Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
nichey
Registered Users
seller
seller

DIY Infant Insert for Ergo?

Is there a way to DIY an infant insert? I am a little appalled at the prices of inserts even used. I'm a fairly good seamstress, and have until October to figure it out. Are there any good tutorials out there?

Is this like recovering a carseat where it is like really bad if you don't use the manufacturer's thing?

Thanks!

Advertisement

nichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DIY Infant Insert for Ergo?

Just swaddle your lo in a blanket and stick in the ergo. Easy peasy. I never had an insert and used it from the get go cheap and easy
Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
smallthingsnyc
Registered Users
seller

I hate the insert. I honestly am not convinced it is safe as is. Though I do know it has been redesigned to have the baby upright? Which I would like better. I know a lot of people who felt like their babies were fine frogged in it without. I didn't. So I bought my husband a beco Gemini which worked so much better with a teeny baby.

Personally I just think its better to find a different carrier for a newborn. They are so teeny it is so much more comfy to have a less bulky buckle-y carrier for them.
smallthingsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
julietwhiskey
Registered Users

My Mood:

I used a Rockin Pouch when small.
julietwhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't really like the insert either. I got one for this new baby and it is so big and bulky and I don't think her legs are comfy. I don't like the insert in the beco either.... I did just swaddle her today in a medium weight blanket and put her in like that and it was great but my newbie is pretty big, little over 10lbs at last check up.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
lovemyjgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I watched the YouTube video in it. I use a blanket for the pillow. That way I can adjust her and I go down in size the bigger she gets. She is now 3.5 months and I am using 1 receiving blanket rolled and folded. I place it under her bottom so she is sitting on it like a chair. I didnt have to come up with anything for her head b/c she was holding her head up pretty well when I got my ergo. But
I don't think it would be hard. I posted pics in another post of her in the Ergo with the blanket. Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
ilovecookie
Registered Users
seller

I love the insert! You can make nice teething pads/ drool pads though. I made a set and luv them. It really zipped up my carrier!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
MommyMarshall
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad I found this b/c I got the infant insert for my ergo and I HATE it!

It is so bulky that I can't get DD snuggled close to me, so her head kept falling forward b/c there was such a big gap b/t her and me.

I wound up just making a "seat" for her out of a receiving blanket (like a previous poster said) and wrapped her up in a light blanket. Right now she is snuggled in close to me and fast asleep, and I feel like she is perfectly safe.
MommyMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote