Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Chores for a 6 year old?

I am wondering what some appropriate chores for a 6 1/2 year old are.
DH and I think the kids need to start helping out a bit more because they really don't do anything. All I ask is that they pick up their toys at the end of the day and they don't even do that without a fight
DS is not ready for an organized chore list yet I don't think. He just turned 3 but he is developmentally delayed by 2 standard deviations so he is much more like a new 2 in many ways. He does help by putting his plate in the sink etc and that works for me.

Now ODD on the other hand is 6 1/2 and VERY bright so there is NO reason she shouldn't be helping more. I want a few chores for her to do throughout the week to earn a very small amount of money. I don't think kids should get money for helping out BUT I want to teach her about money and how important it is to divide your money between saving, spending, and giving (charity) so I want a few chores that earn her money. She is very interested in how I budget and such so this is a good teaching time I think.
SO all that to say what sort of chores are good for a 6 1/2 year old? We don't have a yard if that matters at all

Advertisement

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chores for a 6 year old?

all my kids(5.5, 4 and almost 2) have chores. the girls(4 and 5.5) put up the plastic dishes and silverware, wipe off the table before and after meals, sweep the kitchen and fold and put up their laundry. ds (2) helps with the dishes, folds the kitchen rags(sortof lol), dries off the table and puts up undies and socks when we do laundry. they all are responsible for picking up their toys and dirty laundry. we dont do allowance yet. but are considering it.

ETA: they dont do everything 'perfect' and i usually go behind and resweep or organize the dishes but they try.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 7 year old has been doing chores for the last year or so. It didn't start all at once, but slowly built as his confidence and abilities grew.

Taking out garbage, bring dirty laundry to laundry to laundry room, put away folded laundry, make bed, clean room, take turns with big brother feeding and watering the animals, brings out the vacuum and gets started vacuuming (I finish), takes out the compost bin.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our kids chores are on a rotation. Their ages are 10, 8, & 6.
Chores include vaccum(about 800 sq ft)
mop(resusable micofiber pad w/ sprayer type)about 800 sq ft
feed and water dogs
dust entertainment center(all enclosed so just the top and sides but no inside noogies &
glass on front door
sweep porch(very small) & scoop dog yard 6X12 ft area
empty dishwasher, clean fronts of stainless steel appliances
wipe bathroom, counter, sink, and mirror(toilet is a mama job)
scrub tub w/ Mr. Clean eraser

The kids have 3 of those chores per day as well as being responsible for cleaning up their room, making their beds,folding/putting away their own laundry, and we have a laundry helper and kitchen helper each day. The third kid is off for helper duty.

Kitchen helper:helps prepare meals, helps clear table, and wipes the table making sure all kitchen cloths(napkins, unpaper towels, etc. are taken to the laundry room.

Laundry helper: switches loads, sorts clean items to be folded, and helps fold community items like napkins, diapers, and family cloth.

These jobs are done with an age appropriate level of reminders(verbal) and supervision. There are charts and instructions in clear sleeves hanging in the kitchen
Old 04-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our 7 year old (with 3 year old's help) feeds the dogs, unloads plastic dishes from dishwasher, wipes kitchen table before/after meals, sets meal items out and puts away after, clears place at the table after meals, picks up whatever their 1 year old brother has gotten out and made a mess of (books, duplos, etc), bathroom counter and mirror, sometimes loads or switches laundry loads, vacuums bedroom rugs, picks up.
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
BLargy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
Our kids chores are on a rotation. Their ages are 10, 8, & 6.
Chores include vaccum(about 800 sq ft)
mop(resusable micofiber pad w/ sprayer type)about 800 sq ft
feed and water dogs
dust entertainment center(all enclosed so just the top and sides but no inside noogies &
glass on front door
sweep porch(very small) & scoop dog yard 6X12 ft area
empty dishwasher, clean fronts of stainless steel appliances
wipe bathroom, counter, sink, and mirror(toilet is a mama job)
scrub tub w/ Mr. Clean eraser

The kids have 3 of those chores per day as well as being responsible for cleaning up their room, making their beds,folding/putting away their own laundry, and we have a laundry helper and kitchen helper each day. The third kid is off for helper duty.

Kitchen helper:helps prepare meals, helps clear table, and wipes the table making sure all kitchen cloths(napkins, unpaper towels, etc. are taken to the laundry room.

Laundry helper: switches loads, sorts clean items to be folded, and helps fold community items like napkins, diapers, and family cloth.

These jobs are done with an age appropriate level of reminders(verbal) and supervision. There are charts and instructions in clear sleeves hanging in the kitchen
WOW you have inspired me to have my son do more!

Currently my not quite 6 year old puts away his clothes,cleans his room ,helps sort/load/switch laundry,set/clear table,takes the dog potty and feeds him.(everything is as needed)
BLargy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My guys are young still but this is what they do

4 year old feeds the dogs
Cleans up after he eats (puts dishes in sink)
Wipes up messes in bathroom or table
Cleans up and organizes his toys
All around mommys helper
puts away some of the laundry (towels and clothes that go in his drawers)
Puts there dirty clothes in laundry room

Almost 3 yr old
Puts away his diapers and clothes (pt'ing at the moment)
Helps put away random things throughout the day
Cleans up after he eats (put dishes on counter)
Cleans up and organizes toys.
Put there dirty clothes in laundry room

They are both good with the toy clean-up bc all there toys have specific places they go--they will actually get mad at me if I pit a toy in the wrong box.

There toys saty in the toy area which is actually where the dining room is suppose to go. They do not have toys in there room--only 1 or 2 things they may sleep with.

If cleanup is an issue we set a timer and they have to clean it all up before the timer goes off.

They also know what toy is "open" (what they can play with atm) or "closed" (what they cannot play with atm)

This helps with the toy issue you mentioned

Last edited by dagmomma; 04-12-2012 at 02:15 PM.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
RachelC
Registered Users
seller

I have a 6.5 year old and I don't really have a lot of chores for her, but she is expected to

Set the table for dinner
Clean up after herself with craft stuff/etc
Clean her room every evening

So, it's mostly just cleaning up her own messes, but she loves to help around dinner time, so setting the table is the chore I chose for her. I'd love to stalk this thread for more ideas, though!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
ktarsha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 6-year-old's chores are to put away the flatware from the dishwasher, make his bed - or strip the sheets if he wets the bed in the night - and sweep under the table after dinner (this one's new, and half the time I forget to remind him, so we're still working on this); he also likes to vacuum, so I let him help with that in the living room and his bedroom. We're also still working on putting toys away every evening. That's one I should have implemented years ago, but I didn't and now it's a big fight to get him to do it.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My children do family help out chores that do not earn money...those include:

10 year old: scoop litter box, keep room clean, take own place setting to sink, rinse, and put in dishasher, put away her laundry, pick up sticks before I mow, and clean up landing (that is where I put anything they have left out).

8 year old: scoop litter box, keep room clean, take place setting to sink, rinse and put in dishwasher, put away her laundry, pick up sticks, and clean landing.

7 year old: take out garbage, take place setting to sink, put away his laundry, pick up sticks, and clean landing.

5 year old: take out garbage, take place setting to sink, put away his laundry, pick up sticks, and clean landing.

They are also responsible for keeping their own bathroom cleaned up and clean (I monitor this).

To earn money they can help out with the babies...feeding, changing, dressing, the 10 year old can help bathe them, clean up their toys, etc. If I have had an especially tough day and am exhausted I might off "double the money to anyone who wants to take over feeding this evening". They love that! They get a quarter per task which adds up fast with twins!