Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:
Pooping out of dipe in a.m.

My LO has this great new habit of pooping about 10 minutes before we get him up in the morning (6 a.m.).

His poops are normally very soft and in mass quantity. Hence several times a week I have a complete mess on my hands. His poop seeps through the sides of the dipe and often get on his lower back/inside of his PJs.

I use BG 4.0s or Kawaai Heavy Overnight (which almost seems too big for him so I try not to use that one a lot), stuffed with a flip organic insert (and/or a hemp doubler, depends on my mood..) It's bulky as it is, but absorbant for pee (he's never had a leak in that department).

It's not quite summer here so I can't sun my dipes yet. A couple of them are pretty stained

I can't afford wool.... any other advice or will he just grow out of it? I've started putting liners in the overnight diapers, but this morning that was really no help, either.

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pooping out of dipe in a.m.

Start going in to get him 15 minutes earlier, and quickly getting his diaper off, then sit him on a little potty or hold him over the big potty for a few minutes. Yes, really. Just try it once or twice.

My DD used to always treat us to a massive poopsplosion either in the night diaper or on the changing table. Not the greatest way to start the day. Now she sits on the potty first thing and almost every day takes a nice big poop. She is 10 months old and we started this when she was 5.5 months.
shen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only thing that comes to mind would be to put a pul cover over the diaper...a Thirsties is poofy but has good containment at the legs and waist so it wouldn't be too snug...if that wouldn't bother your ds. It might be a little hot, but hopefully this is a phase that won't last long.
Good luck!
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would pick up an aplix BG Flip for $9 from the seconds sale on Cottonbabies.
My 20+ lb guy does the same exact thing. He leaked out of our pockets with snaps, but he never leaks out of our Flips with aplix (the aplix allows us to get a good, snug fit). The diaper is a nightmare in the morning, but completely contained.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I suspect the nighttime diaper is just do bulky, you can't get a tight enough fit to contain the poo. If your kid is like mine, bowel habits will change with the addition of solids and different foods. I might try putting a cover over the nighttime diaper to try to contain it in the meantime. (You'll probably need to go up a couple sizes to accommodate.) Or try a different nighttime diaper.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I recommend covering his diaper with a fleece soaker that is higher in rise and will adequately cover the entire diaper plus. The fleece should contain the mess, so jammies etc won't be dirty. You can wash the fleece in your machine with any laundry, so it's easier than wool in that respect.

ETA -- I also agree w/the other suggestions from PPs; things should change and you won't always be dealing with this particular problem.

Last edited by boysniris; 04-12-2012 at 12:49 PM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7
Start going in to get him 15 minutes earlier, and quickly getting his diaper off, then sit him on a little potty or hold him over the big potty for a few minutes. Yes, really. Just try it once or twice.

My DD used to always treat us to a massive poopsplosion either in the night diaper or on the changing table. Not the greatest way to start the day. Now she sits on the potty first thing and almost every day takes a nice big poop. She is 10 months old and we started this when she was 5.5 months.
Yes try this if you can! This is what we started doing with DD every morning and she pees in her potty every time, and poops about every other day in it. I'm terrible about doing it throughout the day, but it's been great first thing. They really do learn!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks, all.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

I don't know if a fleece soaker (pull on style) would be convenient. It requires pulling it off along with any poop it caught in the process, that could create a bigger mess down the legs than before. How about a larger fleece wrap style cover? Or I like the PUL cover OVER the pocket diaper idea. That doesn't sound breathable though, but if he's not sensitive to being a little warm it might work. I love the bummis super brite covers. Super full coverage, it might fit well over a stuffed pocket.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

I think the potty idea is great!