Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
wildsissy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Arrow Families that use RAW MILK c'mere please!

Hey everyone.. I just got my first gallon of raw milk. The girl that I know purchases raw milk locally is out of town right now and I have a million questions. First, what type of container do you pick it up in? SPAM ME PLEASE I bought a gallon plastic jug there but you can't pour the milk out of it. Just a big wide mouth jug. Second.. what special things do you do with your raw milk that you wouldn't normally do with regular milk, any special recipes? Do you make butter with the cream? Buttermilk? Fav recipes? post em.. spam me! Also, how much do you pay for a gallon? Mine was $9 for a gallon but I've seen on line WAY more! I want to know everything about raw milk! lol!

Advertisement

wildsissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Families that use RAW MILK c'mere please!

I'm not going to be any help on the cost front, we get it for free from my aunt whenever she happens to be in town. Which isn't often, but she freezes it so she brings a bunch when she does come (she also brings fresh). She uses plastic vinegar bottles which she has an abundant amount of since she uses vinegar for sterilization. They pour nicely and freeze well that way also. Five out of the six of us drink it as fast as we are able so I don't know about making butter or anything. I have let it clabbor on the counter before though. The awesome thing about raw milk is that it doesn't spoil like commercially precessed milk does. You can use clabbor in recipes and its very nutritious. Oh and those of my family who are lactose intolerant have no problems digesting raw milk since the beneficial enzymes or whatever aren't heated out of it.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

We just.. Drink it? Lol. I don't do anything special with outs. It's $9 a 1/2 gallon and lasts us a week.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get ours for $3 a gallon. and we drink it right out of the glass jar we keep it in. If the cream is thick I will separate it and use it in my coffee. But a half cup of cream only makes a TBS or two of butter so I dont make butter with it. If you do whir it in your food processor or blender. Some make yogurt or kefir from it, I dont. We just drink it as is. It does go bad after about 7 days. Whereas milk from the store can last a couple weeks.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Drink it straight
Make chocolate milk or hot chocolate
Kefir
Yogurt
Over cereal
In tea
With frozen berries

IDK... how do you use store milk?

I can't speak to how much you are paying, because we get ours from my parents. It's super yummy, though, and I am very thankful for it.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We drink it straight and pay $4/gallon. I think the prices vary widely around the nation, though. I use wide-mouthed glass gallon containers, but one time I was able to get a cover from a friend that screws on in place of the regular cover and it has a spout. With summer coming up, Walmart, Target, etc. usually have those glass gallon containers with a dispenser on the bottom designed for lemonade, etc. I've always been tempted to try that out!
Usually I'll get 4 or 5 gallons at a time which lasts our family about 2 weeks or just under 2 weeks. I like to skim the cream off the top of a couple of gallons and make whipped cream to put on top of homemade waffles--yum!
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
WoodSprite
Registered Users
Formerly: TangerineFlamingo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Drink it, make ricotta cheese, umm.. cereal, milkshakes, etc etc. We pay $6 per gallon.
I've noticed we all are feeling better health-wise after switching to 100% raw milk since a couple of months ago. Ours is from a small local dairy and they are very kind to their cows, which is important to me!
WoodSprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Ours is $8/gallon, its about to go up to $9 because they just switching to all organic feed. There is another dairy locally that sells it for $4 a gallon and they're actually licensed to sell, but they have quite a few cows and I get nervous when things get too much like a production line. We just drink it. We use 1/2 gallon Ball Brand Canning Jars. We go through about 2.5 gallons a week.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
regenolds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just got our first 3 gallons. they are $6/gallon but I have to drive over an hour to her farm to get it so that adds up in gas money! She has 2 cows who are transitioning to being 100% grass fed. My kids LOVED the milk and drank it right up. I had about the last cup spoil on day 7. I was hoping it would have a lovely sour smell and I could use it in baking but it actually smelled horrible and I didn't even want to use it on my hair(which is one of the things I heard to do with raw sour milk) I plan to start making Kefir and yogurt if we can get enough milk. The cows are pregnant so milk production will start to go down soon and then they will be dry for 2 months. Boo.

Oh and we use 1/2 gallon mason jars which actually are quite easy to pour from and can get super clean. Plastic seems like it would hang on to stuff.

Last edited by regenolds; 04-14-2012 at 10:56 PM.
regenolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
dauphin
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do you lid the mason jars?