Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
BrittBBT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm not ready!! :(

I will be enrolling my son ( he will be six in June) in Kindergarten this year, and I'm in a panic!! I had fully planned on homeschooling him, but he refuses to learn anything that he isn't interested in, and I truly think he will flourish in school.
I'm just not ready. For the illnesses that he will bring home to me and his younger brothers. For him to bring home lice. For PT conferences because he can be very stubborn and mouthy. For him to be away from me all day.
Enrollment is May 9th.

Tell me it's not so bad....

Advertisement

Brittany-mama to a bunch!Wife to Joseph Missing Zahra and Jayden my NCC and SAHM to Evan (5) Gavin & Bryce (3) and Avery (10.27.11)My planned UC, Daddy-caught Boobie Monster! 8lbs, 20'' long and 14'' head circum.
BrittBBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
crazymom
Registered Users
seller

It's not so bad. I did Abeka home preschool with my daughter and planned on hs'ing her. She is very smart but picks things up enter in a classroom setting. She was in k4 this year and is reading and smarter than I ever imagined she would be at this age. I was very apprehensive. She is stubborn and bossy. Not really in a bad way. She is just independent and a control freak ( gets that from her mama). I spoke to te teacher before school stared and told her my concerns. I explained that I wasn't telling her how to run her class, but certain things work better than others with her. Her teacher thanked me and said she wished more parents came to her like that. Dd has had one cold his year, other than that, she has remained fairly healthy. I did bf her until she was two, so that might help. Just know you are doing whats best for your son and go with the flow.

Di..... mom to my teen, my princess, and a new addition may 2012. I can spell but my iPhone can't!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Re: I'm not ready!! :(

He will be fine!!!!!!! Its gonna be harder on you. I had a newborn shortly after my DS started kinder. We were rarely sick and weve never had lice. Hes in 4th now. Kinder isnt a requirement in most states so if it isnt working pull him out and homeschool for the rest of the year. See how that goes. Chances are hes gonna like having his own space at school away from the little ones.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
BrittBBT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymom
It's not so bad. I did Abeka home preschool with my daughter and planned on hs'ing her. She is very smart but picks things up enter in a classroom setting. She was in k4 this year and is reading and smarter than I ever imagined she would be at this age. I was very apprehensive. She is stubborn and bossy. Not really in a bad way. She is just independent and a control freak ( gets that from her mama). I spoke to te teacher before school stared and told her my concerns. I explained that I wasn't telling her how to run her class, but certain things work better than others with her. Her teacher thanked me and said she wished more parents came to her like that. Dd has had one cold his year, other than that, she has remained fairly healthy. I did bf her until she was two, so that might help. Just know you are doing whats best for your son and go with the flow.

Di..... mom to my teen, my princess, and a new addition may 2012. I can spell but my iPhone can't!
I nursed him for over 3 years

I'm a little worried because he has started swearing and talking about inappropriate things, without even knowing what he is talking about... and he insists he is a grown up! he isn't a bad kid at ALL but I hope he is not as mouthy and rude to his fellow students and his teachers as he is to me!
Brittany-mama to a bunch!Wife to Joseph Missing Zahra and Jayden my NCC and SAHM to Evan (5) Gavin & Bryce (3) and Avery (10.27.11)My planned UC, Daddy-caught Boobie Monster! 8lbs, 20'' long and 14'' head circum.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
BrittBBT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkicaligirl
He will be fine!!!!!!! Its gonna be harder on you. I had a newborn shortly after my DS started kinder. We were rarely sick and weve never had lice. Hes in 4th now. Kinder isnt a requirement in most states so if it isnt working pull him out and homeschool for the rest of the year. See how that goes. Chances are hes gonna like having his own space at school away from the little ones.
I didn't know that kinder wasn't required. At least I know I can pull him out and HS him if things aren't going well.
I do think he is going to enjoy it. He gets very upset with my twins ( 3) being in his space and I know that our relationship might actually improve when he is not here whining, bossing me around all day LOL
He's my little cuddle bug, but boy! He has an issue with thinking he owns the roost!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
crazymom
Registered Users
seller

Check your state laws. It's not required in all states but also think that if you are having Problems teaching him, he will enter 1 st grade behind which could set him up for failure.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could always do a child-centered schooling at home, so he does learn the things he is interested in and then you throw in some other things that would otherwise be required at his age. That is what we do with ds1. I HS him and I let him take the lead in what he is interested in. By letting him help make the plan for the month he actually doesn't mind learning regular school subjects. He's really into science, reading and dinosaurs at the moment.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
BrittBBT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma
You could always do a child-centered schooling at home, so he does learn the things he is interested in and then you throw in some other things that would otherwise be required at his age. That is what we do with ds1. I HS him and I let him take the lead in what he is interested in. By letting him help make the plan for the month he actually doesn't mind learning regular school subjects. He's really into science, reading and dinosaurs at the moment.
This is what we have been doing, but I can't keep up with it. I have three other kids underfoot - 3, 3 and 5 months. It's too much for me to handle. I am suffering from depression and I have little patience with him. I wish I could afford a tutor and keep doing the unschooling but that isn't an option
Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would enroll him and see how it goes. There are many many kids who flourish in school. DD can be a total PITA at home, but is an angel at school, and is thriving.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
mkrisel
Registered Users

It sounds like you have really thought this through-I'm sure there will be bumps along the way (as there are with all kids) but he will be fine!
I don't think he will bring home many colds. Especially if you teach him good hygiene habits.
Many kids are very different in a school setting with a teacher than their patents. Not that it will change his personality, but I hear from patents all the time how stubborn kids are at home and it is something I have never seen at school. And honestly, stubbornness is a great life skill that a good teacher will want to channel, but not extinguish. I think meeting with the teacher early on to express you concerns as well as strategies that you know either work or don't work will be really helpful. From my perspective as a teacher who doesn't have kids in a school setting yet, kids are human and are where they are in their development and personalities. You have to accept and honor them where they are at. And when the school and home can work together, amazing things are possible. Just be honest and keep the communication open. Good luck with this transition!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote