Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hib vaccine experiences?

This is one vaccine that I might consider. My sister and I both got hib
when we were 2.5. My sister almost died from meningitis before my parents got back from taking me to the hospital for a serious eye infection. I was wondering if any other parents have selectively vaxed only this vaccine at one time and what your experience was. My understanding is that my newborn should be immune while I'm exclusively nursing.

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hib vaccine experiences?

My EBF 5 month old got HIB. She had been vaccinated partially and got it anyhow. The doctor said having even partial vaccine may have saved her life. She seems to have some type of speech apraxia now, and the doctor says it could be due to her bout with meningitis ... IMO, this is one vaccine I wouldn't skip - the illness has not been eradicated and can be picked up ANYWHERE.
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well since I had it as a child I should pass on that immunity. I will probably ask to be tested for the antibodies.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is one of the vaxes I give my kids under 2. EBF will help, but isn't complete protection (neither are vaxes, but they help too). My DD reacted to it with a 105 fever. DS had no discernible rxn other than slight crabbiness. DD reacted less to ActHib than PedVaxHib, so I tried to be sure she (and later, DS) got the ActHib version. When we created our final selective/delay schedule, we decided to give Hib at 4 or 6mths and 15 or 18 mths (2 shots total). DD had 3 shots, but DS only had 2.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I do most vax's and my kids have never reacted to anything beyond being sleepy.
Having said that, I understood that many people didn't vax not just because of a potential bad reaction at the time but because of the potential longer term, and unknown, consequences?
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

We do this one. Hib can be so serious although rare. Dr. Sears says in the book it is also oe of the safest with least reactions of all the vaccines. Also I have a super no vax friendly doctor and she recommends only this vaccine and the dtap.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
Having said that, I understood that many people didn't vax not just because of a potential bad reaction at the time but because of the potential longer term, and unknown, consequences?
This is why we don't vax but I was just curious what others experiences had been with it.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
This is why we don't vax but I was just curious what others experiences had been with it.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy View Post
We do this one. Hib can be so serious although rare. Dr. Sears says in the book it is also oe of the safest with least reactions of all the vaccines. Also I have a super no vax friendly doctor and she recommends only this vaccine and the dtap.
Our Doctor is the same way! He told us what he would never give his kids and what he would - this is one I would (and he wouldnt) skip. My daughter had all 3 shots on time and did not have any issues with it or even a fever. I do give a little medicine before hand to just encase but I dont think it was ever needed.

My cousin almost died from meningitis when she was almost 2... The doctors kept blowing it off as a flu but after trying the different hospitals someone did a spinal and sure enough she had meningitis!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah and my understanding is that not enough antibodies are passed through BM, kwim? Otherwise nobody's kids would get anything that their parents had if they were BF, for example chickenpox. I don't think I'd rely on that ... I understand people forgoing some vax due to reactions, many diseases we vax for have been eradicated (I know there is some debate on this, just saying I "get" that aspect). HiB, however, is just as prevalent now as it was pre-vax in the unvax population. I would NEVER want to live through that fear with one of my children again (helicopter ride, almost died, potential lifelong learning issues) and wouldn't take the chance of skipping that vax. Just my :twocents:
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote