Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Love my sitter, but...

*sigh*

But she doesn't understand how often you need to change cloth diapers. Hubby says a couple times he saw her do the butt-sniff and decide babe wasn't dirty so no need to change. Both times he suggested changing anyway and the prefolds were soaked.

Tonight I got home and he was being a grump. Checked his prefold? Yup. Totally soaked end to end. Also smelled of ammonia. I know they can get wet fast, but the smell is a give-away. He also has a red bum at the end of the day when he's with her, which he has NEVER had with hubby or me.

I love her in every other respect; she's cheerful, punctual, super sweet and loving with babe. Babe is never upset when I hand him to her, and I've never heard him crying when I call or come home. She's been such a trooper with baby wearing and cloth diapers, which is all new to her. This just really irks me because I'm doing cloth diapers so he won't get a rash or be uncomfortable.

Obviously I'll talk to her about it. I think I'll count out the number of prefolds I would expect to go through in a day (about 5 in 8 hours with a poop). We also have enough fitteds and pockets to get her through the day, but it doesn't look like she uses them either.

*sigh again*

Advertisement

Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Love my sitter, but...

Does she maybe just not realize that cloth doesn't necessarily wick away wetness the same way sposies do, and that your little one needs to be changed more often because of that? Of course...if she's *just* relying on the sniff test, I would imagine she wouldn't be changing often enough, regardless of whether your LO is in cloth or sposies...
Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When anyone watches my kids I have told them - change the diaper every two hours, no matter what. I don't care if the thing is bone dry, change it anyway. (it never is, but with the fleece liners people apparently can't tell ) AND if there is poop, change it immediately.
They can slip on the two hour thing a bit, but usually it isn't enough that it causes a rash.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
amgermain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to institute the two hour rule with my daycare provider. My daughter has nasty, stinky poops though, so if she poops you can't miss it, even in cloth

Mommy to Addi (8/13/08) and Abby (11/17/10)
amgermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmingly View Post
When anyone watches my kids I have told them - change the diaper every two hours, no matter what. I don't care if the thing is bone dry, change it anyway. (it never is, but with the fleece liners people apparently can't tell ) AND if there is poop, change it immediately.
They can slip on the two hour thing a bit, but usually it isn't enough that it causes a rash.
This exactly. I just set a time line for them and say change it no matter you thinks it is dry or wet.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
doodah
Registered Users
seller

yup, set a timeline. I check every kid, every hour. Since she is just watching your child (right?), there is no reason she cant just change him once an hour, regardless of what is or is not in the diaper. You also might go with the most absorbent diapering option you have, just in case. Just remember all the things you love about her, mention those things FIRST, respectfully ask for the diapering to change, then thank her for her cooperation. Its called a sandwich....surround the "bad" things with good things and it usually goes over fairly well, especially with babysitters. Everyone wants to here the stuff they are doing right, not just the one thing that is wrong. good luck!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I told her the 2-hour rule the first week and it seems like it hasn't stuck, that's why I was thinking about counting out the diapers for her. I'll also reiterate the 2 hour rule and explain that that's how I figure at least X number of diapers in a day. It really will be easier for her too... he is almost NEVER fussy without reason, and I think she's consoling/feeding him many times when he really just needs a change.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Lilwndr
Registered Users
seller

Perhaps you could create a daily report form like what they send home with kiddos at child are centers for her to fallout. They essentially tell what times the child was changed (and usually they write if it was wet or bm),what times they were fed (what and how much), and what times (and how long they napped). You can tell you just want to have a better idea of his schedule when you're away. Then after she gives you one, say oh I notice ou only changed Seamus every 3-4 hours...I'm sorry if I didn't mention it before, but with cloth he needs to be changed every two hours no matter what.
Lilwndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ask her if she could keep a log for you of feedings & diaper changes & naps. I used to do this when I was a nanny & every DC I ever worked at did this too. it should not be a problem for her.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would reiterate the 2 hour rule. I would also bring up the ammonia and diaper rash, no need to tiptoe around that. If someone told me to change their child every 2 hours, but I didn't and then it was brought to my attention that said child had a rash I would be mortified and rightly so. I would offer her an assortment of diapers and let her decide what to use.

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote