Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Booster seat question

DD is 7 and about 60lbs. She uses a Sunshine Kids/Diono Monterey booster. She has been insisting on using the base only and not the back. I have been letting her. Is it less safe to only use the base? My second question is if I continue letting her use the base only, is one backless booster better than the other? Is there a difference between the Monterey base and just a cheap one from Walmart? My DS is 5.5yrs and is near outgrowing the straps on his True-Fit. If DD is going to continue using a base only on her booster should I just buy her a cheap one from Walmart and give DS the Monterey with back since he's only 5?
I need booster experts

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Booster seat question

You get more side impact protection with a highback booster, and a lot of kids use the headwings to help keep them supported when they sleep in the car. If the belt fits her properly with just a backless though, and she's using it properly 100% of the time, even when sleeping, then she'd probably be okay going to a no-back booster. The $13 one from walmart is kinda narrow, but its pretty popular...if she's comfy in it and you can get a good belt fit for her in it, I'd be comfortable using it.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Shaunam
Registered Users

If she's staying seated properly in a backless I'd be ok with it (my DS is 7 and uses one much of the time) and it does make sense to hand her booster down and buy her a cheaper backless. The harmony Cruz has nice leg support for older kids. The harmony lite rider is even cheaper and comes in fun designs. The Graco backless is nice too, just make sure the screws are in the armrest (many people forget this step).

If you foresee any longer road trips in the near future, I'd keep the Monterey for her and buy a new seat for your DS, either another harnessed seat or a booster. The backs help support them when they fall asleep or get fidgety on a road trip.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! She NEVER sleeps in the car. Not even as a toddler lol. I did forget about the extra side protection aspect though. She feels like a baby when she uses the back on the Monterey and being that she's in gr1 I'd like her to feel a bit more mature than her brother who is still in a car seat lol.+

ETA: I just looked at the Harmony and it's really cute but I didn't see it anywhere in Canada

ETA again, I lied it's on the Walmart site lol.

Last edited by EmsMom; 04-13-2012 at 05:39 PM.
EmsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
an_aurora
Registered Users

I'd totally pick up a Harmony backless. I actually really like it, for a $15 seat it has really good belt placement. My very petite 37lb 6 year old fit it great.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
The harmony is a great little booster I also like the no back turbos as well.

Since no one answered yes, the Montetey can be used without the back. Perfectly allowable.

My kids go back and forth. Any long road trips and over the winter and the backs go on but locally and in good weather I let them go backless. In the husbands truck they are always backless in turbos since that is all that fits with a complete air or true fit in the middle.

My daughter is almost 9 and still riding with the back on. She doesn't even question it even though most of her friends ride with no booster at all.