Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

travel carseats?

I need to get seats to travel across country with. I was originally going to have them shipped to where I'm going (I may still) but then have my BFF keep the boxes so I can bring them back again with me, in a box (in hopes that they won't get mangled by the airlines).

I need to get two seats.
One for my 20 month old DD (almost 20 lbs, 32in tall). She is currently rear facing in a Britax Advocate 70. I need something that is not incredibly heavy, nor super expensive, but I also don't want a cosco seat (we will be driving a fair bit, so comfort is a factor). I was thinking a Truefit or a Myride or a Britax RA 55. I hate Evenflo seats, so would prefer to stay away from them (although honestly I haven't touched one in 10 years or so, but I hated them back then). Is there something else in the price range of those two that would be a good seat for her? I'd like her to rear face until 3 ish years or so.

I also need a seat for my 5 yr old DS (40 ish lbs, 43 in). He currently rides in either a Britax Regent or a Frontier 85 harnessed. He needs the harness b/c there is no way he'd sit still in the car. However for travelling, there would be someone sitting with him all the time, so I'm more confident that we could convince him to sit still. Is he old enough for a no back booster? That is obviously the cheapest solution, and would be great as I need to spend a fair amount on his sister's chair.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement

megs715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: travel carseats?

If I were you I would try out the evenflo tribue and see what you think. Otherwise, maybe look at the guide 65, it's a new seat, I am really wanting to check it out myself. Those are the cheapest rfing seats that I know of other than the scenera. Your dd is about the size of mine and mine fits great with room to grow in the tribute...it is light, more padded then the scenera, and cheap (but is evenflo)

For your ds a booster would probably be appropriate, but I don't know if he needs a hb or a no back booster. someone else can weigh in on that one. If you end up getting him a harnessed seat you could get the evenflo meastro (once again evenflo)

And why shipping them? If you use on the plane instead of checking them then they would be safer from the bad baggage practices

Last edited by solarbabies; 04-12-2012 at 04:14 PM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

If someone will be with your DS the whole time I'd get a lightweight HBB. At 5 he needs to be in a HBB. The Turbobooster would be a great seat and its lightweight also.

I'm assuming when you say you don't want a Cosco seat you mean Dorel as a whole..the Guide is a Dorel seat but I wouldn't knock them all. It does have more padding than the Scenera and would probably be a good choice for your situation.

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 04-12-2012 at 05:33 PM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post
If I were you I would try out the evenflo tribue and see what you think. Otherwise, maybe look at the guide 65, it's a new seat, I am really wanting to check it out myself. Those are the cheapest rfing seats that I know of other than the scenera. Your dd is about the size of mine and mine fits great with room to grow in the tribute...it is light, more padded then the scenera, and cheap (but is evenflo)

For your ds a booster would probably be appropriate, but I don't know if he needs a hb or a no back booster. someone else can weigh in on that one. If you end up getting him a harnessed seat you could get the evenflo meastro (once again evenflo)

And why shipping them? If you use on the plane instead of checking them then they would be safer from the bad baggage practices
I will look at the tribute and the Guide 65, thank you! When my oldest DD was young she was in an Evenflo (the only 5 pt harness we could get near our house in '99) and it was hard to install, and had very little padding (actually it was padded so little, that we folded up blankets and put them under her bum so it was softer ). I was planning to ship them as traveling alone with my 1 yr old and my 5 yr old, trying to wrangle our luggage and carseats to the gates is a logistical nightmare. My original intention was to just leave the seats there as we visit yearly, but we also travel other places and it would be nice to not have to take our Britax as it is so bulky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
If someone will be with your DS the whole time I'd get a lightweight HBB. At 5 he needs to be in a HBB. The Turbobooster would be a great seat and its lightweight also.

I'm assuming when you say you don't want a Cosco seat you mean Dorel as a whole..the Guide is a Dorel seat but I wouldn't knock them all. It does have more padding than the Scenera and would probably be a good choice for your situation.

At 5 why does he still need a HBB? I honestly don't know, I thought that he would be ok to be in a booster without a back...but one with a back he may sit in better too. When I say Cosco seat, I mean a Scenera. They have no padding and don't look as safe to me...I realize they have passed the same tests....but they just aren't what I want. I will take a look at the tribute as well, thank you.
megs715 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah the scenera doesnt have padding so it might not be as comfy but it passes all the same crash testing so it is just as safe. Comfort is a big factor though! If it was me id get a tribute and a maestro that puts you at under $200 for both and your ds will be able toride alone safely if he needs to.

I would get a luggage cart and usethe seats on the plane. It does sound like aa formidable task but if you say you will be flying frequently you will soon be able to install them quickly and it wont be a big deal. Carseatblog.om just did a great post on this.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

The guide looks nice! Id like to revise my statement. Id get the guide if it isnt too much heavier than the tribute. That pink lydia is cute!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs715 View Post
At 5 why does he still need a HBB? I honestly don't know, I thought that he would be ok to be in a booster without a back...but one with a back he may sit in better too.
For a child that is used to being harnessed, I would not use a backless booster. The back portion on the booster will give him additional support and help him to stay in position. There is nothing wrong with boostering him for the trip, provided he can be trusted to be a safe booster rider (doesn't fidget with the belt, doesn't try to unbuckle, doesn't get out of position while riding). I would pack the high back portion of the booster in your luggage, padded by clothing and carry the backless portion on the plane and stow it in the overhead bin. If you do want to harness him, you can get a cheap luggage cart and some bungee cords from Walmart and stack the seats on that. Flying with two children in seats is very possible with the proper equipment. Fortunately, the proper equipment (luggage cart, etc) is cheap.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
an_aurora
Registered Users

I would recommend taking the seats on the plane.

For the 5 year old, you could try a backless booster but make sure you try it before you leave. When I took my three on vacation, my inlaws bought her a backless booster and although she'd been in a booster for several months at that point, she just couldn't do the backless. I ended up taking it back and buying the HBB I had told them to get in the first place.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote