Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can I just bang my head several times??

3 is normal here...hbb or nbb. DD is almost 2, still rfing and will be for at least another yr(dh wants to rf her to the max of her radian, she is 19lbs and 30 inches tall so that would be a long time yet)....boosters are no where on my radar yet. But if I had to guess, I would say booster at 6 or 7.

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son just turned 5 and he has been in a HBB for about 3 months. He does well in it. I preferred him in the marathon but he will be going to summer camp starting in June and the van that picks them up only does backless boosters for kids 3-8 (must be in a seatbelt at age 8 or 80 lbs). No carseats allowed. There is no other option for him this summer and I can't drive him. So I put him in the HBB to prepare him for the backless this summer. I intend to keep him in the HBB in my car.

Last edited by Kimmyann; 04-17-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
My son just turned 5 and he has been in a HBB for about 3 months. He does well in it. I preferred him in the marathon but he will be going to summer camp starting in June and the van that picks them up only does backless boosters for kids 3-8 (must be in a seatbelt at age 8 or 80 lbs). No carseats allowed. There is no other option for him this summer and I can't drive him. So I put him in the HBB to prepare him for the backless this summer. I intend to keep him in the HBB in my car.
There is no way I would allow for my 3 year old to get in the vehicle with anyone who made it mandatory that my 3 year old be in a backless booster or my 8 year old in a seat belt. I would present them with safety facts and laws, stressing the fact that the laws are minimum recommendations, not absolute "must be's."
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanree View Post
There is no way I would allow for my 3 year old to get in the vehicle with anyone who made it mandatory that my 3 year old be in a backless booster or my 8 year old in a seat belt. I would present them with safety facts and laws, stressing the fact that the laws are minimum recommendations, not absolute "must be's."

that is ridiculous! Why no carseats allowed? Maybe they shouldn't be doing pick ups if they can't do it safely!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post

that is ridiculous! Why no carseats allowed? Maybe they shouldn't be doing pick ups if they can't do it safely!

The kids (yes they have to carry their own) have to take the boosters with them daily into camp and put them in their bunks so they have them in the afternoon to get back home. While they may ride van number 123 going to camp in the morning going home they may be on van 534. Also the kids don't necessarily get dropped off at the same location they were picked up in the morning so the vans can't be assigned. I would imagine parents that aren't comfortable with it won't send their kids. Its a huge camp with over 700 kids each summer and they have been doing it this way for 16 years.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Around here it seems like most 4 year olds are in boosters. At least that's what I'm seeing from friends and with my daughter's peers in her junior kindergarten class (which starts the calendar year they turn 4, so some kids are as old as 4.5 when they start. DD was still 3). And it looks like it's pretty common for 3 year olds to be in boosters. Of all the 4.5 year olds I know from recent years, my DD is about the only one I would trust in a booster, and it makes me uneasy as she still has some impulse control issues. I do have a backless that I use as an emergency or taxi seat for her and for a short trip it's ok. However, I literally just bought a Nautilus so she can be harnessed a bit longer - another year would make me much happier, and she'll be in the harness for that in our car as long as I can make it work.

I know I blamed this on low income before, but honestly what I see with the kids around here is people buy the cheapest infant travel system they can find, use it till the kid outgrows it or it becomes too much of a PITA to use (those things do get heavy), then buy a cheap combination seat that probably only goes to 40lbs on a good day to forward face and as soon as they outgrow the harness they're boostered, which for some kids can be as young as 2. It would have been for mine if I'd followed that pattern. Research? Who needs to research?
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #17
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Around here its normal to turn early too. With my DD I didn't know any better so she was turned FF before she was 2. However, at 5 she is still in the 5pt harness in the Nautilus, and my almost 2 y/o DS is in the Radian RFing and will probably stay RFing until he is at LEAST 3 or outgrows the RFing weight limit. My DD is starting to be self conscious of being in a baby seat because other kids her age don't even use a seat!!But she'll stay harnessed until she outgrows it and in the booster until she is tall enough not to need it.
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

In Wisconsin it's illegal to booster before forty pounds AND ag 4, but people are seen sticking their two and three year olds in boosters. It drives me crazy. My almost three year old isn't even forward facing yet. Yikes
Old 04-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

I have to rave a little because my ten year old is 96 pounds and 5 feet tall and still in a booster. Now I told her that she is tall enough to go without a booster, but she doesn't want to. She feels safer in her booster. I say yeah for her! She could care less what other kids think. She proudly tells them that her booster kept her safe when we got in an accident last year. She has two more inches and 24 pounds before she HAS to be out of her Monterey.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #20
VitaW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in FL where ther are virtually no car seat laws. Kids can ride in a seatbelt around age four. My friend has her four year old in a backless booster. She does sit perfectly in it so I don't say anything although I wish she was in a high back. This friend is over six feet and so is her husband so her two older kids haven't been in carseats in years. The 12 year old is six feet tall and the nine year old has been over five feet for a couple of years.

Other than that no one has their older kids in seats here. When my twelve year old was in kindergarten I doubt there was a single child in a carseat. It's sad.