Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

If you WOH and have a toddler, how do you keep your house clean?

I've been trying to keep my house under control, but like we all know, as soon as you clean one thing with a toddler around you have 20 new messes to clean up.

I've been looking around at various "20 minutes a day" lists and so forth. I'm amazed because before a kid it was a breeze to keep my house clean. Hahahahahahahahahahah. Not now!

I've tried getting him involved in helping, i.e. giving him a squirt bottle to help with windows, letting him sweep with his own broom, etc. some of that is helpful, but sometimes it results in more cleanup for me.

So... when do you clean if you WOH? Mostly the problem is that by the time we get home from daycare/work, we're hungry, I have to fix dinner, then we clean up dinner, playtime, and then it's bathtime and bedtime and by the time we get him in bed it's 8 or 9pm and I'm exhausted. Not to mention that I'm a member of a dance company so I have to practice more or less daily, and have rehearsals 2 times a week for 2-3 hours at a time, and DH teaches middle schoolers for science olympiad after work one day a week, plus we have church obligations on the weekend.

DH is willing to help but he also takes care of mowing outside which is already having to be done twice a week now, and that takes 2 hours, plus he does all the trash and recycling stuff and he helps with laundry and dishes. And, he gets home later than I do from work.

The house doesn't have to be spotless, but we do have 2 dogs and 3 people living in it, and DH has awful dust mite allergies, so it can't be squalor either. Right now I can't even get to the dusting and vacuuming.

ETA.. I did go up the street to a neighbor's yesterday and asked if her 8 year old daughter can come down 1 day a week and play with DS while I get some things done. But, I'll still have to supervise somewhat.

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com

Last edited by dancermommy1; 04-13-2012 at 10:49 AM.
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you WOH and have a toddler, how do you keep your house clean?

I work part time evenings so I wake up around 730, get the elementary kid off to school and sometimes my preschooler, come back, drink tea/quiet time, then clean my house, cook dinner, play, take my youngest out sometimes, make lunch and then get ready for work. When I worked days I would clean after bedtime. HTH

Eta: my kids are 16, 8 and 4 but i have done the same routine for years.

Last edited by eguisgirl; 04-13-2012 at 10:57 AM.
eguisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't! lol. We do most of our cleaning on the weekends bc we are too tired at night to really do anything. I've also found that having company over is a good motivation to clean. Otherwise I don't really have much of a reason to.

Dh does the vacuuming and mowing. I do laundry and *most* dishes, he might argue that though. Everything else is as needed, or when it really starts to bother me.

Yes dh is a sahd (3days/wk anyway) but he is terrible at multitasking and usually naps during ds's nap bc he can't seem to go to bed before 1am.

eta, we also have 2 dogs, plus a cat, 3 people and soon to be another person. Honestly it really makes me feel better to know that other people struggle with this too. Sometimes I think if we had more space it would be easier to keep things at least looking picked up, but who am I kidding?

Last edited by mommyria2; 04-13-2012 at 11:10 AM.
mommyria2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
smilewithme
Registered
seller
seller

I don't either... I do what I can, but have had to learn to relax about it. We are happy...my kids have fun, and I still take "me" time aside from working in & out of the house. It wasn't like this at first, but I nearly broke over it one day. Now, I know it's not worth the worry.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
smilewithme
Registered
seller
seller

I don't either... I do what I can, but have had to learn to relax about it. We are happy...my kids have fun, and I still take "me" time aside from working in & out of the house. It wasn't like this at first, but I nearly broke over it one day. Now, I know it's not worth the worry.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, we basically don't, either, although we have a housekeeper who comes once a month and beats out the grime, and usually the day or two before she comes we scramble to get things picked up well enough that she can do her job (some months we do better than others). DS is pretty helpful (for a 2YO) when it comes to picking up his toys if we give him very specific instructions, and we try to keep real messes (like, spilled drinks etc) under control, but generally if you walk into my house unannounced you might have to step over tons of toys, shoes, etc...
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

We clean the house together every other weekend. We each have a set of chores (DH and I), and take turns playing with the toddler and baby while cleaning. I will often also clean during naps. My 'full time' is only 35 hours a week, so sometimes I'll come home and do a little cleaning here and there before getting the kiddos from daycare. We 'pick up' almost every night.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When everyone else is ASLEEP! Seriously!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

I work full time. Dh works 7 days a week sometimes 12 hour days. The only thing that gets done daily are the dishes.

We decluttered our house and by far it has been the best thing ever. Less stuff to have to put away and clean.

Other than that I don't clean much. Just do things here and there. I rather be out riding bikes than folding launry.
Due with #2 2/14/16
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyria2 View Post
Sometimes I think if we had more space it would be easier to keep things at least looking picked up, but who am I kidding?
It wouldn't help. I often think if I had LESS space it would be easier to keep things clean, lol! We have almost 3000 sq feet.... that's 1000 square feet per person for each person to mess up. Honestly, it's so hard to keep that much house clean....it's too easy for places to be overlooked, and for spare space to become a trash heap.

I hate clutter, and throw things out like mad (or donate), but even with that it just piles up.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote