View Poll Results: would you raise bugs for food?
Heck yeah, raise and eat! 2 6.67%
Heck no, the whole thing is gross. 21 70.00%
Would raise and sell, but wouldn't feed to my family 7 23.33%
Would eat at home, but not interested in raising 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Would you consider raising bugs for food?

Serious question. I heard an interview with an entomologist who said the greenest animals to eat are insects, like crickets or meal-worms. She said pound for pound you get the most protein, the least fat, and they take the fewest calories to raise. They are also ready to breed and then eat in practically no time.

So I'm curious if anyone has ever raised bugs for food, or looked into doing it, or if everyone is just icked out by the idea.

Advertisement

Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Re: Would you consider raising bugs for food?

I didn't really fit into the options in the poll... I would do it in a 'doomsday' type situation... basically as a last resort! LOL But not on any ole average day.

I saw on an episode of DD Preppers a guy forages for bugs and cooks them up in interesting recipes for his family so that if it ever came down to that last resort, his family would be used to it. I still don't think I could do it though.

I am trying to be prepared for disasters of various sorts, but I still think DD type events are highly unlikely and don't think it would be worth it to change my family's day to day life for something that might never happen... Stocking up on some extra water, food, and emergency/first aid supplies, OK... living off of bugs or living in a hole in the ground daily... I'm not that far gone yet! LOL
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

omg.. I could never get past the fact that they pop when you eat them I'm getting nauseous thinking about it.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just read an article about that..I will definately keep it in mind if starving...otherwise..no thanks!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I don't think I could do it. Maybe it I was going to starve to death - but I'm afraid even then I'd have a hard time with it.

However, if there was a market for it where I live (I have no doubt that there is NOT, though) I could see myself doing it to make money. I wouldn't think you would need a lot of space and supplies for it, either? Seems relatively cheap.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebl0901 View Post
Yeah, I don't think I could do it. Maybe it I was going to starve to death - but I'm afraid even then I'd have a hard time with it.

However, if there was a market for it where I live (I have no doubt that there is NOT, though) I could see myself doing it to make money. I wouldn't think you would need a lot of space and supplies for it, either? Seems relatively cheap.
Oh yeah, I'd totally do it to sell! There is a market everywhere, not necessarily for people who enjoy eating like they're living an episode of Fear Factor, LOL, but as feeders for fish/reptiles/etc... I could actually use some extra cash and I have a ton of unused aquariums... hummm... if anyone in MI wants me to start breeding crickets for their meals, I'm open to it! LOL :P I have a friend that used to breed cockroaches, and I know many people that have raised/ do raise mealworms, crickets, fruit flies, etc... I used to breed feeder rats/mice too... but I had anywhere from 1-14 snakes at a time and I was only breeding to feed my own snakes...
Old 04-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

lol at all the grossed out responses. Definitely, if Armageddon hit we'd all eat bugs and be grateful, but I thought for sure someone on here would be the cool person who exists outside of societal prudery to say "Oh of course, I raise and stir-fry my own beetles, they're awesome!" K maybe I wasn't sure of it, but I do think it's a funny cultural thing that only starvation could drive us to eating a plentiful, cheap and nutritious foodsource like bugs... but we'll eat hot-dogs no problem. But man I love me some Chicago hot dogs!

Last edited by Palooka; 04-15-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
lol at all the grossed out responses. Definitely, if Armageddon hit we'd all eat bugs and be grateful, but I thought for sure someone on here would be the cool person who exists outside of societal prudery to say "Oh of course, I raise and stir-fry my own beetles, they're awesome!" K maybe I wasn't sure of it, but I do think it's a funny cultural thing that only starvation could drive us to eating a plentiful, cheap and nutritious foodsource like bugs... but we'll eat hot-dogs no problem. But man I love me some Chicago hot dogs!
I don't eat hotdogs... I did as a kid, but I've not really had many at all in years... we went to a cabin over Easter and my sister stopped by with cony dogs and chili, I made one, bit into it, spit the bite out and gave it to my mom... it was SO GROSS!!! The crunch/pop through that skin! UGh!! WORST HOTDOG EVER!!! I'd rather eat the ones from the local home improvement store! (and I did once when I was pregnant with DD, for some reason I had extreme aversions to meat of all sorts besides chicken, but when I smelled those hot dogs, I had to have one! LOL ... but I haven't had one since...)

So I TOTALLY get the grossness of the bug pop! LOL My dad made me eat chocolate covered ants as a kid, told me they were chocolate covered raisins... I didn't notice the difference... so maybe if they're prepared right I could do it?! LOL
Old 04-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

If anyone has ever had the chance to visit the Purdue U's SpringFest, then they might have had the fortune of tasting some chocolate chip cricket cookies, meal worm stir fry or chocolate dipped crickets. I've eaten them-and they're quite tasty- but I don't think I'd raise them.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
jamienev
Registered
seller

My Mood:

One word.NO
jamienev is offline   Reply With Quote