and put a stop to it. (and I can't get those mirrors to work so I can see the RF-ers). I don't have another option for the carseats though. I have 4 teen boys who can't fit next to a car seat in the back 3rd row, so the baby and toddler have to be in the middle together in this vehicle. It's cramped as it is with just one carseat and once the baby gets here, we won't even be able to fit the whole family :/. I don't always have the teens with me, but moving one seat from back to middle every time would do me in!
More to ponder, thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I never had a problem with both rearfacing, they really can't see each other. The sides of the carseats block the other from view. It also is hard for them to reach the other. My kids now are just starting to bother each other. They are 4.5 and 2.5 and both rfing. It is easier for my 2.5 year old to bother his sister as his carseat (Radian) isn't as enclosed as his sister's (MyRide65) I would be way more worried if one was rfing and the other ffing as they would be facing each other and the toddler would be looking at the baby the whole time.

When my May baby comes, we will be in the same situation. The two youngest on the middle bench seat of a minivan. Since they are both going to be rearfacing, I'm not worried to much!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

My oldest is in the middle, so she's next to the baby. It's not really an issue for us either, except that she wishes she could help him when he gets upset, and she just can't. She holds his hand if she's able, but that's about it.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I was going to suggest a nice, deep car seat like the MyRide for at least one of them. That way it will be harder for the toddler to reach the baby.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Addi sits next to Ryan in the truck both rfing. We do have a mirror but can only see Ryan. She has toys and snacks and sippy cups ect in the car. She likes to shove things between the two seats. The worse she has done is taking her shoes off and throwing them over on him but it hasn't seemed to bother him at all. It upsets her when he cries and she does her best to reach over and hold his hand. I bet K will be sweet and I wouldn't worry about it. IF K is a little too rough, can you move him to the 3rd row?

Last edited by solarbabies; 04-12-2012 at 05:25 PM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I can't move K because the teens can't sit in the back belted with a car seat back there and it only has latch on the 2nd row. Plus then I can't get to him. the carseats we have (and can't get new ones) are the triumph (or tribute, whichever is the cheaper one) and the scenara. In those seats, he can reach the other seat and see very clearly the baby. (or will be able to). As I said when I had a toddler F******, I didn't worry at all bc I could see and put a stop to anything. I am not saying he would be mean, at all, more like "helpful" so that is my concern...
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

I have 3 across in my DH pickup 1 DD1 RF 6 month DD2 old RF and 2 DS FF we got the pickup when DD2 was 6 weeks old the older kids take her blankets and once in a while the 2 will take his shoes off and put them on the baby but they have never hurt her I only give them soft toys so if they did throw them it wouldn't hurt her