Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #11
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Families that use RAW MILK c'mere please!

Ours is $6.50 a gallon and we normally just drink it straight. It comes in a normal plastic (sadly) milk container.

We have also made milk kefir with ours or yogurt.

There is book that you should get on how to handle raw milk safely. I got it recently from a guy who is tracking raw milk poisoning. They don't have a web site but you can contact them at pegbeals@msn.com The author is Peggy Beals and her DH is the one tracking raw milk illnesses as the CDC isn't tracking them and just trying to scare us.

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
kej
Registered Users
seller

Our raw milk comes in a glass container that we pay a $2 deposit on and return each week. It's about $3.50 for half gallon. We drink it, use it for cereal and sometimes kefir is made.

The glass containers look like these http://www.localamishfarms.com/glass...s_for_sale.htm
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
lookatreestar
Registered Users

i did'nt buy milk until we were able to find a local source. ours is a bit over 10 dollars a gallon. i plan to use it in everything, french toast, ice cream, smoothies, yogurt, butter, kefir, buttermilk etc etc. dd just enjoys drinking a glass. i grew up "lactose intolerant" so just drinking a big cup of milk is still really strange and not appealing

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

We just drink it mainly and use it in cereal. Sometimes I'll scoop the cream off the top and use it separately, but I don't do anything with it that would require heating it much--I don't even use it in my coffee, just get regular organic for that. I Looove the taste of it, and it's available in the natural food grocers here, so we don't have to do any gymnastics to get it, but it's a whopping $16/gallon, so I also buy pasteurized organic milk to use for other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
I get ours for $3 a gallon.
Wow, I'm sooooo jealous right now.
Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphin View Post
How do you lid the mason jars?
With mason jar tops- rings and disky things, you can buy the plastic one piece ones though.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We pay $6 a gal and it comes in regular milk gallons. Ours is totally drinkable for 10ish days. I've been told milk from 100% grass fed cows stays fresh longer but IDK?! I never trash any. When it's too funky to drink I feed it to the chickens or bake with it. Omg-makes biscuits amazing!!! I get three gallons every other week or so. Two I skim for coffee and cream sauces and other cream needs then drink the rest. I've made butter a couple of times and it's pretty easy but very milk consuming. I will do it again for special occasions though bc it's that much better! Now if I had my own cow, I'd be making it all the time,hehe!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not to hijack, but. . .Did anyone find the taste of raw milk hard to adjust to?

Just bought my first ever quart of raw milk and tried to drink a glass last night and found it very. . .um, strong tasting. I don't know if it was the fat content or the fact that I haven't drunk cow milk in a few years (switched to almond milk), but I felt like I could taste cow and it kinda grossed me out. And I used to like the taste of pasturized milk. So now I have to find other ways to use it as I don't want to wast it. . .maybe I'll freeze it for now. How long would it last in the freezer? Either that or try my hand at yogurt making. . .
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby

Just bought my first ever quart of raw milk and tried to drink a glass last night and found it very. . .um, strong tasting. I don't know if it was the fat content or the fact that I haven't drunk cow milk in a few years (switched to almond milk), but I felt like I could taste cow and it kinda grossed me out. And I used to like the taste of pasturized milk. So now I have to find other ways to use it as I don't want to wast it. . .maybe I'll freeze it for now. How long would it last in the freezer? Either that or try my hand at yogurt making. . .
Ours tastes like.. Milk.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
It's probably because you're used to almond milk. I find raw milk heavenly, but I've always, liked the taste of cow milk, and I find milk substitutes like almond milk, coconut milk and soy to be watery. It should freeze fine or make into yogurt. If you want to start drinking it, you might want to start out with trying some skim milk first and work your way up. Here, you can buy raw skim milk, but you could also try scooping the cream off the top and making less rich.
Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #20
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I just made cottage cheese 2 days ago with Alton Brown's recipe... he says use skim, but we have our own milk cow and I have to find ways to use up all the milk we get daily (so won't be skimming it).

You can make buttermilk, kefir for smoothies, sour cream, cottage cheese, cream for coffee (if you have milk from a jersey cow, you'll have a lot more cream vs. milk from a holstein), just drink it.

So interesting to read what people are paying for it!

We have a couple stainless steel milk pails we use and also BPA free plastic jugs (be sure to wash really good in super hot water... you can smell when it's good and clean).
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote