Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Really Good Article on Choosing Bottles

I found this link:

http://capitalpediatrics.com/2012/03...one-do-we-use/

It measured the amount of milk and air that comes out of a bottle for some of the most commonly used bottles and how it relates to gas and reflux. I found it really helpful!

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
andreaw97
Registered Users
seller

Re: Really Good Article on Choosing Bottles

so the plsytex drop-ins are the best

/
andreaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaw97 View Post
so the plsytex drop-ins are the best

/
Apparently! I know those are my favorite bottles. I hate washing bottles and my son always did best with playtex.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's interesting, playtex drop ins were the only bottles my son could handle that didn't cause him gas pain and projectile vomit. As long as we used those bottles and RTF formula he was fine. But give him a standard bottle and powdered formula and look out.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So, I bought a Playtex drop-in yesterday! But I just realized that it says to not heat the liner in the microwave! We've been heating up the water in the microwave(with our other bottles) and then adding the formula. Is the liner going to melt with 10 seconds of microwaving?

Also, I was a bit frustrated that every I went to burp DD, the bottle would fill up with air again(I squeezed it out before she started)! Is there any way to avoid that happening?
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I found this article interesting, but a little short on info. How on earth do you use a breastpump on a bottle? How did she ensure she got the same good seal? I don't remember, did she repeat to check consistency of results? Were these new bottles? It's not exactly what I would call solid research based on what I read, though certainly interesting. And she didn't test my favorite bottles.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:

This was an interesting read but not all babies drink at the same pace. My kids all nursed for only 10 min. a feeding. If I tried using the lower flow bottles they refused to take them. We never had problems with excess air either. Its important to do your research with your LO to see which is the best fit.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by png_lovebirds View Post
So, I bought a Playtex drop-in yesterday! But I just realized that it says to not heat the liner in the microwave! We've been heating up the water in the microwave(with our other bottles) and then adding the formula. Is the liner going to melt with 10 seconds of microwaving?

Also, I was a bit frustrated that every I went to burp DD, the bottle would fill up with air again(I squeezed it out before she started)! Is there any way to avoid that happening?
They will be fine in the microwave - these were my favorite bottles when i was a nanny, and my sister uses them exclusively! Heck, I used to toss the liners in the dishwasher to clean and re-use them!

As for the air in the bottle. I never found a good way to get rid of it other than the sliders - Playtex used to make these clip-on slider things that you slid up the bottle as baby drank to keep the air out. They were amazing fantastic inventions that I can't find anymore my guess is they were banned because stupid people were force feeding their poor kids with them Anyway... I'm off topic, so ya, try to find the sliders?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Hey! They still do make a version of the sliders - now they are built into the bottle "Playtex Easy Feed"
http://bpafreebotol.files.wordpress....-feed-8-oz.jpg
Old 04-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Hey! They still do make a version of the sliders - now they are built into the bottle "Playtex Easy Feed"
http://bpafreebotol.files.wordpress....-feed-8-oz.jpg