Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Custody Question

For those of you with joint custody, did it change once your child started school? If you and your ex live in 2 different cities(30 miles apart) how does that work for schooling if say Dad has the child Monday/Tuesday, Mom has the child Wednesday/Thursday, and then it's every other weekend.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

Re: Custody Question

What my ex and I did the first two weeks of me starting work (4-midnight) was he'd pick up the kids when he got off work, then drop them off to school (daycare) the next morning. He lives about 20 minutes away, but less miles. When he "overslept" a nap by 3 hrs and I got a call from the daycare about them not being picked up, I ended that. I wish you the best of luck!
EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

well you have a couple choices.

one or both of you can move and live in the same school district.

one of you can drive the child to whatever district you put him in.

you can put him in a private school that is semi convenient for both of you and good for him ...

another choice is for someone to get every weekend of three weekends a month. and someone to keep him monday-thursday night so it means someone has four and someone has 3 nights but the one with three gets weekend..

one of the things we are stuck on is as he enters school hes going to want to do activities and we want him to but that means we both need to commit to them regardless of the schedule we do so he can make every practice/rehersal/concert/game etc...

We are trying to figure out what we are doing for school to :/ .... next year is private but we haven't found a private school we love :/ as far as public he will go into whichever one of us live in a better district I think but we plan on entering the lottery for the local magnet school but theres 1000s of kids per a grade in the county and only 2 classes do about 60 get in so chances are slim.. .

Last edited by monkeymama07; 04-14-2012 at 07:14 AM.
monkeymama07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
ZnBmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sound's tricky. Keep in mind your little one will be making friends in their school and possible after school activities and such. My ex takes the kids on just Wed. and Sat. nights. I'm in the school district my kindergartner attends and I wanted to keep school nights as consistent as possible. It seemed less confusing for our kids to do just the one day in the middle of the week. Turns out Wed. is fun night for them (pizza, tv, etc) but that's a whole different problem They do look forward to that night and it breaks up the week (and gives me a break). Good luck! Custody is never easy

Hunting and pecking for fresh baby and children's deals! Follow me! CheapMamaChick on Facebook
& Cheapmamachick.com
ZnBmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I know this has been a while, but I wanted to chime in. In our divorce agreement it states that neither of us could move out of the county without the other parent's permission. And this was while the kids were still all homeschooled FT. We have 50/50 custody and I live 2 miles from their dad. The teens go to the high school that is right next door to their dad, so they have to use his address as primary parent (we have 3 high schools in our town). When they are here, I just drive them to school and pick them up. I wish DH and I could move and take the kids bc it is the most expensive county in the country to live in and we are poor and XH is not. But if we choose to move, we would forfeit our joint custody, so we won't leave.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

We have 50/50 custody but I am the "primary physical custodian" (meaning my address is used for their schooling and doctors office and such). My ex-h lives 20 miles away. I have the kids Monday-Friday and he has the kids Saturday morning until Monday morning (he brings the 3yo home and then takes the girls to school). So he doesn't exactly get them 50% of the time (I think it is more like 30%) but it is better for them during the week. Also, they stay with him on any major school breaks.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*

Last edited by AcrossTheUniverse; 05-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossTheUniverse View Post
We have 50/50 custody but I am the "primary physical custodian" (meaning my address is used for their schooling and doctors office and such). My ex-h lives 20 miles away. I have the kids Monday-Friday and he has the kids Saturday morning until Monday morning (he brings the 3yo home and then takes the girls to school). So he doesn't exactly get them 50% of the time (I think it is more like 30%) but it is better for them during the week. Also, they stay with him on any major school breaks.
Yes, seems like being in one house all week during school would make sense. Just curious how others handle it Thanks for the replies!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
laur318
Registered Users
seller

going through this too. my son is three. we are 20 miles apart.
Motherhood is the most important profession in the world.
laur318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
changingtunes
Registered Users

We are 50/50 but live closer... 15 miles apart. BM commutes the kiddos to school on her time. We do two week rotations. It's a long stretch but it's a holdover from our pre-school days when we lived 225miles apart and that was the frequency that made the most sense for the long distance. Our house is the address used for school.

We looked into doing an out-of-district application for the district between us but BM agreed to our district instead.

I think one house for a whole week would be easier. We do exchanges after school on Fridays to keep things easy too.
changingtunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

x and i share custody of ds2 (we live 3 miles apart) 2 weeks on and off. we homeschool so it's easy but if we didnt i would imagine we would choose to enroll ds2 in the school by my house since we own and they dont. i would expect that ex would have to drop off ds2 and pick him up at that school during his time of visitation or he would only get him on weekends if that was not possible.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote