Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
diana51
Registered Users
seller
seller

Chores for a toddler

Forthose of you who have kids who do chores, how did you make it happen? We want our 2.5 year old DD to do simple things like clean up toys, bring her plate to the counter and help clean up any major messes she makes. But, I don't want it to turn into a major issue, with me getting mad and then yelling and her ignoring me. I always said I would be a mom who had kids who helped around the house but I don't know how to get there without it ruining our night.

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
OneDayAtATime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It usually works with my son to say you need to pick up xxxx before we can do xxxx. He has been picking up since around 18 months so by now I usually only have to ask once. When he gets in a grouch mood and doesn't want to do it I just make sure I'm consistent about him picking up before moving on to something else. If he doesn't pick up, we just don't move on to the next activity. It will probably be a battle for a few days but kids catch on quick. The main thing is to be consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chores for a toddler

She is only 2.5 years old. You can't expect exceptional listening and complete obeying at this age. Your asking too much. You can't get upset at a child this age to the point where it would ruin your night and yelling. My kids have chores sure. I have them help ME clean up. My kids make a lot of mess and there is no way a little that age could nor should I expect them to clean it all themselves. There attn span is about 10 min max of picking up. I think it's good for children to pick-up/help-out/have chores but there is a difference of what is our job and what a child is expected to do age appropriately. I think your expectation is a little high.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

make it fun. My 2 year old is always happy to help me. Like when I'm sweeping or cleaning the house I give my 2 year old a rag and a spray bottle with water in it and she "helps" me. Do I really expect her to clean the house? NO. When she makes a mess with her toys I always offer to help her clean up and we sing while we do it. I don't demand anything from her because it wont happen. My oldest is now almost 4 and I'm just now starting to get her to really do chores like make her bed and help clean up after herself. We have a chores chart and she thinks it's fun. But once it starts getting demanding and "you need to do this" say goodbye to your kids obeying. You need to have the attitude like "wanna help mommy?" kwim? But at 2.5 I wouldn't expect too much out of her and getting mad is going to make her resist it even more. Make it a fun thing
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I do like what someone else said about the toy clean up. If there is a mess on the floor we can't play with anything until it's cleaned up and only then can we get something else out but cleaning up with them really helps
Old 04-13-2012, 04:34 AM   #6
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
My boys (2 and 4) put their dishes in the sink after meals. If they forget, I remind them. We have pick up times throughout the day, and I always have them pick up before bedtime.

I think incorporating it into your routine helps, as well as making it a "big helper" kind of thing. My guys are happy to clean up messes they make, and they are perfectly capable of doin s.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 3yo lo enjoys helping. His "jobs" are to help pick up toys, put the napkins and silverware on the table-no knives-and this helps counting! He also puts away his own socks and undies and he puts away the cloth napkins as well.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've found that for the most-part my kids like to help when they think it's a big kid/adult job. They love bringing their plates to me (sometimes I wish they wouldn't lol), they love putting clothes in the washing machine/moving them to the dryer and putting their clothes away in their drawers, and if they find a dust pan and broom, they're all over it. Picking up toys is hit or miss, but we also do the "if you want to play with xxx, we need to put xxx away first" and if all else fails, we do a mass toy pick up at the end of the night.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

We have a photo chore chart of the chores she is expected to do (she started at 4, so a little older). Every day she checks the chart which has the photos of the day's jobs, and the chart tells her what to do, not me, so it's more independent and I don't have to be the "nag".

Her chores are collecting family cloth (small trash bin), collecting Monday trash, fill up family cloth baskets, pick up dog Kongs, feed fish, put away kid cups, set table (napkins and silverware), and put away her clothes. She only has a few chores per day.

Last edited by kangasox; 04-13-2012 at 06:36 AM.
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
diana51
Registered Users
seller
seller

I should clarify, I don't expect her to do all the cleaning up, I just want her to help me. Yesterday she pulled all of her clothes out and I asked her to help pick up her socks only but she wouldn't do it. I did tell her we wouldn't go play outside if she didn't help and I tried not to get angry but I felt like I gave her too many chances (since I wanted to get out of the house).