Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
gaakoh
Registered Users

Suggestions?

We will be rearfacing 2 carseats in a few months. We currently have a MyRide 65, which won't fit with the Graco bucket seat in my car. The seat in DH's car is an Evenflo, I believe, and it fits rearfacing with the bucket seat. So... I get to buy a new seat. I can get the same as DH's, but he complained about some button for install being on the side (no clue what he was talking about). I checked out BRU, but the many options left me confused.

DS will be 2 soon, 23 lbs, and about average height. I was looking at Britax, but have heard legroom is a complaint and if DH thinks DS is cramped he will want to turn him FF sooner. Price doesn't matter too much.

Biggest Requests:
* needs to be small front to back
* easy to move

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Advertisement

gaakoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: Suggestions?

Sounds like you have a smallish 2 yo which is good, it means you get lots of options.

Why does it need to fit against the infant seat? Is there someone else sitting in the backseat? Can you put both carseats on the sides so you don't have to worry about that? Is the Myride not fitting because it isn't fitting next to the infant seat or for some other reason?

You are right about the Britax seats, they are great seats for small cars because they are small front to back. Plus, they are super easy to install, so easy to move. But they lack leg room. I have a small almost 2yo too and have a britax and she is more cramped in that seat than others.

What car do you have? What is your budget for the seat?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
gaakoh
Registered Users

The carseats aren't touching- we don't have a problem left to right. Just front to back. Neither the bucket seat nor the MyRide will fit behind the driver seat when DH is driving. We tried putting the My Ride up a tad so that it isn't fully reclined, but then we couldn't get DS in the car- there wasn't enough room to squeeze him in between the door frame and the seat. If that makes sense.

Subaru Outback. Budget is under $300.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From what I have read outbacks and foresters are both tricky with space. Do you know that the 2yo doesn't need to be at a 45 degree angle? Once a chile has good head control they can sit up more then seats take up less room (just making sure you know that, not everyone does).

We have an evenflo tribute that fits well in our smaller car. I wouldn't normally recommend it, but it is a good seat for smaller kids and it offers more leg room than a britax. You could try a safety first guide 65. It is a brand new seat that is supposed to be smallish front to back. You could try a britax, you may like it more than you think. I am out of ideas otherwise though.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From what I have read outbacks and foresters are both tricky with space. Do you know that the 2yo doesn't need to be at a 45 degree angle? Once a chile has good head control they can sit up more then seats take up less room (just making sure you know that, not everyone does).

We have an evenflo tribute that fits well in our smaller car. I wouldn't normally recommend it, but it is a good seat for smaller kids and it offers more leg room than a britax. You could try a safety first guide 65. It is a brand new seat that is supposed to be smallish front to back. You could try a britax, you may like it more than you think. I am out of ideas otherwise though.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
gaakoh
Registered Users

Angle! That's the word I was looking for. We tried that with the MyRide, but then there wasn't room to get DS in the car- the frame of the car was in the way. I'll look into the Tribute and the Safety First Guide 65. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaakoh View Post
Angle! That's the word I was looking for. We tried that with the MyRide, but then there wasn't room to get DS in the car- the frame of the car was in the way. I'll look into the Tribute and the Safety First Guide 65. Thanks!
Oh duh! You said all of that already, sorry...I need to just go to bed

I have the same issue with the britax and DD, that was one of the main reasons I got a radian. I wonder if a radian with an angle adjuster would work? Maybe google your car and a radian and see what comes up? Or go to car-seat.org and search for your car and radian there. I like the radian because it is low profile so EASY to load and unload the kid and it offers a ton of leg room rfing. But it can be a pain to install and has a nice tall shell (great for erf but not so much for smaller cars) But with an angle adjuster I can get the radian in our smaller car with no issues....just not an inch to spare.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Where is kristin to suggest a truefit? i think it takes up smaller space front to back than some. Subarus are not so great with car seats. Well we passed on a cute little forrester because we couldnt get annything installed properly.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
solarbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I LOVE suberus but have always heard they are not carseat friendly. I didn't sugest the truefit because I can get it in MY car with the headrest on.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the Britax Marathon 70 and a big toddler. She is FF now due to being 40lbs, but she had no complaints at all about the legroom. Sure, they don't have as much as other seats, but kids are flexible and will fit just fine. I would give the Marathon or the Roundabout 55 a shot. You may like them a lot.