View Poll Results: would you raise bugs for food?
Heck yeah, raise and eat! 2 6.67%
Heck no, the whole thing is gross. 21 70.00%
Would raise and sell, but wouldn't feed to my family 7 23.33%
Would eat at home, but not interested in raising 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Would you consider raising bugs for food?

My first reaction was no way but the more I think about it, it might not be so bad but no way I could get my husband to go along with it.
On the subject of hot dogs. After almost losing our daughter to one we rarely have them.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
My first reaction was no way but the more I think about it, it might not be so bad but no way I could get my husband to go along with it.
On the subject of hot dogs. After almost losing our daughter to one we rarely have them.
Do you mind sharing that story with me (via PM if you don't want to post it)? I'm very sorry you had to go through that, but I've heard it's a common occourance and people don't take it seriously enough... I always get that crazy mom look when I turn down hot dogs for my kids, or cut them up really small...
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Did you ever wonder who said it was acceptable to eat chicken, beef, goat and why lots of people aren't grossed out by that?? Is it because they've been told from the beginning that it's okay? Not that I would but if you gave your kids bugs from the beginning like we do other foods it would be totally normal to them. Really when you think about it it's no worse than eating a cow...just a lot smaller. I still would never do it though, I'd be vegan
Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmama2 View Post
Did you ever wonder who said it was acceptable to eat chicken, beef, goat and why lots of people aren't grossed out by that?? Is it because they've been told from the beginning that it's okay? Not that I would but if you gave your kids bugs from the beginning like we do other foods it would be totally normal to them. Really when you think about it it's no worse than eating a cow...just a lot smaller. I still would never do it though, I'd be vegan
As in you WOULD be if you had to eat bugs, or you are? I ask simply because I am leaning towards a more vegetarian (I LURVE cheese!!! LOL) lifestyle and I really need more info on how to up my proteins and vitamins that I'm lacking form meat...
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only read a cpl responses but wanted to comment. I would deff raise to sell but not consume. I have no probs with others doing it because like you said, it's super nutritious. You prob couldn't tell what it was if cooked anyhow. I would do it if I got lost in the woods or we were starving, ect. I'm not icked out by it, they just arn't appealing to me. I try to only stick with foods from scratch for my family and food that resible what they came from, lol. We don't do the whole salami or hotdogs things if we can help it. We are getting closer and closer to being very self sustained. I don't like the idea of others raising or cooking our food.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote