Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
brookglen
Registered Users

Autoimmune disease and miscarriage

So, as I make my way through my second cycle after my mc, I'm suddenly gripped with fear. What if the docs are missing something? I wonder if anyone here has shared my experience or has some insight?
Last October I stopped nursing my daughter (she was 10 months) and my husband noticed a small bald spot on the crown of my head. Then the spot got larger and another one developed in my bangs. I went to one doctors who brushes it off and said I just needed to visit a dermatologist. I did, she gave a me a few injections of cortisone and sent me on my way. I have now seen two dermatologists who have treated me with the same regimen, I go in every three weeks. The spots are huge now, one about the size of baseball and the other the size of a silver dollar. No one has ever really given me an explanation as to why my hair is falling out. I have no other real symptoms. Then I have this miscarriage in March. I'm scared that it wasn't just a chromosomal issue that will not happen again, I scared that the doctors missed something and there is actually something really wrong with me. My gut is telling me to dig deeper and not just wait until I lose another baby, but no doctors are really interested in doing any digging. What should I do, what could be going on?

Advertisement

brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Autoimmune disease and miscarriage

You can make your doctors do something Alpacia (I think that is how it is spelled, hair loss) isn't normal. I also know that your thyroid can cause this issue. My grandmother has has thyroid problems for years and has this issue. Thyroid obviously can cause problems reproductively as well.

Are you seeing an RE or a Peri about your losses? That is a good place to start if your not.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
brookglen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
You can make your doctors do something Alpacia (I think that is how it is spelled, hair loss) isn't normal. I also know that your thyroid can cause this issue. My grandmother has has thyroid problems for years and has this issue. Thyroid obviously can cause problems reproductively as well.

Are you seeing an RE or a Peri about your losses? That is a good place to start if your not.
My new OB mentioned looking into my old files to see if she saw anything strange, but never heard anything from her after the fact. I agree alopecia is not normal. And I've just kind of covered it up and forgotten about it. But it just occurred to me that the coud absolutely be connected to something else.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
I had this happen to me about 5 years ago. I actually had a yeast infection in my hair. Try that.??
Old 05-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
brookglen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921 View Post
I had this happen to me about 5 years ago. I actually had a yeast infection in my hair. Try that.??
But that would result in a miscarriage, would it?

I'm seriously just spit balling. It could be nothing. But I'll feel so terrible if I have another mc and something could have been done to prevent it.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
No it wouldn't. I was thinking it wasn't related.