Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
would 2 radians fit better? Pics

So we MIGHT be driving across the country this summer. Most likely in July so I would have a 25mth old and a 6 mth old. The car is an 05 hyundai elantra, it's not too small, but it has these lovely formed seats that DO NOT play nice with carseats.

I can't believe it, but I can get the britax ra55 outboard with latch and the radian center with belt, both independently tight, though I like a rock solid install and the radian does not have that in the center (less than an inch though) ( I did try the ra55 with seatbelt and it didn't make a difference because of the formed seats)

Would 2 radians fit better? And would ds at 6 mths be able to be that upright? I am assuming he would by then. I guess it would just be more of a comfort thing by then.

I want to be able to install 2 seats next to each other so that I can sit back there with the kids to occupy them on the 17+ hr drive each way. I CAN fit back there like this, but I have to buckle before I close the door and then I am so squeezed it would be pretty hard to sit like that for 17 hrs! We have been thinking about getting him a radian once he outgrows the keyfit anyway.

ETA:
This is how upright the radian is outbourd with the AA (the only way it fits nicely in our car) would it be too much for a just turned 6 mth old? (I know the straps are a little loose in the pics)

Totally OT but....
wanna know something funny? You know how the doors have the child locks so once it is closed, you can't open from the inside? Well, I sat in the seat and closed the door to make sure I fit and then I couldn't open it. Hmmm....squished with my arms out in front of me all buckled in and can't reach the buckle because it is such a tight fit and I am the only adult home. I finally squirmed enough to unbuckle but then it was a dilemma of whether to try to climb into the front seat or climb over the 2 carseats to get to the driver side back door that was open. I am not a small lady, so this was a true problem. I had no idea I could squeeze and suck it in as much as I did to get out of that back seat So, make sure that the child lock isn't locked before you shut yourself in the backseat. Just had to share.

Advertisement

Last edited by solarbabies; 04-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
epiclesis
Registered Users
seller

Re: would 2 radians fit better? Pics

I'd fly. lol

Personally, for long car rides, I like to put a little more recline on a car seat just to make it a little more comfortable than completely upright. Probably not very do-able for your car and Radians.

Plus, I think a Britax and a Radian take up less space than two Radians next to each other.
epiclesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I would stick with the RA55 and the Radian. They typically take up less side-side space than two radians facing the same direction.

I'd plan as much of your trip as possible to occur while the kids are sleeping. Unfortunately there is a lot of daylight in July, so it's probably less likely that kids will sleep in the car during early morning/early evening hours. But regardless there is NO WAY that I would plan to spend the entire trip in the back seat with two car seats! Good luck!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I looked at flying....with 2 adults and 2 kids in seats it's about $2k! NO WAY! We could do one lap baby but it is still $1500 that way. Plus, we are visiting sil who has 4 kids, no way to transport the 4 of us and the 6 of them....so driving is about our only option if we want to go.

Driving at night is one thing we are thinking about. And no way would I sit back there the whole time! DH and I will take turns and hopefully we will both sit up front most of the way. DH will fit back there better than me so that will help some too.

So really? 2 radians wouldn't work better? Depending on the seats, I would be willing to possibly buy different ones if it would work better, but we are so limited on space in all directions it is hard!

Last edited by solarbabies; 04-12-2012 at 12:32 PM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
genevievej84
Registered Users

Can you put your DD in the Roundabout and your DS in the more reclined Radian? The Roundabout looks pretty upright for a 6 month old, though if he doesn't have a problem with it, it's ok.
genevievej84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genevievej84 View Post
Can you put your DD in the Roundabout and your DS in the more reclined Radian? The Roundabout looks pretty upright for a 6 month old, though if he doesn't have a problem with it, it's ok.
I could do that. I plan to recline it more as long as it still fits the same. The only thing I don't like about that is DD has a lot more leg room in the radian and ds doesn't need the leg room.

If we end up getting another radian, it would have to be as upright as the radian installed in the center, assuming they fit next to each other.